Re: [SCA Newcomers] Accurate enough garb?

  • Shawn Peyton
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2002
      The best place IMO for accurate garb is museumreplicas.com Not to pricey and a wonderful store if you want pre made costumes.
      Fordrun
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2002
        I know some people will argue with me but....in the SCA you are asked to
        make an "attempt" at period clothing. Better to have new people playing than
        to leave them out because they just don't look good enough. If the outfit is
        good for you get it. As you are in the SCA longer you will naturally
        progress to better garb.

        I have heard complaints about the quality of clothing from Museum Replicas.
        Renstore.com has nice things but they are a bit pricey to my taste. Then
        again I'm spoiled in the fact that my lady sews very well so my garb is much
        cheaper and better that most "store bought" stuff.

        Herr Ehrenfried Schertenleib
        Constellation Regional Herald
        Midrealm

      • vikinggirl1224
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2002
          Ack! Museum replicas garb is NOT period and is cheaply made....dont
          waste yer cash!!!! a better alternative would be
          ChivalrySports...they are online and make reasonably priced simple
          garb that is well made and that you can decorate yourself to fit your
          persona and time period. I might also suggest checking within your
          local group...more than likely there is a seamstress or two that
          would make you proper starter garb for a small fee.
          Just a friendly suggestion from a once upon newbie that taught
          herself to sew garb just 6 hours after attending her first
          event...and yes it is pretty easy to throw together a T-tunic and
          trews. Good luck and Welcome to the SCA!!!!!

          Lady Rhiannon

          -- In scanewcomers@y..., "Shawn Peyton" <sithlord@t...> wrote:
          > The best place IMO for accurate garb is museumreplicas.com Not to
          pricey and a wonderful store if you want pre made costumes.
          > Fordrun

          Service.

        • Shawn Peyton
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2002
            Not period? How do you figure? I've never had any problems with them or their garments/weapons.
            Ack! Museum replicas garb is NOT period and is cheaply made....dont
            waste yer cash!!!! a better alternative would be
            ChivalrySports...they are online and make reasonably priced simple
            garb that is well made and that you can decorate yourself to fit your
            persona and time period. I might also suggest checking within your
            local group...more than likely there is a seamstress or two that
            would make you proper starter garb for a small fee.
            Just a friendly suggestion from a once upon newbie that taught
            herself to sew garb just 6 hours after attending her first
            event...and yes it is pretty easy to throw together a T-tunic and
            trews. Good luck and Welcome to the SCA!!!!!

            Lady Rhiannon

            -- In scanewcomers@y..., "Shawn Peyton" <sithlord@t...> wrote:
            > The best place IMO for accurate garb is museumreplicas.com Not to
            pricey and a wonderful store if you want pre made costumes.
            > Fordrun

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • dontwait4themessiah
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2002
              --- In scanewcomers@y..., vikinggirl1224 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Just a friendly suggestion from a once upon newbie that taught
              > herself to sew garb just 6 hours after attending her first
              > event...and yes it is pretty easy to throw together a T-tunic and
              > trews.

              It is, isn't it? I have one friend who's the chronicler of our fair
              shire who, totally on a whim, sat down for 12 hours and made 14 sets
              of t-tunics and fighter trous. One of thems mine and I love it! It's
              my first proper set of garb!

              Mamma M.
              (Morag the Barde)
            • Jane Allard Gray
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                --- D Dreessen <lord_ehren@...> wrote:
                > Herr Ehrenfried Schertenleib
                > Constellation Regional Herald
                > Midrealm

                My son is interested in a German persona, because he
                was born in Germany (my ex-husband was military). Any
                suggestions on where to get info on German names,
                clothing, etc.? I doubt he'll go too in depth into
                his characterization, but he is wanting a name. We
                came across the name Maximillian in a library book
                that, from the context, appeared to be German, but I
                have my doubts about that.

                =====

              • sableroseschool@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                  I have order 3 things from renstore.com and never got any of them, and the
                  amount was duducted from my credit card, and people who order from them dont
                  get them for years.
                  Lady Bryna

                  lord_ehren@... writes:

                  > Renstore.com

                • Scott Szakonyi
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                    They don't answer email, either.
                    Scott
                    sableroseschool@... wrote: I have order 3 things from renstore.com and never got any of them, and the

                    lord_ehren@... writes:

                    > Renstore.com

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • chemistbb3
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 6, 2002
                      I haven't had any problems with the Renstore. I like Pillage Villege
                      too.

                      William