Re: Accurate enough garb?

  • thepinkaisle
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2002
      Hmmm...the chemise looks okay but the bodice seems more fantasy to me
      than anything, especially with the way the skirt is attached.
      Personally, I would stay away from it. Why don't you try Sofi's
      Stiches? I don't work there or own it or anything, I just happen to
      know they have very lovely gowns that are more acurate than this one.
      The important thing, however, is that you like it. Hope that
      helped! :)

      Lydia

      --- In scanewcomers@y..., Jane Allard Gray
      <ladyjane_in_colorado@y...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have any experience with
      > hollywood-costumes.com? I'm wanting to get some
      > inexpensive garb that will get me by until I figure
      > out my persona and can make my own. I'm getting some
      > loaner garb tomorrow, but would prefer to have my own.
      >

      > Would you please look at the following link and let me
      > know if this will do just to get me by for now, or is
      > it ridiculously inaccurate:
      >
      > http://www.hollywood-costumes.com/images3/ch01588.jpg
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > =====
      > LadyJane and:
      > Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
      > The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
      > Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
      > Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
      > Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
      > Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

      > http://health.yahoo.com
    • vikinggirl1224
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2002
        - I agree the bodice is awful...Do try Soffis...she makes gorgeous
        courtgowns and they are somewhat accurate...I bought one myself a few
        years ago and its held up rather nicely and still looks great!
        Happy Eventing to All!

        Lady Rhainnon

        -- In scanewcomers@y..., thepinkaisle <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Hmmm...the chemise looks okay but the bodice seems more fantasy to
        me
        > than anything, especially with the way the skirt is attached.
        > Personally, I would stay away from it. Why don't you try Sofi's
        > Stiches? I don't work there or own it or anything, I just happen
        > know they have very lovely gowns that are more acurate than this
        one.
        > The important thing, however, is that you like it. Hope that
        > helped! :)
        >
        > Lydia
        >
        > --- In scanewcomers@y..., Jane Allard Gray
        > <ladyjane_in_colorado@y...> wrote:
        > > Does anyone have any experience with
        > > hollywood-costumes.com? I'm wanting to get some
        > > inexpensive garb that will get me by until I figure
        > > out my persona and can make my own. I'm getting some
        > > loaner garb tomorrow, but would prefer to have my own.
        > >

        > > Would you please look at the following link and let me
        > > know if this will do just to get me by for now, or is
        > > it ridiculously inaccurate:
        > >
        > > http://www.hollywood-costumes.com/images3/ch01588.jpg
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >
        > > =====
        > > LadyJane and:
        > > Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
        > > The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
        > > Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
        > > Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
        > > Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
        > > Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

        > > http://health.yahoo.com
      • seticat
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2002
          Okay... perhaps I look at things wrong, but, as it says, an attempt at
          period garb. I recommend to new folks going with a long T-tunic dress with
          a shorter T-tunic over and splurge on trim. They're fast, easy and cheap.
          Cheap being the word. Norse of the Viking era, early Celt, simple Norman
          all work and can be dressed up for court and dressed down for tourneys. And
          since I've from An Tir - land of moss, rain and rust - this works out well.

          But then ... I'll never be a Laurel for garb. And I can't see paying the
          prices of the various companies [Chiv. Sports, etc - Lord, $120 for a bodice
          dress on sale] when you're starting. A basic T-dress fits so many periods.
          Dress it up with a wimple, a veil, a hood and you're good to go. Save your
          money for when you've got a good idea of what you want.

          Various places to look for ideas:
          http://southernshores.dracowolf.com/gull/articles/sewing/first_garb.html
          http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html
          http://www.virtue.to/articles/
          http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html#garb
          http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html#garb
          http://www.geocities.com/duntraigh/garb.html - good
          http://www3.sympatico.ca/noergate/costuming.html - look down the page

          Look. Read. Try. Enjoy.

          YIS,
          Rowan
        • Jane Allard Gray
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2002
            --- seticat <seticat@...> wrote:
            > But then ... I'll never be a Laurel for garb. And I
            > can't see paying the
            > prices of the various companies [Chiv. Sports, etc -
            > Lord, $120 for a bodice
            > dress on sale] when you're starting. A basic

            Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions on my first
            set of garb. Museum replicas is a bit pricey for me,
            especially since (as pointed out above) I don't know
            yet what my persona will be and if I will keep wearing
            it after a few months. I did find a site that has
            clothing at VERY reasonable prices and seems much more
            authentic. It's www.garbtheworld.com

            =====