Accurate enough garb?

  • Jane Allard Gray
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2002
      Does anyone have any experience with
      hollywood-costumes.com? I'm wanting to get some
      inexpensive garb that will get me by until I figure
      out my persona and can make my own. I'm getting some
      loaner garb tomorrow, but would prefer to have my own.

      Would you please look at the following link and let me
      know if this will do just to get me by for now, or is
      it ridiculously inaccurate:

      http://www.hollywood-costumes.com/images3/ch01588.jpg

      Thanks!

      =====
      LadyJane and:
      Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
      The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
      Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
      Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
      Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
      Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • thepinkaisle
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2002
        Hmmm...the chemise looks okay but the bodice seems more fantasy to me
        than anything, especially with the way the skirt is attached.
        Personally, I would stay away from it. Why don't you try Sofi's
        Stiches? I don't work there or own it or anything, I just happen to
        know they have very lovely gowns that are more acurate than this one.
        The important thing, however, is that you like it. Hope that
        helped! :)

        Lydia

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., Jane Allard Gray
        <ladyjane_in_colorado@y...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have any experience with
        > hollywood-costumes.com? I'm wanting to get some
        > inexpensive garb that will get me by until I figure
        > out my persona and can make my own. I'm getting some
        > loaner garb tomorrow, but would prefer to have my own.
        >

        > Would you please look at the following link and let me
        > know if this will do just to get me by for now, or is
        > it ridiculously inaccurate:
        >
        > http://www.hollywood-costumes.com/images3/ch01588.jpg
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > =====
        > LadyJane and:
        > Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
        > The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
        > Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
        > Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
        > Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
        > Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

        > http://health.yahoo.com
      • vikinggirl1224
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2002
          - I agree the bodice is awful...Do try Soffis...she makes gorgeous
          courtgowns and they are somewhat accurate...I bought one myself a few
          years ago and its held up rather nicely and still looks great!
          Happy Eventing to All!

          Lady Rhainnon

          -- In scanewcomers@y..., thepinkaisle <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hmmm...the chemise looks okay but the bodice seems more fantasy to
          me
          > than anything, especially with the way the skirt is attached.
          > Personally, I would stay away from it. Why don't you try Sofi's
          > Stiches? I don't work there or own it or anything, I just happen
          > know they have very lovely gowns that are more acurate than this
          one.
          > The important thing, however, is that you like it. Hope that
          > helped! :)
          >
          > Lydia
          >
          > --- In scanewcomers@y..., Jane Allard Gray
          > <ladyjane_in_colorado@y...> wrote:
          > > Does anyone have any experience with
          > > hollywood-costumes.com? I'm wanting to get some
          > > inexpensive garb that will get me by until I figure
          > > out my persona and can make my own. I'm getting some
          > > loaner garb tomorrow, but would prefer to have my own.
          > >

          > > Would you please look at the following link and let me
          > > know if this will do just to get me by for now, or is
          > > it ridiculously inaccurate:
          > >
          > > http://www.hollywood-costumes.com/images3/ch01588.jpg
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > =====
          > > LadyJane and:
          > > Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
          > > The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
          > > Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
          > > Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
          > > Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
          > > Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

          > > http://health.yahoo.com
        • seticat
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2002
            Okay... perhaps I look at things wrong, but, as it says, an attempt at
            period garb. I recommend to new folks going with a long T-tunic dress with
            a shorter T-tunic over and splurge on trim. They're fast, easy and cheap.
            Cheap being the word. Norse of the Viking era, early Celt, simple Norman
            all work and can be dressed up for court and dressed down for tourneys. And
            since I've from An Tir - land of moss, rain and rust - this works out well.

            But then ... I'll never be a Laurel for garb. And I can't see paying the
            prices of the various companies [Chiv. Sports, etc - Lord, $120 for a bodice
            dress on sale] when you're starting. A basic T-dress fits so many periods.
            Dress it up with a wimple, a veil, a hood and you're good to go. Save your
            money for when you've got a good idea of what you want.

            Various places to look for ideas:
            http://southernshores.dracowolf.com/gull/articles/sewing/first_garb.html
            http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html
            http://www.virtue.to/articles/
            http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html#garb
            http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html#garb
            http://www.geocities.com/duntraigh/garb.html - good
            http://www3.sympatico.ca/noergate/costuming.html - look down the page

            Look. Read. Try. Enjoy.

            YIS,
            Rowan
          • Jane Allard Gray
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2002
              --- seticat <seticat@...> wrote:
              > But then ... I'll never be a Laurel for garb. And I
              > can't see paying the
              > prices of the various companies [Chiv. Sports, etc -
              > Lord, $120 for a bodice
              > dress on sale] when you're starting. A basic

              Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions on my first
              set of garb. Museum replicas is a bit pricey for me,
              especially since (as pointed out above) I don't know
              yet what my persona will be and if I will keep wearing
              it after a few months. I did find a site that has
              clothing at VERY reasonable prices and seems much more
              authentic. It's www.garbtheworld.com

              =====