Introduction

  • Jane Allard Gray
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 29 8:52 AM
      Hi, just joined the list and wanted to introduce
      myself. I've never been involved in the SCA, but
      have had friends over the years who have been (not
      currently though). I was a theatre major with a minor
      in English Lit ('nuff said? ;) but have strayed in
      recent years from my artistic side. Getting back in
      touch with the thespian in me is long overdue.

      I have no idea why it has taken me so long to think of
      the SCA. I have a 12-year-old son who is interested
      as well. We will be going to our first event this
      weekend. What is the best way to make friends at
      these events? I'm the type of person that hates to
      "intrude" on other people's space, so it's sometimes
      hard for me to meet people.

      Thanks in advance,

      =====
      LadyJane and:
      Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
      The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
      Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
      Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
      Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
      Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Marco and Jitka Sainte
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 20, 2004
        Hello, all. I'm Jitka Ivanovna Kianinov. My husband and I are pretty new, and I wanted to introduce us to the list. So, hail the list!!

        We're both non-traditional college students (read: older than we should be to just be starting school). He's gonna be a highschool history teacher. I was going to be a nurse, buuuuut I'm rethinking that. In any case.... my persona's Russian, his is some kind of Middle Eastern, although that's about as far as he's gotten. (Anyone have any ideas for a ME name that's not necessarily Islamic? :) )

        Anything more you want to know, just ask. I'll try to be nice, but I've gotten to that "want to kill everyone" stage of quitting smoking, so please... don't think I really want to kill you. :)

        Jitka
        P.S. I have a quirky sense of humor, too.

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 21, 2004
          On Tuesday 21 September 2004 02:01, Marco and Jitka Sainte wrote:
          > his is some kind of Middle Eastern, although that's about as far as he's
          > gotten. (Anyone have any ideas for a ME name that's not necessarily
          > Islamic? :) )

          [Shameless cultural plug for my persona's homeland]

          Wants to be Middle Eastern but not Islamic? Hmmmm.... If you want a Christian
          persona from that part of the world, how about being Byzantine?

          Info...start here: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/byzantium/

          [End shameless cultural plug]

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

        • Marcus Dooley
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 21, 2004
            This is a little off topic but just remember. When you quit smoking, its
            not you that is getting irritable its everyone else around you. (or at
            least it seams that way). Congrats on Quiting.

            Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:

            > On Tuesday 21 September 2004 02:01, Marco and Jitka Sainte wrote:
            > > his is some kind of Middle Eastern, although that's about as far as he's
            > > gotten. (Anyone have any ideas for a ME name that's not necessarily
            > > Islamic? :) )
            >
            > [Shameless cultural plug for my persona's homeland]
            >
            > Wants to be Middle Eastern but not Islamic? Hmmmm.... If you want a
            > Christian
            > persona from that part of the world, how about being Byzantine?
            >
            > Info...start here: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/byzantium/
            >
            > [End shameless cultural plug]
            >
            > Justin
            >
            > --
            > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
            > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two
            > keys fesswise reversed sable.
            >
            > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio) http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bipigr/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1095860103/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

          • Marty Montgomery
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 29, 2004
              Greetings all.

              I have within the last two weeks officially joined the SCA and am located in the South Oaken region of the middle Kingdom. The closest branches I have around me are the Shire of Dragonsmark, College of Val d'azure, and the Incipient Shire of Marchers Keep, which when landed will mundanely cover my county. I do not have an SCA name picked out but have a few options ready. I am legally blind and can't drive but can see well enough to do most things. I am not as interested in the combat side of things as I am in the Arts and Sciences and more there on making things than doing research, but I wouldn't mind doing everything I could, even attempt to learn to fight. I do have a problem likely similar to most of you whether you're still newcomers or not. that being I'm on a /very/ fixed income and with my situation of not being able to drive that makes things difficult at times. I do have questions in regards to a name as well and I know there was discussion just the last week on it, but not sure it covered this one in particular... Is there a way to see what all the other 30,000+ of us are named so we don't end up picking a similar name? or even amongst each kingdom? As this seems to be one of the biggest points made in the various websites I've read. I do have around 6 or so names I wish to try so hopefully not all of them will be taken. After that I may try mixing a few of them to see if that works... I have a mundane name that some may think short for Martin but in my case it's not. Anyway feel free to respond/discuss here on the group or if you wish. send me private email at ke2shc at kih (dot) net or ke4shc at yahoo (dot) com as well.

              Farewell for now
              Mundanely known as: Marty Montgomery

              ---

            • Sarah Krans
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 19, 2004
                Greetings all! My name is Sarah and I'm new to the SCA. I have been
                doing Civil War and Revolutionary War reenacting for the past 9 years,
                but am looking for both a change as well as a group that I can get
                involved with all year long rather than just occasional weekends during
                the summer. I also have a wider interest in history than can be boiled
                down to specific time periods - you can call me a (living) history
                junkie if you want! LOL An 'issue' also arises because I have both a
                house in central Wisconsin and an apartment in Louisville, KY as I'm a
                flight attendant based in Louisville - which creates an issue with the
                other reenacting periods because there are few non-geographic units.

                Some of my interests are historic clothing, cooking, 'crafts', etc.
                Unfortunately these interests are in MANY different periods and places
                so I need to work on narrowing them down to start!

                Thanks!

                Sarah

                "Liberty will not long survive the total extinction of morals." And:
                "As long as the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when
                once they lose their virtue they will be ready to surrender their
                liberties to the first external or internal invader.... If virtue and
                knowledge are diffused among the people, they will never be enslaved.
                This will be their great security ." Samuel Adams, the Father of the
                Revolution

                Shop with me online 24-7 for all your Christmas shopping without the
                hassle of a mall at www.marykay.com/skrans

              • Genisis
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 23, 2005
                  Hello,
                  I just joined the group today and wanted to say hi. :-) I've been
                  involved with the SCA a little bit in the past but I've been out of the
                  country for a few years. When I get back to the states I would like to
                  start going to events again and I thought it would be nice to net work
                  and see whats out there. I'll be headed to the Kingdom of Atlantia
                  sometimes in June. I'm starting over from scratch with a new persona, I
                  was thinking 16th Century Italian. Any ideas where I can find a good
                  clothier to start getting my event closet back together?

                  Nice to meet you,
                  Gen
                • jaime
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 23, 2005
                    Try at the courtesan group here at Yahoo.

                    B.

                    Genisis <kuriakasandra@...> wrote:
                    Hello,
                    I just joined the group today and wanted to say hi. :-) I've been
                    involved with the SCA a little bit in the past but I've been out of the
                    country for a few years. When I get back to the states I would like to
                    start going to events again and I thought it would be nice to net work
                    and see whats out there. I'll be headed to the Kingdom of Atlantia
                    sometimes in June. I'm starting over from scratch with a new persona, I
                    was thinking 16th Century Italian. Any ideas where I can find a good
                    clothier to start getting my event closet back together?

                    Nice to meet you,
                    Gen

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Crystal ortiz
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 28, 2005
                      WELCOME to the list!

                      My name is Chrisitana though everyone pretty much calls me Gigi (its a LONG story) But depending on what style of Italian you're looking for, I may or may not be able to help you. At least I will be able to point you in a direction. You might wish also to try the Italian Costuming list here on Yahoo.

                      If you wish more information please contact me off list.

                      -gigi

                      jaime <iambagoas@...> wrote:
                      Try at the courtesan group here at Yahoo.

                      B.

                      Genisis <kuriakasandra@...> wrote:
                      Hello,
                      I just joined the group today and wanted to say hi. :-) I've been
                      involved with the SCA a little bit in the past but I've been out of the
                      country for a few years. When I get back to the states I would like to
                      start going to events again and I thought it would be nice to net work
                      and see whats out there. I'll be headed to the Kingdom of Atlantia
                      sometimes in June. I'm starting over from scratch with a new persona, I
                      was thinking 16th Century Italian. Any ideas where I can find a good
                      clothier to start getting my event closet back together?

                      Nice to meet you,
                      Gen

                      ---------------------------------

                      Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

                      ---------------------------------

                    • Melissa
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 29, 2005
                        Hi Gen
                        I will be in Atlantia, Barony of Marinus (Virginia Beach, Norfolk
                        area) late December. If you are near by and find the style you are
                        looking at doing. I could sew it up for you. Just buy the fabric
                        and the extra's and I would love to sew it for you. I like to help
                        where I can.

                        Melissa (still working on persona ~giggles~)

                        Genisis <kuriakasandra@a...> wrote:
                        Hello,
                        I just joined the group today and wanted to say hi. :-) I've been
                        involved with the SCA a little bit in the past but I've been out of
                        the country for a few years. When I get back to the states I would
                        like to start going to events again and I thought it would be nice
                        to net work and see whats out there. I'll be headed to the Kingdom
                        of Atlantia sometimes in June. I'm starting over from scratch with
                        a new persona, I was thinking 16th Century Italian. Any ideas where
                        I can find a good clothier to start getting my event closet back
                        together?

                        Nice to meet you,
                        Gen
                      • Judith Epstein
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
                          Hello, all.

                          I attended a handful of SCA events during my collegiate years in An
                          Tir. Fifteen years later, I now find myself missing it, so I'm gearing
                          up to attend my first event in the Middle Kingdom, "A Simple Day In
                          The Country," held in Edinburgh, Indiana (http://sites.google.com/site/simpleday2009/
                          ). I'll be one of many in a borrowed modern tent, wearing Gold Key
                          borrowed garb most likely, and cooking on a new, shiny Kingsford
                          tabletop charcoal grill.

                          However, I eventually intend to build up so as to buy/make my own
                          garb, Period tent, and Period cooking vessels and implements including
                          a Period fire pit or brazier. That is, if I still enjoy SCA
                          participation just as much as I did in college. I'm looking forward to
                          finding out!

                          Judith / no SCA name yet
                        • Coblaith Muimnech
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
                            "Judith / no SCA name yet" wrote:
                            > . . .I eventually intend to build up so as to buy/make my own garb,
                            > Period tent, and Period cooking vessels and implements including a
                            > Period fire pit or brazier. That is, if I still enjoy SCA
                            > participation just as much as I did in college.. . .

                            If you do decide to stick around, I highly recommend the Medieval
                            Names Archive <http://s-gabriel.org/names/> as a good place to look
                            for a period name to go with your period kit. Start with "Choosing a
                            Society Name: Hints for Newcomers", then move on to the guide(s) for
                            the area(s) you're considering.

                            In the mean time, welcome to the Society!

                            Coblaith Muimnech
                            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                            Kingdom of Ansteorra
                            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                            <http://coblaith.net>
                          • Judith Epstein
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
                              Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions about names, personae,
                              persona-origins, and encampments. Wow, if this is the help I get just
                              for saying howdy, I'm going to LOVE this group when it comes to
                              actually asking questions from you guys. I'm going to be such a happy
                              camper, pun fully intended. :)

                              I know the persona I choose will be a Jewish one, most likely either a
                              North African or a merchant/shipper along the Silk Road from India
                              through China through the Middle East and down a bit into Africa. I
                              still haven't chosen time period or specifics, but I'm looking forward
                              to sorting it all out. This isn't a request for help, just a general
                              addendum to my introduction, but if someone's got thoughts, I'd love
                              to hear them.

                              About 10 days ago I bought my first-ever sewing machine, and promptly
                              twisted my ankle on the way home from the store so I couldn't go buy
                              fabric. I got home and discovered that every sheet and pillowcase in
                              the house is already spoken for, so I couldn't sew ANYTHING, even a
                              test-square! Today I spent $22 at the Salvation Army thrift store and
                              emerged with a really lovely collection of fabrics to try sewing with,
                              as well as a salwar kameez which will probably be too small for me,
                              but I refused to pass up an entire, ready-made, embroidered outfit for
                              under $8 total. Once all those new things are washed, I'm going to
                              start in with those "making my first garb" websites I've been
                              researching for the past month. I'll let you know how it all goes, and
                              if I really feel well chuffed with the results, I'll take and post
                              pictures. No promises, though.

                              Judith / no SCA name yet
                            • Trish Mickelsen
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                                Judith, welcome to the group.  I am also in the kingdom of AnTir.  I have been playing with SCA for a number of years but Milord husband & I have just recently officially joined.  We are Wyewoodians, there are a number of our members here too.
                                 Hugs & Kisses,
                                Trish, no name yet.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                                  Greetings Judith No Name Yet,

                                  Welcome back to the SCA! And yes, you may need to find the rest of
                                  your name or stop using this descriptive. A number of SCA folk didn't,
                                  and got tagged with the names they first used. (John the Plain: "No
                                  name yet. I'm just plain John", Henry the Just: "I'm just Henry" ).
                                  But actually your first name is the most important. You can go along
                                  time with out a full name. Choosing a first name quickly, or using
                                  your regular name, does keep people from having to learn your regular
                                  name and then quickly have to learn another.

                                  <<< Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions about names, personae,
                                  persona-origins, and encampments. Wow, if this is the help I get just
                                  for saying howdy, I'm going to LOVE this group when it comes to
                                  actually asking questions from you guys. I'm going to be such a happy
                                  camper, pun fully intended. :) >>>

                                  Lol. You only heard from those folks since some of us get the digest
                                  version of this list and are only now seeing your message.

                                  <<< I know the persona I choose will be a Jewish one, most likely
                                  either a
                                  North African or a merchant/shipper along the Silk Road from India
                                  through China through the Middle East and down a bit into Africa. >>>

                                  You might be interested in this file in the CULTURES section in the
                                  Florilegium. The Florilegium is a large SCA/medieval website with over
                                  2200 differnt files on a wide variety of subjects, including all of
                                  them that you mention in your first paragraph above.

                                  Jews-msg (70K) 11/30/98 Medieval Jews, Jewish personas.
                                  Khazars-msg (16K) 3/26/08 Medieval Jewish kingdom near the
                                  Caspian Sea

                                  In the FOOD-BY-CULTURES section:

                                  fd-Jewish-msg (144K) 3/16/08 Jewish medieval food. Sources.

                                  There is also a NEWCOMERS section and although you've been in the SCA
                                  before, some of the information in that section might be of use to you.

                                  <<< About 10 days ago I bought my first-ever sewing machine, and
                                  promptly
                                  twisted my ankle on the way home from the store so I couldn't go buy
                                  fabric. I got home and discovered that every sheet and pillowcase in
                                  the house is already spoken for, so I couldn't sew ANYTHING, even a
                                  test-square! Today I spent $22 at the Salvation Army thrift store and

                                  Thrift stores are also good places to look for feastgear. Unlike in a
                                  restaurant, in the SCA, you are expected to provide your own eating
                                  utensils for feasts.

                                  Over time I have accumulated a five or six person set of armetale lead-
                                  free pewter pieces. I much prefer paying $6 to a thrift store or an
                                  SCA merchant than $22 to buy them new, for instance. However,
                                  searching for these is very hit and miss. In the meantime you can find
                                  lots of other metal, wooden and ceramic dishes there.

                                  More info in this file in the FEASTS section:
                                  feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the
                                  SCA.
                                  cleaning wooden feastgear.

                                  A few files in the TEXTILE ARTS section which might help you with your
                                  new sewing machine:

                                  sewing-msg (80K) 4/ 8/08 Sewing ideas and stitches.
                                  sewing-tables-msg (7K) 3/30/00 Ideas and comments on sewing tables.
                                  sewng-machnes-msg (31K) 6/17/05 Comments on sewing machines for
                                  SCA use.

                                  There is also a CLOTHING section.

                                  I hope this helps you or others.

                                  Stefan
                                  --------
                                • Kyla
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                                    Hello Judith,

                                    Welcome back!
                                    It sounds like you have a fairly good handle on SCA internet info, but just
                                    in case you missed this one; the society maintains a website with some
                                    excellent resources for people who don't already know everything.
                                    (Like me - I hardly know a quarter of the stuff I'd like to know!) (-:

                                    http://www.sca.org/

                                    If you look in the upper right corner, there are a couple of links with
                                    names like Advice To Newcomers and Find Your Local Group.
                                    The Advice link has info on how to go about choosing a name, some common
                                    pitfalls to avoid, and links to several pre-researched databases you can
                                    look through for name ideas.
                                    There are also some very easy directions for how to make a basic T-tunic,
                                    although if you want to start with a more period construction, that may not
                                    be the best option for you.

                                    I will also be attending Simple Day; I'll be teaching Fencing For Beginners
                                    and Train Your Ear To Carry A Tune.
                                    Stop by one of my classes and introduce yourself, if you like; I'd like to
                                    meet you.

                                    Have fun,

                                    Tabitha Pennywarden
                                    Ravenslake, Midlands
                                    Middle Kingdom

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
                                      My flatmate and I have picked names, at least tentatively. I'll be
                                      Divash and my flatmate will either use her name Mika, or be
                                      masquerading as a man called Akim. (Both Mika and Akim are actual
                                      names with actual meanings, not just "oh, it's backward, so it's her
                                      evil/male twin!") For at least part of the time, I'll be in a bright
                                      pink tunic and dark blue skirt and some kind of headscarf; Mika or
                                      Akim will be in a green salwar kameez. We'll try to drop by!

                                      Judith / Divash

                                      On Jul 7, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Kyla wrote:

                                      > I will also be attending Simple Day; I'll be teaching Fencing For
                                      > Beginners
                                      > and Train Your Ear To Carry A Tune.
                                      > Stop by one of my classes and introduce yourself, if you like; I'd
                                      > like to
                                      > meet you.
                                      >
                                      > Have fun,
                                      >
                                      > Tabitha Pennywarden
                                      > Ravenslake, Midlands
                                      > Middle Kingdom

                                    • jquest716
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 31, 2010
                                        Hi I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone my name is Jared and I'm from Nassau/Queens NY and I just attendend the Arrows and Ale event and became very interested in the SCA and everything they have to offer and how my friends and myself may become active. If anyone has info on fighting, how to create charcters and anything else please pass it on. So hopefully I will be able to get tons of info and then to get to meet everyone in person. Be well and see you all soon.
                                      • D'vorah bint al-Attar
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 1, 2010
                                          On 1 Sep 2010, at 12:18 AM, jquest716 wrote:

                                          > Hi I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone my name is Jared and I'm from Nassau/Queens NY and I just attendend the Arrows and Ale event and became very interested in the SCA and everything they have to offer and how my friends and myself may become active. If anyone has info on fighting, how to create charcters and anything else please pass it on. So hopefully I will be able to get tons of info and then to get to meet everyone in person. Be well and see you all soon.

                                          Welcome to the Current Middle Ages, Jared of Queens!

                                          I'll let others address fighting, as that's not my area, but I can help you a bit with persona. A few tips that were shared with me, which have proven helpful in the extreme over the last year that I've been associated with the SCA:

                                          * Don't hurry into one right away, unless you already have a strong idea of what you want to do. It's okay to just say "I'm from somewhere in Western Europe" or "I'm an impoverished noble" or "I'm from early Period" and not get any more specific, until you feel ready to present yourself the way you want.

                                          * Decide what level of affluence your persona. Keep in mind that if you call yourself a peasant or slave, many of the serious persona-players (who stay in character most or all of an event's duration) will probably treat you that way, which is to say, not necessarily with benign or respectful behavior. Most SCAdians take one another to be minor nobles, merchants of at least middling wealth, or bards/wandering performers/heralds/newsbearers/couriers who have a higher status from great skill than would normally be theirs by way of birth or money. The lower and poorer classes are generally either newbies (only because they haven't usually outfitted themselves very well) or what the roleplaying communities refer to as NPCs (non-played characters -- the "extras" on a movie or TV show). In other words, if an event has 100 people at it, we generally assume that those 100 people are the ones being actually portrayed, while the poorer and less noble hundreds are there, milling around but not getting underfoot or being noticed by us fancier folk. HOWEVER... if you do play someone poorer, at least you have a good reason for not spending a bloody fortune on your garb and equipment, so having a noble persona whose fortunes were lost/stolen/plundered is a pretty good idea, too.

                                          * Pick a place, any place; pick a time, any time. A person from one area is going to have a different life, mindset, experiences, biases, and attire from that of a person who originates/lives in another area. An Englishman of 1420 is going to be a very different fellow from a Spaniard from the same time, even if they share a profession, income level, and religion. Pick a time, too, because a Spaniard from 1420 is not much like a Spaniard from 1120 despite their shared language (well, as much as lingual shift will allow them to share a language). Picking a place is hard because there are so many places and they are all interesting and cool, but one will present itself to you. Maybe you're Hungarian and very proud of it, and want to learn more about your heritage. Maybe an event happened that fascinates you, so you might pick a place and time that would enable you to delve into studies about that event. Maybe you want a place you know next to nothing about, so you pick a place at random from a medieval atlas because you've never heard of it and it'll give you years of joyous searching. Maybe you'll pick a place that you don't think anyone else in the SCA is studying, so that you can be the first; or a place that a lot of people know about, so that there'll be a lot of information already out there. Whatever makes your heart sing, go in that direction! The ONLY requirement is that it be either in Europe, or in a place that had contact with Europe prior to 1600.

                                          * Think about the clothes. If you don't want to wear a certain culture's specific clothing because of how it feels or looks on you, that'll help you eliminate that time/place from your starting list of possibilities. For instance, I'd love to learn about late-period Italian or Elizabethan, but that gorgeous garb is so heavy and so hard to make, so I couldn't go in that direction. But a friend of mine is going in that direction precisely BECAUSE of the garb -- he loves to sew, is very good at it, and it just thrills him to go around looking so darned dashing. Think of how you'll look and feel in various types of garb, how easy it would be to make or acquire it, and let that help you make your decision.

                                          * If you pick mid-Period Germany and really love that, but also start feeling attracted to early-Period France or late-period Wales, go right ahead! You're permitted to register up to five persona names. There are even folks who have a different persona for almost every event. They'll go Norse for colder autumn and winter events, Greek for hot spring and summer events, Irish for their local event that celebrates Irish and other British-Isles personae, Mongolian for the yearly Asian feast... Why not? It gives a chance to really explore lots of times and places, and they find their creativity being fostered and flourishing under such variety.
                                          D'vorah bint al-Attar
                                          Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                                          dvorah@...
                                          Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
                                        • Kyla
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 1, 2010
                                            Newcomer resources:

                                            There are many resources available to newcomers on line.

                                            First, I suggest looking at the Society website: http://www.sca.org/

                                            In the upper right hand corner, there are a number of pages for newcomers,
                                            including things like how to figure out what kingdom/region/barony/shire
                                            you're in by your zip code, easy garb to make, some ideas about how to get
                                            started on building a person, and things like that.

                                            This website is also where you can find things like the society rules for
                                            the various kinds of combat, and the society's goals.

                                            From here, you can find your kingdom website, which will have kingdom
                                            specific rules for fighting, and your local chatelaine/hospitaler or
                                            seneschal's contact information.

                                            Second, take a look at the files in this Yahoo lists' website:

                                            There are files on all sorts of things, from various kinds of clothing, or
                                            garb, to heraldry, to camping equipment lists.

                                            Third, Take a very LONG look at Stefan's Florilegium:
                                            http://www.florilegium.org/

                                            Stefan has collected thousands of articles on nearly every possible topic -
                                            there is sure to be something useful to you in there.

                                            In addition, Stefan is on this list - if you ask him, he will suggest
                                            articles related to your topic of inquiry.

                                            After you've spent some time looking at these resources, talk to your local
                                            chatelaine/hospitaler - the newcomer greeter, or seneschal - your chapter
                                            president.

                                            They can suggest other avenues of research, or local SCAdians who have
                                            similar interests.

                                            Don't forget your local library, as well as the extensive online libraries
                                            springing up all over the place these days.

                                            After all of that, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask on
                                            this list - these are some of the most helpful people in the SCA, and they
                                            would love to help you in any way they can!

                                            Tabitha Pennywarden

                                            Ravenslake, Midlands

                                            Middle Kingdom

> [...]

                                            to go around looking so darned dashing. Think of how you'll look and feel in
                                            various types of garb, how easy it would be to make or acquire it, and let
                                            that help you make your decision.

                                            * If you pick mid-Period Germany and really love that, but also start
                                            feeling attracted to early-Period France or late-period Wales, go right
                                            ahead! You're permitted to register up to five persona names. There are even
                                            folks who have a different persona for almost every event. They'll go Norse
                                            for colder autumn and winter events, Greek for hot spring and summer events,
                                            Irish for their local event that celebrates Irish and other British-Isles
                                            personae, Mongolian for the yearly Asian feast... Why not? It gives a chance
                                            to really explore lots of times and places, and they find their creativity
                                            being fostered and flourishing under such variety.
                                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                                            -=-=-=-
                                            D'vorah bint al-Attar
                                            Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                                            dvorah@...
                                            Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
                                          • Bill Toscano
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 1, 2010
                                              On a more local level, you are in the oldest, and one of the most vibrant,
                                              local groups in the East Kingdom.

                                              There's contact information on the province of Ostgardr here --
                                              http://www.ostgardr.org/people/contacts.php

                                              The chatelaine and deputy chatelaine are the best place to start.

                                              There is an event coming up Sept. 11 and 12 -- John Barleycorn (
                                              http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1936), which is
                                              particularly good.

                                              There also an event at the Queens County Fair (
                                              http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=2017) Sept. 25 and 26.

                                              On Oct. 15-17, there will be horses! Warrior Nadaam (
                                              http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1985) is amazing.

                                              Pretty busy down there in New York City.

                                              Liam