Curious questions

  • elizaramz
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
      Well, I finally made it to my first event (Jara's 30 year anniversary
      party on Saturday). I was not able to stay long due to having a
      fractious 3 month old who was far too interested in all the goings-on
      to take a proper nap, but still it was an outstanding experience. One
      thing I was very impressed with (aside from the food!!) was the
      merchants' section. I had not expected the number or variety of
      vendors that were there. (I mostly managed to restrain myself, though
      I did buy a lucet and have been learning how to use it, woohoo!) I'm
      assuming, due to the numbers and the fact that not all of them were
      known to some seasoned members of my acquaintance, that many of these
      merchants come from outside the Barony? How and from where are they
      recruited? Are they generally SCA members, or are some just off-
      season Rennies? (Not all the merchandise I saw struck me
      as "authentic.")

      Also, my lord, who came with me, commented on the amount of effort
      that went into the event and wondered how often such things are held.
      I estimated that locally, perhaps only a couple of times a year, but
      that regional groups also hold events, and so one can keep rather
      busy depending on how far one is willing to travel. Is this an
      accurate assessment?

      I'm very much looking forward to my next event. I'd like to sit
      through court (I had to leave before the evening one, and was still
      sewing garb during the morning one, LOL) and can hopefully figure out
      more of the "rules" by then; I'm sure I committed countless faux pas
      with regards to royalty, forms of address, other people's campsites,
      etc.
    • ladymeliora
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
        Greetings from Meliora:

        I autocrat (run) a lot of events, so I thought I'd answer this one :)

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., elizaramz <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        I'm
        > assuming, due to the numbers and the fact that not all of them were
        > known to some seasoned members of my acquaintance, that many of
        these
        > merchants come from outside the Barony? How and from where are they
        > recruited? Are they generally SCA members, or are some just off-
        > season Rennies? (Not all the merchandise I saw struck me
        > as "authentic.")

        In general, the merchants are usually SCA members, but they plan
        their schedules just like the attendees, so they look at upcoming
        events and contact the autocrat or merchant liaison to reserve a
        space (sometimes no reservation is necessary and they just show up).
        They usually attend events close to their home area when possible,
        and any others they can fit in their schedule, so they may travel a
        bit. Sometimes they have favorite events that they come back to
        regularly, so they always fit these events into their schedules.

        When planning an event, the autocrat usually determines an area for
        merchants and lists merchants info in part of the event
        announcement. Then when merchants contact the autocrat or liaison,
        he or she hands out parcels of that space as necessary, until full.
        The merchant usually contacts the autocrat to say what they'll be
        bringing (ex: 3 tables feast gear), and the autocrat will ask if
        there's anything they need (ex: electrical hookup). Then the
        merchant comes in first thing in the morning to pay any merchanting
        fees and set up in their space.

        Sometimes, if the event is a more formal event, non-period items are
        discouraged, or the number of merchants carrying them are limited.
        Often, merchants will carry toys for kids that are "medieval-esque"
        because they will sell. Occasionally the SCA merchant will crossover
        into Ren Faires, and vice versa.

        > Also, my lord, who came with me, commented on the amount of effort
        > that went into the event and wondered how often such things are
        held.
        > I estimated that locally, perhaps only a couple of times a year,
        but
        > that regional groups also hold events, and so one can keep rather
        > busy depending on how far one is willing to travel. Is this an
        > accurate assessment?

        The average local group has about 1-2 events per year. If you look
        at an SCA calendar for a year, you'll see that they're usually spaced
        about 6 months apart. It takes a lot of planning for most events,
        especially new ones, themed ones, or Kingdom Level (Coronation, Crown
        Tourney, sometimes 12th Night). My Canton has a regular summer and a
        fall event (Medieval WarFaire and Dancer's Revolt), plus this year we
        bidded for and are doing the Regional A&S for Pentamere (this
        weekend!). We are planning our Fall event right now, and are
        discussing the events for next year.

        Additionally, the Barony that our Canton is within has an annual
        Baronial Championship, and informal Wassail and occasionally 12th
        Night. Each of the other 2 Cantons in our Barony holds 1 event each
        per year. That's about average for one locale, unless you have an
        extremely busy group. A lot of us do crossover help on other groups'
        events, so it's not as much work as holding the event ourselves.

        In many areas, there are events close enough to drive to almost every
        weekend (depending on how far you want to drive). I usually hit 1-2
        events a month, plus local meetings. Some people do more, some less.

        Meliora
      • Aine ingen MaelPatraic
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
          Greetings! I'm glad you were able to join us this
          weekend past for the 30th Anniversary event. It was a
          good day, even though the weather was yucky and cold.

          > that many of these
          > merchants come from outside the Barony? How and from
          > where are they
          > recruited? Are they generally SCA members, or are
          > some just off-
          > season Rennies? (Not all the merchandise I saw
          > struck me
          > as "authentic.")

          The merchants, from what I know, are a mixture of
          SCAdians, both local and regional and a few national
          (but usually they only travel far distances for big
          events like wars and such), and non-SCAdian merchants
          who tend to cater to larger crowds such as RenFaires
          and the like. I'm not entirely sure how they find out
          about events, but most events these days have websites
          and/or ads in the Pale with contact information for
          the Merchant Coordinator, so I'd guess that it's
          mostly done that way.. merchants find events in their
          area that they want to peddle their wares at and send
          in registrations to the Merchant Coordinator. *shrug*

          > Is this an
          > accurate assessment?

          Yup. Most groups tend to do between one and three
          events per year, with larger groups tending to do
          more. It's really dependent on the group, though.
          Some large groups only do two events per year while
          some small groups do five or more. *shrug* It does
          take a lot of effort, but it also can help to unify a
          group that lacks much in the way of common interest.
          It can be stressful, but more often it's a time of
          comraderie and support.

          > I'm very much looking forward to my next event. I'd

          Since I'm guessing you're in or near Jara, might I
          suggest you look at http://www.northshield.org and
          click on the Calendar of Events link. This will list
          all known events upcoming in the Principality of
          Northshield, which is roughly the Dakotas through
          Wisconsin and bits of Canada. If you have any
          questions about where a group or an event is located,
          please don't hesitate to ask. If you'd rather, you
          can feel free to contact me off-list at
          aine_ingen_maelpatraic @ yahoo.com (without the
          spaces.. yahoo tends to strip email addresses out of
          messages otherwise)

          > more of the "rules" by then; I'm sure I committed
          > countless faux pas
          > with regards to royalty, forms of address, other
          > people's campsites,
          > etc.

          Generally speaking, unless the faux pas was obviously
          intended, SCAdians tend to be very forgiving, so I
          wouldn't worry overmuch about it! *smile*

          I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and look forward to
          perhaps meeting you some day!

          /a
          Aine ingen MaelPatraic

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • katfletcher
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
            Whoohoo!
            We did have fun this weekend didn't we. As one of the plethora of
            cooks at this particular event, I thank you for your kind comments on
            behaf of all my fellow cooks. I hope you made it in time for
            breakfast and before the omlet ingredients ran out! (I figure we made
            around 60 made-to-order omlets, plus the pork pies, couple kinds of
            breads, homemade cream cheeses, fruit butters... Oh, my feet still
            hurt!)
            For those who were not there and for all the rest of the world, it
            was a celebration of the 30th birthday for our Barony of Jararvellir
            (Madison, WI) and for a flat fee we fed everyone the entire day.

            Merchants generally find out about events the same way we do. They
            read the newsletters, check the event schedules on the web pages, and
            ask around. The other responders are correct about mundane vs.
            Medieval. There is usually a Coordinator for Merchants who handles
            their reservations and setup/take down.

            I am glad you bought a lucet. My husband actually makes them too and
            I will be teaching a class this summer at Warriors and Warlords
            (usually called just WW) the weekend after the 4th of July up near
            Black River Falls. It is a camping event and is GREAT fun!

            (Lucet, two, sometimes four pronged utensil used to weave thin weaker
            string into stronger cord. Used in many countries by men and women
            alike up until the late 1600's. The finished cord is terrific for
            just about anything from corsets to wash lines to armor ties.)

            Here in Jara, we have varied over the years but tend to do 2 big and
            3-4 small events over the course of the year. We co-produce WW with
            the Barony of Nordskogen (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) in the summer and
            then have been typically doing a late winter to early spring event.
            Last year, we did the fall Coronet Tourney for the Northshield
            Principality. In the mroe remote past, we always did a fall event
            called the Feast of St. Bunstable.

            Evening court this time was very long but was really quite fun and
            enjoyable. (Hint: A lucet is a great way to keep your hands busy in
            Court!)

            Don't worry about faux pax too much. If you don't mean it, people
            will realize this and let you know quietly how to change. If they
            don't do so nicely, they are not the people you want to be with
            anyway, come sit next to me!!
            And hey, I bumped into the Prince yesterday and nearly spilled my
            drink on him. How much worse can it get?

            I look forward to seeing you around here.
            Kathryn

            --- In scanewcomers@y..., elizaramz <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Well, I finally made it to my first event (Jara's 30 year
            anniversary
            > party on Saturday). I was not able to stay long due to having a
            > fractious 3 month old who was far too interested in all the goings-
            on
            > to take a proper nap, but still it was an outstanding experience.
            One
            > thing I was very impressed with (aside from the food!!) was the
            > merchants' section. I had not expected the number or variety of
            > vendors that were there. (I mostly managed to restrain myself,
            though
            > I did buy a lucet and have been learning how to use it, woohoo!)
            I'm
            > assuming, due to the numbers and the fact that not all of them were
            > known to some seasoned members of my acquaintance, that many of
            these
            > merchants come from outside the Barony? How and from where are they
            > recruited? Are they generally SCA members, or are some just off-
            > season Rennies? (Not all the merchandise I saw struck me
            > as "authentic.")
            >
            > Also, my lord, who came with me, commented on the amount of effort
            > that went into the event and wondered how often such things are
            held.
            > I estimated that locally, perhaps only a couple of times a year,
            but
            > that regional groups also hold events, and so one can keep rather
            > busy depending on how far one is willing to travel. Is this an
            > accurate assessment?
            >
            > I'm very much looking forward to my next event. I'd like to sit
            > through court (I had to leave before the evening one, and was still
            > sewing garb during the morning one, LOL) and can hopefully figure
            out
            > more of the "rules" by then; I'm sure I committed countless faux
            pas
            > with regards to royalty, forms of address, other people's
            campsites,
            > etc.
          • Angela Baker
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
              Well Curious Wonderer,

              It is my experience of a year, that certain groups whether it be a shire,
              canton, barony, etc. do put on wonderfully elaborate events. I have been
              to a couple of some ones that the people who did the work did a fabulous
              job. So it just depends on how much effort the autocrats and their helpers
              want to put into an.

              My Lord and I recently went to our Baronial Championship event "Andelcrag
              Althings" that the feast was absolutely great. The feastocrat and her help
              did a wonderful job. It was the first feast I went away from full.

              The merchants I have met come from all over. And as you thought some of
              them are "off season Rennies". A lot of the ones I see frequently are
              people from within our region or barony.

              Angelline la Petita
              Barony of Andelcrag
              Middle Kingdom

              >From: elizaramz <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Curious questions
              >Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 04:32:17 -0000
              >
              >Well, I finally made it to my first event (Jara's 30 year anniversary
              >party on Saturday). I was not able to stay long due to having a
              >fractious 3 month old who was far too interested in all the goings-on
              >to take a proper nap, but still it was an outstanding experience. One
              >thing I was very impressed with (aside from the food!!) was the
              >merchants' section. I had not expected the number or variety of
              >vendors that were there. (I mostly managed to restrain myself, though
              >I did buy a lucet and have been learning how to use it, woohoo!) I'm
              >assuming, due to the numbers and the fact that not all of them were
              >known to some seasoned members of my acquaintance, that many of these
              >merchants come from outside the Barony? How and from where are they
              >recruited? Are they generally SCA members, or are some just off-
              >season Rennies? (Not all the merchandise I saw struck me
              >as "authentic.")
              >
              >Also, my lord, who came with me, commented on the amount of effort
              >that went into the event and wondered how often such things are held.
              >I estimated that locally, perhaps only a couple of times a year, but
              >that regional groups also hold events, and so one can keep rather
              >busy depending on how far one is willing to travel. Is this an
              >accurate assessment?
              >
              >I'm very much looking forward to my next event. I'd like to sit
              >through court (I had to leave before the evening one, and was still
              >sewing garb during the morning one, LOL) and can hopefully figure out
              >more of the "rules" by then; I'm sure I committed countless faux pas
              >with regards to royalty, forms of address, other people's campsites,
              >etc.

            • ibuymed
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                Your husband makes Lucets??? I am really wanting to try my hand at
                this skill.....Is it easy to learn?? Could I teach myself with info
                from the internet??? I've managed to do that with inkle weaving and
                tating..... My barony does not have a Clothiers Guild or anything of
                the sort.....so I am forced to try to teach myself the things I want
                to learn!! Do you have any links to get me started......and a clue
                on where I can get a Lucet??? I saw some at our last event
                Worthies.....but I chose to buy the inkle loom instead!!!

                Thanks for the info!!

                Isobel
              • elizaramz
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                  --- In scanewcomers@y..., "ibuymed" <vgates@w...> wrote:
                  > Your husband makes Lucets??? I am really wanting to try my hand at
                  > this skill.....Is it easy to learn?? Could I teach myself with
                  info
                  > from the internet??? I've managed to do that with inkle weaving
                  and
                  > tating..... My barony does not have a Clothiers Guild or anything
                  of
                  > the sort.....so I am forced to try to teach myself the things I
                  want
                  > to learn!! Do you have any links to get me started......and a clue
                  > on where I can get a Lucet??? I saw some at our last event
                  > Worthies.....but I chose to buy the inkle loom instead!!!
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info!!
                  >
                  > Isobel

                  I know of two online merchants who sell lucets:
                  http://www.lacis.com/catalog/catalog.htm
                  http://hedgehoghandworks.com/

                  As for learning to use it, the merchant I bought it from included a
                  small spool of thread and an instructional handout in the purchase. I
                  did a Google search on the word "lucet" though, and found many sites
                  which describe the technique. Try to find a site with illustrations -
                  it's a very simple procedure but hard to describe in words.

                  --Elizabeth
                • elizaramz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                    --- In scanewcomers@y..., katfletcher <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > As one of the plethora of
                    > cooks at this particular event, I thank you for your kind comments
                    on
                    > behaf of all my fellow cooks. I hope you made it in time for
                    > breakfast and before the omlet ingredients ran out!

                    Alas, I was very late for the event. I didn't finish all the garb
                    until early afternoon, despite working on it for the last three
                    weeks. New parenthood and large projects aren't always compatible.
                    *grin* I was hoping to sample your breakfast as well as the cooks'
                    guild Middle Eastern repast, but missed both, as well as Kingdom
                    court.

                    > Evening court this time was very long but was really quite fun and
                    > enjoyable. (Hint: A lucet is a great way to keep your hands busy in
                    > Court!)

                    Actually the baby does an even better job at that! ;-) I often hear
                    talk of court running long, sometimes causing other parts of the
                    event to be squeezed. Is this a common thing?

                    > And hey, I bumped into the Prince yesterday and nearly spilled my
                    > drink on him. How much worse can it get?

                    LOL... I still haven't figured out the various crowns, belts,
                    necklaces, etc and what they all signify. (Is there a "newbies' guide
                    to royalty" out there anywhere?) All I know is it seemed like half
                    the folks at the event were wearing them! Then there's the issue of
                    whom I am supposed to reverence and whom I am not supposed to stand
                    near. I don't feel too bad though... when I mentioned my confusion to
                    one Lady who shall remain anonymous, she said, "Heck, there's so many
                    metal hats here today I haven't been bowing to any of 'em."

                    And hey, for the other newbies, I highly recommend bringing a baby to
                    your first event, even if you have to borrow one! I had expected to
                    be a wallflower, but met so many people who came up to admire my son.
                    There's just nothing cuter than a 3 month old in a teeny tiny T-
                    tunic. <g>

                    > I look forward to seeing you around here.
                    > Kathryn

                    As do I!

                    --Elizabeth
                  • dontwait4themessiah
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 30, 2002
                      This is probably going to make me sound like a hopeless newbie, but
                      whats a Lucet?

                      Morag
                    • dontwait4themessiah
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 30, 2002
                        --- In scanewcomers@y..., elizaramz <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        >I don't feel too bad though... when I mentioned my confusion to one
                        >Lady who shall remain anonymous, she said, "Heck, there's so many
                        >metal hats here today I haven't been bowing to any of 'em."

                        Could be worse. I've picked up the unfortunate habit of calling the
                        knight who's going to be our first King 'Sir Potatohead' or 'Sir
                        Rhinohide'. It's going to get me in SOOOOO much trouble one day.

                        Morag
                      • katfletcher
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 30, 2002
                          Nothing Newbie about that question!
                          A lucet is a two (sometimes four) pronged little piece of wood
                          (envision a wooden cutout shaped like a U about 3-4 inches tall about
                          2 inches wide and about a 1/4 inch thick.)
                          String, I like to use pearl cotton, but originally it would have been
                          hand spun threads, is wrapped around the prongs and loops pulled up
                          and over each other (kind of like finger weaving or the game of cat's
                          cradle) to make a much stronger cord. If a two prong is used, the
                          cord ends up square. It is much stronger and since there are slight
                          ridges along the sides, it grips it self slightly when tied and is
                          less likely to come untied. Which is always nice on the back of your
                          dress!
                          Try hear for picture and a more detailed explanation.
                          http://www.duke.edu/~scg3/lucet.html

                          Kathryn

                          --- In scanewcomers@y..., dontwait4themessiah <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > This is probably going to make me sound like a hopeless newbie, but
                          > whats a Lucet?
                          >
                          > Morag
                        • Aine ingen MaelPatraic
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 30, 2002
                            > Try hear for picture and a more detailed
                            > explanation.
                            > http://www.duke.edu/~scg3/lucet.html

                            While I don't lucet (yet?), I did managed to find a
                            site with some very good photos and instructions. Try
                            these:

                            http://kws.atlantia.sca.org/photos/lucet/lucet.html
                            http://kws.atlantia.sca.org/photos/doublelucet/

                            Both sites have lots of photos, so they may take a bit
                            to load over a modem (took me about two minutes) to
                            get them all. They appear to be worth it, though.. I
                            think I could learn based on them. *smile*

                            /a

                            Aine ingen MaelPatraic

                            http://health.yahoo.com
                          • seticat
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 2, 2002
                              I learned how to make what I now know is lucet cord back in Girl Scouts.
                              Remember the old wooden thread spool and the four or 5 small nails on the
                              top? That's a four or five round lucet cord.

                              Once I figured that out, learning to do it on the lucet itself was much
                              easier.

                              Rowan
                              Barony of Blatha an Oir
                              Kingdom of An Tir