Pattern Links

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2002
      While we are on the subject of links...

      Anyone know of one where I can get patterns for Rapier fighter
      clothes (hoods, vest, etc.)? My youngest has decided to do youth
      rapier and I need to start getting/making him "stuff". Foils and
      mask I don't mind buying, but if I can make the clothes, I'd rather
      do that.

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@y..., whitelion_ess <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > well, it has been a while, but I was wondering if anyone has any
      > links
    • katfletcher
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2002
        William,

        You might try posting this one over on the SCA-Garb list as well. I
        personally don't fence and have no idea. We have an event tomorrow
        and our fencers will be there. I will try and ask one of them.
        Kathryn

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > While we are on the subject of links...
        >
        > Anyone know of one where I can get patterns for Rapier fighter
        > clothes (hoods, vest, etc.)? My youngest has decided to do youth
        > rapier and I need to start getting/making him "stuff". Foils and
        > mask I don't mind buying, but if I can make the clothes, I'd rather
        > do that.
        >
        > William
        >
        > --- In scanewcomers@y..., whitelion_ess <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > well, it has been a while, but I was wondering if anyone has any
        > > links
      • Aine ingen MaelPatraic
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2002
          > Anyone know of one where I can get patterns for
          > Rapier fighter
          > clothes (hoods, vest, etc.)?

          Greetings!

          I, also, sew for a fencer and can offer some
          suggestions.

          First, I've never sewn a hood. These are sold by the
          same places that sell masks usually, and I don't think
          they're that expensive, so it may be easiest to
          purchase one. They get sort of beat up (sweated
          through, washed, sweated through - that sort of
          thing), so you'll want to make sure if you do make it
          that you make *every* seam as solid as you can so it
          doesn't start to come apart. I'll ask around this
          weekend to see if anyone has a hood pattern that is
          online that I can point you to.

          For armor, the rules will vary depending on your
          kingdom, but in the Midrealm for adult fencers, armor
          covering the underarms (I think to the elbow, but may
          not need to be that long), chest to the groin and back
          to below the kidneys must pass a "punch test", and the
          legs and forearms must be covered with abrasion
          resistant material (just about any pair of pants will
          work as long as they cover all the skin). A punch
          test is where they (literally) take a broken foil and
          try to thrust it/poke it through the armor (obviously
          while no one's wearing it!); they try *hard*.. they'd
          rather the armor fail during the punch test then when
          some mistakenly too-hard blow hits it on a person and
          causes injury. So, for us, other than the rule that
          it must pass a punch test and the areas that must be
          covered, there are no set rules about patterns or
          fabric.

          When I make armor for my lord, I usually take a
          standard garb shirt pattern and add extra layers to
          the underarm area. Usually, just a short "sleeve"
          that gets sewn into the inside of the shirt. The
          extra sleeve is made from at least two layers of
          trigger or some other suitable tight woven fabric.
          You're going to to want to use something that will
          breathe, but it has to be tight woven or it won't pass
          the punch test. You also need to be careful and fudge
          a bit to make sure you don't make the arms too
          constricting when you add the extra sleeves, so you
          may want to make the shirt a little bigger than you
          normally would.

          For the doublet, I take a regular doublet pattern and
          add a few inches so you'll have room to add extra
          fabric without restricting movement. Then I cut out
          one layer for the outside of the doublet (the pretty
          fabric *smile*), and "line" it with two layers of
          trigger or something else tight woven. If you're
          using a really tightly woven or thick outer layer, you
          may only need one layer of lining - this will make the
          doublet lighter and it will breathe better, but be
          sure it will pass the punch test before you do that.

          If you want to simulate a punch test to see if
          something is likely to pass a punch test *before* you
          go through all the bother of sewing it, you can take a
          standard screwdriver and put a sample of the layers of
          fabric on *soft* ground and try to drive the
          screwdriver through the fabric as hard as you can (it
          should be a hard thrust - a quick drive - not just
          putting the screwdriver on the fabric and pushing
          down). The fabric should not allow the blade of the
          screwdriver to break through - even just a little bit!
          This is all that's going to be between your child and
          someone's blade so this isn't something to skimp
          on!The screwdriver test is *not* a guarantee that the
          fabric will pass a punch test, but if it makes it
          through the screwdriver test, you can pr'bly be
          reasonably confident that it will pass a punch test.
          Also, once a garment is made, it's usually a good idea
          to sew together a small patch of extra fabric composed
          the same way the garment is made. That way they can
          punch test the fabric without risk of damaging the
          garment. Many people even go so far as to sew the
          swatch into one of the seams so that the test swatch
          will get washed and go through the same wear as the
          garment because armor has to be retested periodically
          for safety.

          Another option, and one that I'm very glad my lord
          went with this year, is to buy a fencing jacket. I
          know Triplett sells them in two weights, one heavier
          and one made of a more expensive material that is much
          lighter. You can get both with long or elbow length
          sleeves, and they're worn underneath garb to fence in.
          The jackets run from about $150 to $250 from what I
          remember, but I may be off some. The jacket by itself
          will pass a punch test, which means you can then just
          make regular garb to wear over the jacket to fence in.
          It's much easier on your sewing machine to not have
          to continually try to sew through all that fabric, and
          in the end, it's less expensive because you don't have
          to buy three times the fabric for every doublet you
          want to make for fencing. However, depending on the
          age of your child, and depending on how much they're
          likely to grow over the next several years, this may
          not be the best option yet.. *smile*

          Sorry to ramble! I'm off to catch a bus to make it to
          Madison for the 30th Anniversary event this weekend.
          If anyone is there and would to talk more about how to
          make armor, feel free to come find me. I'll be near
          the fencing field in a bright sky blue leine (think
          t-tunic with long sleeves and going to the ankles).

          /a

          Aine ingen MaelPatraic

          http://games.yahoo.com/