irish garb

  • whitelion_ess
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25 11:40 AM
      well, it has been a while, but I was wondering if anyone has any
      links to preferably pictures of 14th century Irish Female Garb. I
      dont always use patterns. Sometimes I can look at a design and just
      go, so I would like it if anyone has any ideas. Thanks
      Liobahn
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25 7:38 PM
        While we are on the subject of links...

        Anyone know of one where I can get patterns for Rapier fighter
        clothes (hoods, vest, etc.)? My youngest has decided to do youth
        rapier and I need to start getting/making him "stuff". Foils and
        mask I don't mind buying, but if I can make the clothes, I'd rather
        do that.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., whitelion_ess <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > well, it has been a while, but I was wondering if anyone has any
        > links
      • katfletcher
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26 5:15 AM
          William,

          You might try posting this one over on the SCA-Garb list as well. I
          personally don't fence and have no idea. We have an event tomorrow
          and our fencers will be there. I will try and ask one of them.
          Kathryn

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > While we are on the subject of links...
          >
          > Anyone know of one where I can get patterns for Rapier fighter
          > clothes (hoods, vest, etc.)? My youngest has decided to do youth
          > rapier and I need to start getting/making him "stuff". Foils and
          > mask I don't mind buying, but if I can make the clothes, I'd rather
          > do that.
          >
          > William
          >
          > --- In scanewcomers@y..., whitelion_ess <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > well, it has been a while, but I was wondering if anyone has any
          > > links
        • Aine ingen MaelPatraic
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26 6:31 AM
            > Anyone know of one where I can get patterns for
            > Rapier fighter
            > clothes (hoods, vest, etc.)?

            Greetings!

            I, also, sew for a fencer and can offer some
            suggestions.

            First, I've never sewn a hood. These are sold by the
            same places that sell masks usually, and I don't think
            they're that expensive, so it may be easiest to
            purchase one. They get sort of beat up (sweated
            through, washed, sweated through - that sort of
            thing), so you'll want to make sure if you do make it
            that you make *every* seam as solid as you can so it
            doesn't start to come apart. I'll ask around this
            weekend to see if anyone has a hood pattern that is
            online that I can point you to.

            For armor, the rules will vary depending on your
            kingdom, but in the Midrealm for adult fencers, armor
            covering the underarms (I think to the elbow, but may
            not need to be that long), chest to the groin and back
            to below the kidneys must pass a "punch test", and the
            legs and forearms must be covered with abrasion
            resistant material (just about any pair of pants will
            work as long as they cover all the skin). A punch
            test is where they (literally) take a broken foil and
            try to thrust it/poke it through the armor (obviously
            while no one's wearing it!); they try *hard*.. they'd
            rather the armor fail during the punch test then when
            some mistakenly too-hard blow hits it on a person and
            causes injury. So, for us, other than the rule that
            it must pass a punch test and the areas that must be
            covered, there are no set rules about patterns or
            fabric.

            When I make armor for my lord, I usually take a
            standard garb shirt pattern and add extra layers to
            the underarm area. Usually, just a short "sleeve"
            that gets sewn into the inside of the shirt. The
            extra sleeve is made from at least two layers of
            trigger or some other suitable tight woven fabric.
            You're going to to want to use something that will
            breathe, but it has to be tight woven or it won't pass
            the punch test. You also need to be careful and fudge
            a bit to make sure you don't make the arms too
            constricting when you add the extra sleeves, so you
            may want to make the shirt a little bigger than you
            normally would.

            For the doublet, I take a regular doublet pattern and
            add a few inches so you'll have room to add extra
            fabric without restricting movement. Then I cut out
            one layer for the outside of the doublet (the pretty
            fabric *smile*), and "line" it with two layers of
            trigger or something else tight woven. If you're
            using a really tightly woven or thick outer layer, you
            may only need one layer of lining - this will make the
            doublet lighter and it will breathe better, but be
            sure it will pass the punch test before you do that.

            If you want to simulate a punch test to see if
            something is likely to pass a punch test *before* you
            go through all the bother of sewing it, you can take a
            standard screwdriver and put a sample of the layers of
            fabric on *soft* ground and try to drive the
            screwdriver through the fabric as hard as you can (it
            should be a hard thrust - a quick drive - not just
            putting the screwdriver on the fabric and pushing
            down). The fabric should not allow the blade of the
            screwdriver to break through - even just a little bit!
            This is all that's going to be between your child and
            someone's blade so this isn't something to skimp
            on!The screwdriver test is *not* a guarantee that the
            fabric will pass a punch test, but if it makes it
            through the screwdriver test, you can pr'bly be
            reasonably confident that it will pass a punch test.
            Also, once a garment is made, it's usually a good idea
            to sew together a small patch of extra fabric composed
            the same way the garment is made. That way they can
            punch test the fabric without risk of damaging the
            garment. Many people even go so far as to sew the
            swatch into one of the seams so that the test swatch
            will get washed and go through the same wear as the
            garment because armor has to be retested periodically
            for safety.

            Another option, and one that I'm very glad my lord
            went with this year, is to buy a fencing jacket. I
            know Triplett sells them in two weights, one heavier
            and one made of a more expensive material that is much
            lighter. You can get both with long or elbow length
            sleeves, and they're worn underneath garb to fence in.
            The jackets run from about $150 to $250 from what I
            remember, but I may be off some. The jacket by itself
            will pass a punch test, which means you can then just
            make regular garb to wear over the jacket to fence in.
            It's much easier on your sewing machine to not have
            to continually try to sew through all that fabric, and
            in the end, it's less expensive because you don't have
            to buy three times the fabric for every doublet you
            want to make for fencing. However, depending on the
            age of your child, and depending on how much they're
            likely to grow over the next several years, this may
            not be the best option yet.. *smile*

            Sorry to ramble! I'm off to catch a bus to make it to
            Madison for the 30th Anniversary event this weekend.
            If anyone is there and would to talk more about how to
            make armor, feel free to come find me. I'll be near
            the fencing field in a bright sky blue leine (think
            t-tunic with long sleeves and going to the ankles).

            /a

            Aine ingen MaelPatraic

            http://games.yahoo.com/