Re: Armour Making

  • katfletcher
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
      I am betting this will vary quite a bit based on what exactly you
      mean by a complete set. Consider building up a suit piece by piece
      instead of shooting for a full set right off the bat. Also, keep in
      mind it need not be a work of art to start fighting in. Check with
      fighters in your area to see what they started with. There might even
      be loaner stuff you can borrow until you get everything together.
      There might also be a local amorers guild that will help with your
      production. And you might be able to go in with others on a bulk
      purchase of supplies that would lower your costs.
      It really comes down to what you are looking for and for what
      purpose. It will be expensive if you are looking to make a 'show' set
      compared to functional SCA stuff.
      Hopefully, one of our Madisonian fighters will see your letter and
      get back to you, I can only speak from being married to one and
      hanging out with fighters. My only personal experience was in the
      days when carpet armor was a good way to start!
      Kathryn