Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions

  • autumnriver
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2002
      --- In scanewcomers@y..., "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
      wrote:
      And I was looking at the site and was reading about
      > the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

      Wow, something I can actually answer. Tiffany, what kingdom are you
      located in? For example, the Middle Kingdom has a page for their
      College of Scribes, located here : http://www.midrealm.org/signet/ .
      Calontir also has a Scribes' Guild with a mailing group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirScribes/ . I'm sure other
      kingdoms also have webpage information. Look on the Kingdom's main
      page, and if the info is not there, check under the Heraldry page.

      Here is an excellent site (and not just because I know these folks!)
      http://www.midrealm.org/darkriver/Scriptorium/index.html . It has
      some good practical information on materials, etc. Check their link
      page, also, for more information.

      Be sure to ask around your local group to see if anyone does
      calligraphy/illumination. Most areas have at least one person who
      knows the art, and who might be able to act as a mentor or teacher.
      That's how I first learned the art and also made a good friend in the
      process. If that's not practical for you, there are also books you
      can get (or borrow from a library) that are very helpful. Chat up
      people at events as well--most scribes LOVE to talk about their work!

      I would learn calligraphy first, then move to illumination. It's not
      difficult, but it does take practice and patience. If you already
      know the art, then please contact your local herald! Scrolls are in
      high demand, not just at kingdom level, but also for local groups.

      Tacye
      sitting on the border of Calontir, the MidRealm and Northshield.