Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions

  • Angela Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2002
      Greetings Tiffany,

      The scribes are out of my expertise as I have only been doing this myself
      for just over a year but you might try a herald or maybe someone else on
      this can help.

      Angelline
      Middle Kingdom

      >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@...>
      >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
      >Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 21:04:35 -0000
      >
      > Greetings, Angela
      > Thanks for the info. So I just join, and then show up at one of
      >the meetings? And I was looking at the site and was reading about
      >the scribes. How do you get involved in that?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Tiffany
      >

      >--- In scanewcomers@y..., "Angela Baker" <angelinelapetita@h...>
      >wrote:
      > > Greetings Tiffany,
      > >
      > > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
      >send it.
      > > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
      >(heavy or
      > > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
      >have
      > > additional family members that would like to join they get a
      >reduced
      > > membership.
      > >
      > > Any further questions, just ask.
      > >
      > > Angela Baker
      > > (Angelline la Petita)
      > > Middle Kingdom
      > >

      > > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
      > > >To: scanewcomers@y...
      > > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
      > > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
      > > >
      > > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
      > > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
      > > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
      > > >Thanks, Tiffany

      >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

    • autumnriver
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2002
        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
        wrote:
        And I was looking at the site and was reading about
        > the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

        Wow, something I can actually answer. Tiffany, what kingdom are you
        located in? For example, the Middle Kingdom has a page for their
        College of Scribes, located here : http://www.midrealm.org/signet/ .
        Calontir also has a Scribes' Guild with a mailing group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirScribes/ . I'm sure other
        kingdoms also have webpage information. Look on the Kingdom's main
        page, and if the info is not there, check under the Heraldry page.

        Here is an excellent site (and not just because I know these folks!)
        http://www.midrealm.org/darkriver/Scriptorium/index.html . It has
        some good practical information on materials, etc. Check their link
        page, also, for more information.

        Be sure to ask around your local group to see if anyone does
        calligraphy/illumination. Most areas have at least one person who
        knows the art, and who might be able to act as a mentor or teacher.
        That's how I first learned the art and also made a good friend in the
        process. If that's not practical for you, there are also books you
        can get (or borrow from a library) that are very helpful. Chat up
        people at events as well--most scribes LOVE to talk about their work!

        I would learn calligraphy first, then move to illumination. It's not
        difficult, but it does take practice and patience. If you already
        know the art, then please contact your local herald! Scrolls are in
        high demand, not just at kingdom level, but also for local groups.

        Tacye
        sitting on the border of Calontir, the MidRealm and Northshield.