Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions

  • Jeff Preston
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7 4:02 PM
      You know...you don't have to be a member to enjoy a
      lot of the SCA functions.
      Meetings, practices and other gatherings generally
      don't require membership. Actually neither do most
      events you go to.

      Membership sometimes makes it a bit cheaper to attend
      events. But it's not neccisary.

      It IS neccisary to be a member to hold offices and
      hold certain positions. Also to fight in some places
      (moving towards ALL places) you have to be a member to
      get authorized to fight; and you have to be authorized
      to fight at events. So...

      Membership is useful if you play at events (which
      generally what the SCA is mostly about) but if you
      wanna get a feel, membership can wait.

      In Omnia Veritas
      Njall Tjorkilsson

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7 4:08 PM
        oh yeah...scribal arts?
        Where are you located?

        Njall

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Angela Baker
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8 5:04 PM
          Greetings Tiffany,

          The scribes are out of my expertise as I have only been doing this myself
          for just over a year but you might try a herald or maybe someone else on
          this can help.

          Angelline
          Middle Kingdom

          >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@...>
          >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
          >Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 21:04:35 -0000
          >
          > Greetings, Angela
          > Thanks for the info. So I just join, and then show up at one of
          >the meetings? And I was looking at the site and was reading about
          >the scribes. How do you get involved in that?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Tiffany
          >

          >--- In scanewcomers@y..., "Angela Baker" <angelinelapetita@h...>
          >wrote:
          > > Greetings Tiffany,
          > >
          > > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
          >send it.
          > > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
          >(heavy or
          > > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
          >have
          > > additional family members that would like to join they get a
          >reduced
          > > membership.
          > >
          > > Any further questions, just ask.
          > >
          > > Angela Baker
          > > (Angelline la Petita)
          > > Middle Kingdom
          > >

          > > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
          > > >To: scanewcomers@y...
          > > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
          > > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
          > > >
          > > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
          > > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
          > > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
          > > >Thanks, Tiffany

          >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

        • autumnriver
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9 8:43 AM
            --- In scanewcomers@y..., "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
            wrote:
            And I was looking at the site and was reading about
            > the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

            Wow, something I can actually answer. Tiffany, what kingdom are you
            located in? For example, the Middle Kingdom has a page for their
            College of Scribes, located here : http://www.midrealm.org/signet/ .
            Calontir also has a Scribes' Guild with a mailing group
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirScribes/ . I'm sure other
            kingdoms also have webpage information. Look on the Kingdom's main
            page, and if the info is not there, check under the Heraldry page.

            Here is an excellent site (and not just because I know these folks!)
            http://www.midrealm.org/darkriver/Scriptorium/index.html . It has
            some good practical information on materials, etc. Check their link
            page, also, for more information.

            Be sure to ask around your local group to see if anyone does
            calligraphy/illumination. Most areas have at least one person who
            knows the art, and who might be able to act as a mentor or teacher.
            That's how I first learned the art and also made a good friend in the
            process. If that's not practical for you, there are also books you
            can get (or borrow from a library) that are very helpful. Chat up
            people at events as well--most scribes LOVE to talk about their work!

            I would learn calligraphy first, then move to illumination. It's not
            difficult, but it does take practice and patience. If you already
            know the art, then please contact your local herald! Scrolls are in
            high demand, not just at kingdom level, but also for local groups.

            Tacye
            sitting on the border of Calontir, the MidRealm and Northshield.