Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions

  • lucky_monkey_87
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
      Greetings, Angela
      Thanks for the info. So I just join, and then show up at one of
      the meetings? And I was looking at the site and was reading about
      the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

      Thanks,
      Tiffany

      --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Angela Baker" <angelinelapetita@h...>
      wrote:
      > Greetings Tiffany,
      >
      > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
      send it.
      > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
      (heavy or
      > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
      have
      > additional family members that would like to join they get a
      reduced
      > membership.
      >
      > Any further questions, just ask.
      >
      > Angela Baker
      > (Angelline la Petita)
      > Middle Kingdom
      >

      > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
      > >To: scanewcomers@y...
      > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
      > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
      > >
      > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
      > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
      > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
      > >Thanks, Tiffany

      http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
    • Jeff Preston
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
        You know...you don't have to be a member to enjoy a
        lot of the SCA functions.
        Meetings, practices and other gatherings generally
        don't require membership. Actually neither do most
        events you go to.

        Membership sometimes makes it a bit cheaper to attend
        events. But it's not neccisary.

        It IS neccisary to be a member to hold offices and
        hold certain positions. Also to fight in some places
        (moving towards ALL places) you have to be a member to
        get authorized to fight; and you have to be authorized
        to fight at events. So...

        Membership is useful if you play at events (which
        generally what the SCA is mostly about) but if you
        wanna get a feel, membership can wait.

        In Omnia Veritas
        Njall Tjorkilsson

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
          oh yeah...scribal arts?
          Where are you located?

          Njall

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Angela Baker
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2002
            Greetings Tiffany,

            The scribes are out of my expertise as I have only been doing this myself
            for just over a year but you might try a herald or maybe someone else on
            this can help.

            Angelline
            Middle Kingdom

            >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@...>
            >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
            >Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 21:04:35 -0000
            >
            > Greetings, Angela
            > Thanks for the info. So I just join, and then show up at one of
            >the meetings? And I was looking at the site and was reading about
            >the scribes. How do you get involved in that?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Tiffany
            >

            >--- In scanewcomers@y..., "Angela Baker" <angelinelapetita@h...>
            >wrote:
            > > Greetings Tiffany,
            > >
            > > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
            >send it.
            > > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
            >(heavy or
            > > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
            >have
            > > additional family members that would like to join they get a
            >reduced
            > > membership.
            > >
            > > Any further questions, just ask.
            > >
            > > Angela Baker
            > > (Angelline la Petita)
            > > Middle Kingdom
            > >

            > > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
            > > >To: scanewcomers@y...
            > > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
            > > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
            > > >
            > > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
            > > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
            > > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
            > > >Thanks, Tiffany

            >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

          • autumnriver
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2002
              --- In scanewcomers@y..., "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
              wrote:
              And I was looking at the site and was reading about
              > the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

              Wow, something I can actually answer. Tiffany, what kingdom are you
              located in? For example, the Middle Kingdom has a page for their
              College of Scribes, located here : http://www.midrealm.org/signet/ .
              Calontir also has a Scribes' Guild with a mailing group
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirScribes/ . I'm sure other
              kingdoms also have webpage information. Look on the Kingdom's main
              page, and if the info is not there, check under the Heraldry page.

              Here is an excellent site (and not just because I know these folks!)
              http://www.midrealm.org/darkriver/Scriptorium/index.html . It has
              some good practical information on materials, etc. Check their link
              page, also, for more information.

              Be sure to ask around your local group to see if anyone does
              calligraphy/illumination. Most areas have at least one person who
              knows the art, and who might be able to act as a mentor or teacher.
              That's how I first learned the art and also made a good friend in the
              process. If that's not practical for you, there are also books you
              can get (or borrow from a library) that are very helpful. Chat up
              people at events as well--most scribes LOVE to talk about their work!

              I would learn calligraphy first, then move to illumination. It's not
              difficult, but it does take practice and patience. If you already
              know the art, then please contact your local herald! Scrolls are in
              high demand, not just at kingdom level, but also for local groups.

              Tacye
              sitting on the border of Calontir, the MidRealm and Northshield.