Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions

  • lucky_monkey_87
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
      --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Angela Baker" <angelinelapetita@h...>
      wrote:
      > Greetings Tiffany,
      >
      > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
      send it.
      > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
      (heavy or
      > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
      have
      > additional family members that would like to join they get a
      reduced
      > membership.
      >
      > Any further questions, just ask.
      >
      > Angela Baker
      > (Angelline la Petita)
      > Middle Kingdom
      >

      > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
      > >To: scanewcomers@y...
      > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
      > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
      > >
      > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
      > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
      > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
      > >Thanks, Tiffany

      http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
    • lucky_monkey_87
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
        Greetings, Angela
        Thanks for the info. So I just join, and then show up at one of
        the meetings? And I was looking at the site and was reading about
        the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

        Thanks,
        Tiffany

        wrote:
        > Greetings Tiffany,
        >
        > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
        send it.
        > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
        (heavy or
        > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
        have
        > additional family members that would like to join they get a
        reduced
        > membership.
        >
        > Any further questions, just ask.
        >
        > Angela Baker
        > (Angelline la Petita)
        > Middle Kingdom
        >

        > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
        > >To: scanewcomers@y...
        > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
        > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
        > >
        > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
        > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
        > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
        > >Thanks, Tiffany

        http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
      • Jeff Preston
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
          You know...you don't have to be a member to enjoy a
          lot of the SCA functions.
          Meetings, practices and other gatherings generally
          don't require membership. Actually neither do most
          events you go to.

          Membership sometimes makes it a bit cheaper to attend
          events. But it's not neccisary.

          It IS neccisary to be a member to hold offices and
          hold certain positions. Also to fight in some places
          (moving towards ALL places) you have to be a member to
          get authorized to fight; and you have to be authorized
          to fight at events. So...

          Membership is useful if you play at events (which
          generally what the SCA is mostly about) but if you
          wanna get a feel, membership can wait.

          In Omnia Veritas
          Njall Tjorkilsson

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
            oh yeah...scribal arts?
            Where are you located?

            Njall

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Angela Baker
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2002
              Greetings Tiffany,

              The scribes are out of my expertise as I have only been doing this myself
              for just over a year but you might try a herald or maybe someone else on
              this can help.

              Angelline
              Middle Kingdom

              >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@...>
              >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
              >Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 21:04:35 -0000
              >
              > Greetings, Angela
              > Thanks for the info. So I just join, and then show up at one of
              >the meetings? And I was looking at the site and was reading about
              >the scribes. How do you get involved in that?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Tiffany
              >

              >--- In scanewcomers@y..., "Angela Baker" <angelinelapetita@h...>
              >wrote:
              > > Greetings Tiffany,
              > >
              > > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
              >send it.
              > > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
              >(heavy or
              > > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
              >have
              > > additional family members that would like to join they get a
              >reduced
              > > membership.
              > >
              > > Any further questions, just ask.
              > >
              > > Angela Baker
              > > (Angelline la Petita)
              > > Middle Kingdom
              > >

              > > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
              > > >To: scanewcomers@y...
              > > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
              > > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
              > > >
              > > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
              > > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
              > > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
              > > >Thanks, Tiffany

              >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

            • autumnriver
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2002
                --- In scanewcomers@y..., "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
                wrote:
                And I was looking at the site and was reading about
                > the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

                Wow, something I can actually answer. Tiffany, what kingdom are you
                located in? For example, the Middle Kingdom has a page for their
                College of Scribes, located here : http://www.midrealm.org/signet/ .
                Calontir also has a Scribes' Guild with a mailing group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirScribes/ . I'm sure other
                kingdoms also have webpage information. Look on the Kingdom's main
                page, and if the info is not there, check under the Heraldry page.

                Here is an excellent site (and not just because I know these folks!)
                http://www.midrealm.org/darkriver/Scriptorium/index.html . It has
                some good practical information on materials, etc. Check their link
                page, also, for more information.

                Be sure to ask around your local group to see if anyone does
                calligraphy/illumination. Most areas have at least one person who
                knows the art, and who might be able to act as a mentor or teacher.
                That's how I first learned the art and also made a good friend in the
                process. If that's not practical for you, there are also books you
                can get (or borrow from a library) that are very helpful. Chat up
                people at events as well--most scribes LOVE to talk about their work!

                I would learn calligraphy first, then move to illumination. It's not
                difficult, but it does take practice and patience. If you already
                know the art, then please contact your local herald! Scrolls are in
                high demand, not just at kingdom level, but also for local groups.

                Tacye
                sitting on the border of Calontir, the MidRealm and Northshield.