RE: [SCA Newcomers] persona help?

  • Jeff Preston
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
      Heilsa,

      Check back on the messages link and there should be
      several posts on persona development stuff.

      in addition, check the following:
      http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Persona1.htm

      For norse stuff:
      http://www.vikinganswerlady.org/VALText.htm

      http://www.the-viking-expericence.co.uk/authenticity/authenticity/index.htm

      http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html

      Anglo-saxons and some norman and norse stuff:
      http://www.angelcynn.org.uk/intro.html
      http://www.regia.org/

      Hope this is helpful.

      Njall

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • dontwait4themessiah
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
        *agrees with this one* The academy is certainly a good choice, but my
        lord Martinus is right, a Herald with tooo much time on his/her hands
        is a dangerous thing *lol*

        Morag the Barde

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Martinus Draco Byzantios" <martinus@b...>
        wrote:
        > I would refer you to your local herald. They should be a valuable
        > resource for all things concerning names, devices and personas.
        Should
        > they need help, they will have the resources of their entire
        kingdom's
        > college of heralds at their disposal.
        >
        > If you want to get the best opinions of the known world about your
        name,
        > submit it to the Academy of Saint Gabriel. This is a collection of
        > heralds and non-heralds that have lots of areas of expertise. They
        > normally are or have been on the commenting commitees of either
        their
        > prospective kingdoms or for the SCA College of Arms. The Academy is
        not
        > officially recognized by the SCA but their opinions are highly
        > respected.
        >
        > You may find their webpage (with submission criteria) at
        > http://www.s-gabriel.org/index.html.
        >
        > But, I would encourage you first to seek your local herald. Give
        them
        > something to do. :)
        >
        > Die dulci fruere,
        >
        > Martinus

        ´`´`
        > *:»§«
        >
        > Martinus Draco Byzantios, GoA, Torse, AoA
        >
        > mka Kevin Hughes martinus@b...
        >
        > Pursuivant-at-large, Kingdom of Calontir
        > Pater Familias - Domus Draco Byzantios

        ´`´`
        > *:»§«
        >
        > Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas
        habebunt

      • katfletcher
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
          >I need to find out if the name Shamus Tokala would be to far
          > off the mark for 15th c. norse/celt...
          > Shamus

          Hi!
          I did a check at St. Gabriel's. Shamus is a modern spelling for
          Seamus which is a variant of James. It was a Gaelic name used in
          Ireland in the time you are aiming for. There was no reference for
          Tokala. What prompted that choice? It might give a lead to follow up.
          You can check here for what I found on on the Shamus.
          http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1534+0

          Let me know more about the last name and I will see what can be dug
          up. Your local herald is always a good start but also a lot can be
          found at your very own public library. Personally, I love a good web
          search too! What I found for Tokala was pretty interesting. The
          slight majority of the references were to the Lakota tribe here in
          the U.S. They made for some neat reading.
          Kathryn