persona help?

  • tokala420
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
      Greetings all,

      I am writing to enlist a 'lil help with my name and persona.
      Have tried alot of the SCA links from the main SCA page and searched
      massive numbers of web pages but, I seem to have found myself at an
      impass. I need to find out if the name Shamus Tokala would be to far
      off the mark for 15th c. norse/celt and where could I find links to
      period clothing for this persona. It seems that all the areas I can
      find either are for around late 13th- early 14th or right into early
      to mid 16th. For some reason there seems to be a closed window on
      the 15th. Or (more likely) I have gone right past something right in
      front of my nose. Either way could someone help me by pointing the
      way to a couple sites that might end my confusion?
      I would be deeply in you debt.
      TIA,
      Shamus
    • Martinus Draco Byzantios
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
        I would refer you to your local herald. They should be a valuable
        resource for all things concerning names, devices and personas. Should
        they need help, they will have the resources of their entire kingdom's
        college of heralds at their disposal.

        If you want to get the best opinions of the known world about your name,
        submit it to the Academy of Saint Gabriel. This is a collection of
        heralds and non-heralds that have lots of areas of expertise. They
        normally are or have been on the commenting commitees of either their
        prospective kingdoms or for the SCA College of Arms. The Academy is not
        officially recognized by the SCA but their opinions are highly
        respected.

        You may find their webpage (with submission criteria) at
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/index.html.

        But, I would encourage you first to seek your local herald. Give them
        something to do. :)

        Die dulci fruere,

        Martinus

        *:»§«

        Martinus Draco Byzantios, GoA, Torse, AoA

        mka Kevin Hughes martinus@...

        Pursuivant-at-large, Kingdom of Calontir
        Pater Familias - Domus Draco Byzantios

        *:»§«

        Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

        I am writing to enlist a 'lil help with my name and persona.
        Have tried alot of the SCA links from the main SCA page and searched
        massive numbers of web pages but, I seem to have found myself at an
        impass. I need to find out if the name Shamus Tokala would be to far
        off the mark for 15th c. norse/celt and where could I find links to
        period clothing for this persona. It seems that all the areas I can
        find either are for around late 13th- early 14th or right into early
        to mid 16th. For some reason there seems to be a closed window on
        the 15th. Or (more likely) I have gone right past something right in
        front of my nose. Either way could someone help me by pointing the
        way to a couple sites that might end my confusion?
        I would be deeply in you debt.
        TIA,
        Shamus

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • tokala420
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
          Appreciate the help and will try that..
          Peace
          Shamus
        • Jeff Preston
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
            Heilsa,

            Check back on the messages link and there should be
            several posts on persona development stuff.

            in addition, check the following:
            http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Persona1.htm

            For norse stuff:
            http://www.vikinganswerlady.org/VALText.htm

            http://www.the-viking-expericence.co.uk/authenticity/authenticity/index.htm

            http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html

            Anglo-saxons and some norman and norse stuff:
            http://www.angelcynn.org.uk/intro.html
            http://www.regia.org/

            Hope this is helpful.

            Njall

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • dontwait4themessiah
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
              *agrees with this one* The academy is certainly a good choice, but my
              lord Martinus is right, a Herald with tooo much time on his/her hands
              is a dangerous thing *lol*

              Morag the Barde

              --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Martinus Draco Byzantios" <martinus@b...>

            • katfletcher
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2002
                >I need to find out if the name Shamus Tokala would be to far
                > off the mark for 15th c. norse/celt...
                > Shamus

                Hi!
                I did a check at St. Gabriel's. Shamus is a modern spelling for
                Seamus which is a variant of James. It was a Gaelic name used in
                Ireland in the time you are aiming for. There was no reference for
                Tokala. What prompted that choice? It might give a lead to follow up.
                You can check here for what I found on on the Shamus.
                http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1534+0

                Let me know more about the last name and I will see what can be dug
                up. Your local herald is always a good start but also a lot can be
                found at your very own public library. Personally, I love a good web
                search too! What I found for Tokala was pretty interesting. The
                slight majority of the references were to the Lakota tribe here in
                the U.S. They made for some neat reading.
                Kathryn