12th Century Hair Cases

  • yourstruly
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2002
      12th Century Hair Cases

      (I am posting this message on several groups. I apologize to
      the people who get it more than once.)

      Hi,

      I am in the process of making 12th-century style hair cases
      (England, c.1140s-80s) to go with a dress I'm making. While I
      know the basic dimensions I need (about 25 inches long and
      3.5 inches around), I have encountered some problems. If
      anyone has made these types of hair cases before and can help
      me, I would greatly appreciate it.

      1. I find that my hair won't fit smoothly into the hair case: stray
      hairs don't go in, and the hair bunches at the top of the case. Is
      there a way to slip the hair in properly, like special braiding?
      Does the case widen or open (with a fastening) at the top? Am I
      just making it too narrow?

      2. How do I get the hair case to stay on my hair, and not fall off?
      Is there a way to fasten it to my hair? Should I tie it at the top? I
      have seen pictures of the braid cases crisscrossed with ribbon,
      does this fasten it securely enough?

      3. Is there a way to secure the seams with a piece that's this
      thin? Is there a special kind of seam I should use?

      If anyone can answer any of these questions, please email me
      at j.golick@...

      Thanks!
      Katherine Ashwoode,
      mka: Julie