Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions

  • Angela Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6 4:28 AM
      Greetings Tiffany,

      If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to send it.
      Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys(heavy or
      rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you have
      additional family members that would like to join they get a reduced
      membership.

      Any further questions, just ask.

      Angela Baker
      (Angelline la Petita)
      Middle Kingdom

      >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@...>
      >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
      >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
      >
      >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
      >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
      >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
      >Thanks, Tiffany

    • lucky_monkey_87
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7 2:02 PM
        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Angela Baker" <angelinelapetita@h...>
        wrote:
        > Greetings Tiffany,
        >
        > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
        send it.
        > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
        (heavy or
        > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
        have
        > additional family members that would like to join they get a
        reduced
        > membership.
        >
        > Any further questions, just ask.
        >
        > Angela Baker
        > (Angelline la Petita)
        > Middle Kingdom
        >

        > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
        > >To: scanewcomers@y...
        > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
        > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
        > >
        > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
        > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
        > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
        > >Thanks, Tiffany

        http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
      • lucky_monkey_87
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7 2:04 PM
          Greetings, Angela
          Thanks for the info. So I just join, and then show up at one of
          the meetings? And I was looking at the site and was reading about
          the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

          Thanks,
          Tiffany

          wrote:
          > Greetings Tiffany,
          >
          > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
          send it.
          > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
          (heavy or
          > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
          have
          > additional family members that would like to join they get a
          reduced
          > membership.
          >
          > Any further questions, just ask.
          >
          > Angela Baker
          > (Angelline la Petita)
          > Middle Kingdom
          >

          > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
          > >To: scanewcomers@y...
          > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
          > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
          > >
          > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
          > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
          > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
          > >Thanks, Tiffany

          http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
        • Jeff Preston
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7 4:02 PM
            You know...you don't have to be a member to enjoy a
            lot of the SCA functions.
            Meetings, practices and other gatherings generally
            don't require membership. Actually neither do most
            events you go to.

            Membership sometimes makes it a bit cheaper to attend
            events. But it's not neccisary.

            It IS neccisary to be a member to hold offices and
            hold certain positions. Also to fight in some places
            (moving towards ALL places) you have to be a member to
            get authorized to fight; and you have to be authorized
            to fight at events. So...

            Membership is useful if you play at events (which
            generally what the SCA is mostly about) but if you
            wanna get a feel, membership can wait.

            In Omnia Veritas
            Njall Tjorkilsson

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7 4:08 PM
              oh yeah...scribal arts?
              Where are you located?

              Njall

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Angela Baker
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8 5:04 PM
                Greetings Tiffany,

                The scribes are out of my expertise as I have only been doing this myself
                for just over a year but you might try a herald or maybe someone else on
                this can help.

                Angelline
                Middle Kingdom

                >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@...>
                >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
                >Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 21:04:35 -0000
                >
                > Greetings, Angela
                > Thanks for the info. So I just join, and then show up at one of
                >the meetings? And I was looking at the site and was reading about
                >the scribes. How do you get involved in that?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Tiffany
                >

                >--- In scanewcomers@y..., "Angela Baker" <angelinelapetita@h...>
                >wrote:
                > > Greetings Tiffany,
                > >
                > > If you go to SCA.org that will have the application and where to
                >send it.
                > > Being a member entitles you to hold offices, enter combat tourneys
                >(heavy or
                > > rapier), cheaper Pennsic rate, free kingdom newsletter, and if you
                >have
                > > additional family members that would like to join they get a
                >reduced
                > > membership.
                > >
                > > Any further questions, just ask.
                > >
                > > Angela Baker
                > > (Angelline la Petita)
                > > Middle Kingdom
                > >

                > > >From: "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
                > > >To: scanewcomers@y...
                > > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer and Questions
                > > >Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 04:42:43 -0000
                > > >
                > > >I am hoping to join SCA, since I love the medieval time period. I
                > > >had a few questions as to membership. The cost all year is 35$ but
                > > >where do you send it, and what all does it give you (benfits)?
                > > >Thanks, Tiffany

                >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

              • autumnriver
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9 8:43 AM
                  --- In scanewcomers@y..., "lucky_monkey_87" <lucky_monkey_87@y...>
                  wrote:
                  And I was looking at the site and was reading about
                  > the scribes. How do you get involved in that?

                  Wow, something I can actually answer. Tiffany, what kingdom are you
                  located in? For example, the Middle Kingdom has a page for their
                  College of Scribes, located here : http://www.midrealm.org/signet/ .
                  Calontir also has a Scribes' Guild with a mailing group
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CalontirScribes/ . I'm sure other
                  kingdoms also have webpage information. Look on the Kingdom's main
                  page, and if the info is not there, check under the Heraldry page.

                  Here is an excellent site (and not just because I know these folks!)
                  http://www.midrealm.org/darkriver/Scriptorium/index.html . It has
                  some good practical information on materials, etc. Check their link
                  page, also, for more information.

                  Be sure to ask around your local group to see if anyone does
                  calligraphy/illumination. Most areas have at least one person who
                  knows the art, and who might be able to act as a mentor or teacher.
                  That's how I first learned the art and also made a good friend in the
                  process. If that's not practical for you, there are also books you
                  can get (or borrow from a library) that are very helpful. Chat up
                  people at events as well--most scribes LOVE to talk about their work!

                  I would learn calligraphy first, then move to illumination. It's not
                  difficult, but it does take practice and patience. If you already
                  know the art, then please contact your local herald! Scrolls are in
                  high demand, not just at kingdom level, but also for local groups.

                  Tacye
                  sitting on the border of Calontir, the MidRealm and Northshield.