Re: [SCA Newcomers] Digest Number 18

  • Jennifer and Dan Wansing
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2002
      1.) Where can I get cloth of a rougher texture? All the store boughts
      are microtwist herringbone crap that is very mundane.

      Go to you local conglomo-chain, be it jo-ann, hancock, or wally world
      and go to the "utility fabric" section or the muslins. Osnaburg, galway
      cotton, canvas, duck, monks cloth, and cotton twill all have wonderful
      texture and with a hot water pre wash with a detergent that does not
      have a color protect treatment or colorsafe bleach will dye up like a
      dream.
      Linen-look solids are also very nice... linen/cotton blend
      If you live in a place that has a nice non-chain fabric store like the
      one I work in... you have even better options. Ask the clerks and
      managers what you are looking for. Often they can dig it up from another
      store or order it in. After all, the smaller stores are there to serve
      the community that is fed up with the conglomo chains, they want your
      business... they want you to tell your friends... they know that if they
      only carry "microtwist herringbone crap" they will not be serving their
      customer base well,

      3.) What colors are 4 to 10th century? I know pruple and blue were
      pretty hard to get then.

      Check out the Ravensgard costume link page
      www.ravensgard.org/gerekr/costume.html

      a terrific resource... it has several links to pages that deal with dye,
      you might find the right stuff for your culture/time period.

      Mabel de Wymburn