Re: [SCA Newcomers] More questions for a newcomer

  • Jeff Preston
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2002
      --- cutter07 <cutter07@...> wrote:
      > Here they are:
      >
      > 1.) Where can I get cloth of a rougher texture? All
      > the store boughts
      > are microtwist herringbone crap that is very
      > mundane.
      Actually most fabric stores i've been to have had some
      nice stuff in the apholstry sections. Granted they are
      mostly man-made/ synthetic fabrics, they have a nice
      texture and are still useable. Just a thought.

      > 2.) Is challenging the ruling seat in heavy weapons
      > combat bad?

      I'm not sure what you mean. I mean, if the "ruling
      seat" is in armor and playing on the field with folks,
      then asking if he/she wants to play is cool.
      Otherwise...dunno. Schtick is okay, but sometimes the
      local "ruling seat" isn't there to fight/ is there
      just to be a presence. I guess it just depends on the
      situation.

      > 3.) What colors are 4 to 10th century? I know pruple
      > and blue were
      > pretty hard to get then.

      You would be suprised what colors were available in
      period. Unlike the movies they didn't all dress in
      drab colorless garb. Actually it was common in amny
      cultures at the time to wear vibrant colors as a sign
      of wealth (along with additional embellishments and
      adornments). I'll leave it at that and let a real
      costumer expound on the intricacies of what is and
      isn't period.

      > 4.) What makes good padding *IN PERIOD* besides
      > cloth

      Historically? Straw. Horsehair. Sheepskin (hair on)
      etc.

      > 5.) Is it ok to wear live steel (sheathed swords) to
      > meetings if they
      > are peacetied and taken off for combat? This is for
      > fashion

      It's okay to wear live steel to events. I don't think
      most "meetings" like baronial and shire meetings are
      generally full-garb ordeals (maybe they do it
      different in other places). Most of the business
      meetings (baronial meetings) and shire meetings were/
      are mundane gatherings to discuss upcoming events and
      relay officers reports, and are in general not a place
      for live steel. SCA Events on the other hand are fine
      as far as that goes.

      > Thats it for now thanks :)

      Hope this helps.
      Anyone else have any ideas?