Saxon garb/decoration questions

  • cutter07
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2002
      Besides Runes what art forms did Saxons have in comparision to celts
      knotwork? How did thier garb differ? Mot sites only offere sutle
      differents. I'm talking 5th cent brit-saxon to 10th pre-asswhooped
      saxon (before Viking influences). Whats colors did these saxons
      favor? Did they use heraldry in some basic form? Clans or such?
    • verymelm
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
        Greetings! I apologize for the delay in responding to this query. I
        asked a friend who is knowledgeable about Saxons and her response is
        below.

        /a

        Gale Owen-Crocker, _Dress in Anglo-Saxon England_. It's basically
        what's out there, and I think, going to be reprinted Real Soon Now.
        Otherwise it's out of print, and darned hard to find unless a local
        college/university library has it.

        This page http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_colours.html has a
        pic of some colors from natural dyes, although they show no greens,
        and their information about linen may not be entirely accurate (there
        is at least one record of someone ordering dyed linen for clothing).
        But at least it's a start.

        Also, silk takes colors very differently from wool--you can get some
        really vibrant colors on silk from the same dyes. Heck, you can get
        hot pink on silk using a period dye with a period dyeing method.