Re: [SCA Newcomers] Njall's Saga

  • SISTER FIRE
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2002
      ALL I HAVE IS A NAME AND A COUNTRY. SOFIA RENATA IN ITALY. I LIKE THE CLOTHS IN THE 1400'S.

      BE BOLD IN JESUS....SISTER FIRE

      P.S. DO YOU NEED PRAYER? PLEASE VISIT POWER PRAYER HOUSE TO MAKE THOSE REQUESTS. http://www.ourchurch.com/member/p/PWRPRYRHOUSE/

    • njal_tjorkilsson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2002
        "> ALL I HAVE IS A NAME AND A COUNTRY. SOFIA RENATA IN ITALY. I LIKE
        THE CLOTHS IN THE 1400'S."

        Sokay. it's a start.
        The "saga" is an idea Katheryn came up with. It's just an example for
        others to get ideas from. It's not definative or anything.

        I would encourage our members to take a little time and come up with
        something resembling a "life story" for your persona. It helps get
        the feel of the period: the clothes, customs, armor, personages, and
        events of the era. For most of us this is a big part of what the SCA
        is. Learning about the middle ages through research and first hand
        knowledge through doing things the medieval way.

        A persona is one of the most fun pieces of research you can do. It
        makes your SCA experience much more enriching and alive. Take your
        time and have fun with it. Expect several different incarnations of
        it as you go along as well. Your tastes may change as you learn more.
        Eventually you will find a niche.

        As a challenge, I "Challenge" our members to sit down and work out a
        page worth of story/ saga of your persona (From birth to present or
        death) AND post it here. It can be a great motivator for the newer
        members and serve as examples of what can be done. It also gives more
        ideas to those who haven't really fleshed it out yet.

        If anyone needs resources, let me know. I can help surf them out for
        ya (If I haven't already done it).

        Prepare to fully enjoy!
        In Omnia Veritas
        Njall Tjorkilsson
        ("Sir Njall" is still too weird)
      • SISTER FIRE
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2002
          Sokay. it's a start.
          The "saga" is an idea Katheryn came up with. It's just an example for
          others to get ideas from. It's not definative or anything.

          I would encourage our members to take a little time and come up with
          something resembling a "life story" for your persona. It helps get
          the feel of the period: the clothes, customs, armor, personages, and
          events of the era. For most of us this is a big part of what the SCA
          is. Learning about the middle ages through research and first hand
          knowledge through doing things the medireview way.

[...]

          I LOVE THIS IDEA. I WILL TAKE THIS CHALLENGE AS I REALLY DO WANT TO DEVELOPE MY PERSONA. ANY WEBSITES WOULD BE GLADLY APPRECIATED.

          BE BOLD IN JESUS....SISTER FIRE

          P.S. DO YOU NEED PRAYER? PLEASE VISIT POWER PRAYER HOUSE TO MAKE THOSE REQUESTS. http://www.ourchurch.com/member/p/PWRPRYRHOUSE/

        • Jeff Preston
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 25, 2002
            As a start I reccomend the following:

            Cariadoc's Miscellany
            http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html
            A+++++ awesome resource!

            Medieval Italy
            http://www.georgetown.edu/labyrinth/subjects/italy/italy.html

            More medieval Italy stuff:
            http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook1q.html

            Costuming stuff:
            http://members.aol.com/nebula5/tcpinfo2.html

            Other than the above, browse the "bookmarks" section
            of the SCA Newcomers group page. Tons of good links
            there.

            It's a start. Surf around and see what you find.
            You'll be suprised at what is out there.

            Enjoy!
            Njall

            Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards�
            http://movies.yahoo.com/
          • dontwait4themessiah
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 26, 2002
              I agree with Njall whole-heartedly. I started writing what i
              call 'Morag's Story' at the end of last year, and already its helping
              me see Morag as a real entity rather than a persona *
              i'm still not sure that this is entirely good for my mental health ;)*

              Morag
              --- In scanewcomers@y..., SISTER FIRE <baptism_by_fire_2000@y...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 27, 2002
                SOFIA RENATA de FIRENZE BORN IN FIRENZE (FLORENCE), ITALY. MY PARENTS DIED EARLY IN LIFE AND I BEGAN A TRADE SELLING SILKS AND TAPESTRIES. I LOVE THE ART AND WAS BAPTIZED AT SANTA CROCE. MY MODEST HOME IS NEAR THE RIVER ARNO. MY PRESENT DATE.....1490. HER HUSBAND IS ANOTHER STORY ALTOGETHER.

                NOW THAT IS MY STORY SO FAR. I DECIDED ON FLORENCE SINCE THAT IS WHERE ALL THE FAVORITE SCULPTORS AND PAINTERS LIVED IN THIS CITY. PLUS THE NAME FIRENZE IS VERY CLOSE TO FIRE. I LOVE THE ITALIAN DRESSES. WHAT SKILLS I HAVE? WELL I MAKE SOAP AND SOLID PERFUMES. I KNOW I DIDN'T WORK THAT IN, BUT I COULD ALWAYS DO LIKE BITS OF RIBBON AND CLOTH. SOMETHING I COULD AFFORD.

                BE BOLD IN JESUS....SISTER FIRE

                P.S. DO YOU NEED PRAYER? PLEASE VISIT POWER PRAYER HOUSE TO MAKE THOSE REQUESTS. http://www.ourchurch.com/member/p/PWRPRYRHOUSE/

              • Bonny June Eby
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2002
                  My persona's story is in the midst of a change right now to add in my
                  husband and newly adopted daughter, so here is what I have come up with so
                  far (I didn't want to just chuck 19 years of the same name, etc, so I
                  modified my persona to fit in with theirs slightly) I will be fleshing it
                  out more as I do more research.

                  My persona is from Normandy around the time of the invasion. France and
                  Spain have a lot of Jews in them, I meet my husband (lord) in France or
                  Spain and he is Jewish (in that time period, in real life, we were both
                  gentiles who converted to Messianic beliefs) We meet, fall in love and marry
                  and our beliefs mingle rather than one of us converting to the others
                  religion, hence, we both become Messianic (in real life and in our persona's
                  lives) The invasion happens, my husband goes with the invading force and
                  brings back a Saxon baby who is orphaned in Europe for us to adopt, hence
                  our daughter (who is adopted in real life).

                  --
                  In Service to the Dream
                  Alethia De La Mer Argentee