many questions for a newcomer in Ansteorra

  • cutter07
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2002
      Hail all,

      I am an unbelted fighter from the lands of Ansteorra, in the mundane
      county of Dallas. I am interested in joining, thus far I have only
      fought knights outside of events and heard much. Time has past though
      and my friends have since moved elsewhere, and before I seekout a
      group I have some questions that need ponderin. Here they are for
      your review.

      1. On the scale from 12th to 16th century where does the average
      group fit in?

      2. If I want to wrap my rattan in rawhide or leather instead of tar
      paper (duct tape) to be more period will most marshalls ok this?

      3. How does local law enforcement view heavy weapons fighting? IF I
      break a guys leg on accident am I going to go to jail?

      4. Are unbelted fighters required to be squires to become knights?

      5. Is "court" mandatory?

      6. I'm a big craftsmen, I like to work in leather wood steel horn
      bone, etc. If I get asked to make something for someone in my group
      am I required or in anyway obligated to do so for free?

      7. Is muslin fabric period?

      8. Is "edgeing" your sheidl required?

      9. Til a fighter is a knight may he not pledge himself to the kingdom
      and crown?

      Signed,
      Kandalen
    • njal_tjorkilsson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21, 2002
        Answers within...

        > 1. On the scale from 12th to 16th century where does the average
        > group fit in?
        *****It varies a lot. Some kingdoms tend to have certain trends:
        AnTir is predominately Norse, though there are all periods
        represented. Other Kingdoms are similar in thier own ways. Take your
        pick.

        > 2. If I want to wrap my rattan in rawhide or leather instead of tar
        > paper (duct tape) to be more period will most marshalls ok this?
        ******I prefer to wrap the rattan in rawhide since it is asthetically
        pleasing, holds up better than "tar paper" etc. Some places do frown
        on it's use due to the added weight and stiffness. Best bet is to
        check with the local Marshall.

        > 3. How does local law enforcement view heavy weapons fighting? IF I
        > break a guys leg on accident am I going to go to jail?
        *****Nope, generally we don't lose tempers on the field (quite
        frowned upon actually). What we portray is a violent act. But it is
        more akin to a martial art in our control and safety measures. There
        shouldn't be any legal ramifications since we all sign waivers of
        liability and are "supposedly" adults playing a consentually
        dangerous game.

        > 4. Are unbelted fighters required to be squires to become knights?
        *****Not at all. There are many Knights who were never squires. Many
        kings as well. Being a squire is like being a favorite nephew. It is
        a contractual bond. A give and take. Knights should be teaching
        anyone to fight. Squires generally learn more about becoming a peer.
        It also makes recognition easier.

        *****I avoid it like the plague.

        > 6. I'm a big craftsmen, I like to work in leather wood steel horn
        > bone, etc. If I get asked to make something for someone in my group
        > am I required or in anyway obligated to do so for free?
        *****Oh hell no! If you offer to help that is very cool and you will
        be admired and appreciated. Nobody can require you to do anything for
        free. This is a all volunteer organization, so volunteering is very
        common, but you can't be conscripted into labor.

        > 7. Is muslin fabric period?
        *****Well, it's useable on garb. No problem. As for the
        periodness...I dunno.

        > 8. Is "edgeing" your sheidl required?
        ****Yes. To protect the rattan weapons that we use (that are hard to
        replace sometimes.)
        Again, I use rope and rawhide.

        > 9. Til a fighter is a knight may he not pledge himself to the
        kingdom
        > and crown?
        *****Not true at all. You can if you choose swear fealty directly to
        the crown or indrectly through other sworn peers (very period way of
        fealty.)

        > Signed,
        > Kandalen

        I hope this is helpful.
        I love when people aren't afraid to ask these questions. It really
        helps all those who never ask.

        In Omnia Veritas
        Njall Tjorkilsson
      • lelyadefoxfire
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2002
          Greetings from a fellow Ansteorran!! I hail from the Barony of
          Namron in the Northern Region. I mainly just wanted to say "HI!" as
          well as offer a couple of my views on life in our beautiful kingdom...

          > 1. On the scale from 12th to 16th century where does the average
          > group fit in?

          I don't speak for everyone, but from what I have observed, many
          Ansteorrans tend to stay in the 13 to 14th century bracket. I myself
          am a 4th century Irish Celt. We have a lot of Scots and Norse around
          in my area.

          > 2. If I want to wrap my rattan in rawhide or leather instead of tar
          > paper (duct tape) to be more period will most marshalls ok this?

          Aww, but duct tape is so *~Pretty!~* heehee

          > 5. Is "court" mandatory?

          Court is never mandatory, but if you happen to be at a war and Their
          Majesties Ansteorra ask everyone present to be in their entourage, DO
          IT! And once you get to where court is being held, slip off into the
          shadows...

          > 7. Is muslin fabric period?

          As hot as it is down here, most people would overlook its
          unperiodness due to its comfort-factor.

          *The views expressed in the above are strictly mine and no one has to
          agree with me, I just wanted to say "HI!"*

          Cerridwen Mag Fhionnain de Sionnach
          Barony of Namron, Kingdom of Ansteorra

          "I've never understood why weird people gravitate to me." ~ Hal
          Farrell
        • megrimulf
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 23, 2002
            Hiya, Fox! My, but that new name of yours is a mouthful...can I just
            keep calling you Fox? lol

            To address Kandalen's original question(s):

            > > 1. On the scale from 12th to 16th century where does the average
            > > group fit in?

            It kind of runs the gamut of many times and many places, but like
            Njall (er...SIR Njall) said, there are places where one period or
            culture seems to be more highly concentrated. And like Fox
            (er...Cerridwen) said, there seem to be a lot of Scots and Norse in
            our part of Ansteorra (Northern region, MKA Oklahoma). I'm curious
            why you only mention as early as 12th century? Personal preference?
            Personally, I'm a 10th Century Norseman.

            > > 5. Is "court" mandatory?

            No. But although a good many courts are really boring, sometimes they
            can be a blast. The trick is knowing which courts to attend, and
            which to avoid. I seem to have an uncanny knack for that, but I
            couldn't tell you how. Of course, it's considered bad form to not be
            present in court when you're being given an award, but since you
            usually don't know ahead of time...

            And Fox wrote:
            > Court is never mandatory, but if you happen to be at a war and
            Their
            > Majesties Ansteorra ask everyone present to be in their entourage,
            DO
            > IT! And once you get to where court is being held, slip off into
            the
            > shadows...

            That sounds suspiciously like what happened at Lilies War last year,
            lol!

            > > 7. Is muslin fabric period?

            Let's just say that I've seen it used to good effect. It looks a lot
            better than poly blends, and definitely breathes better in the summer
            heat.

            Hope some of that is helpful,

            Grimulf
          • katfletcher
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 23, 2002
              Wow! What terrific questions!
              Here is my take on them.
              > 1. On the scale from 12th to 16th century where does the average
              > group fit in?

              Do what you want to. It is true that various areas tend to have
              higher concentrations of one particular time and place but I have
              only ever of Calontir having much of a "theme" on the kingdom level.

              > 2. If I want to wrap my rattan in rawhide or leather instead of tar
              > paper (duct tape) to be more period will most marshalls ok this?

              I prefer duct tape too. At least for swords. Mass weapons might look
              better in leather if it simulates wood more but I think metal when I
              think of swords and that makes me envision silver more than brown. I
              hear the leather holds up better though and I am not a fighter, only
              married to one. Also, as old school, it is hard for me to shake the
              association of duct tape with many things in the SCA!

              > 3. How does local law enforcement view heavy weapons fighting? IF I
              > break a guys leg on accident am I going to go to jail?

              This is the very reason EVERYONE needs to be sure to sign their
              waivers at every chance they get. Also, while being a paid member is
              not required, one of the things that pays for is the insurance
              against the Society being sued (which, regretfully, has happened a
              few times.) We all play "at our own risk" which includes the guy
              whose leg you might accidentally break.

              > 4. Are unbelted fighters required to be squires to become knights?

              Nope, but who you know can make a difference here as it does in the
              real world.

              > 5. Is "court" mandatory?

              Not last I heard! But as was said, some can be quite fun. Try it, you
              might like it!!

              > 6. I'm a big craftsmen, I like to work in leather wood steel horn
              > bone, etc. If I get asked to make something for someone in my group
              > am I required or in anyway obligated to do so for free?

              Nope!! But consider trading services, it was period. Need garb? Find
              someone who sews and bargain for your needs.

              > 7. Is muslin fabric period?
              Fraid not for most of us, but I use it extensively and many people
              do. It is lightweight, cheap and looks and feels like lighterweight
              linen which is period. It makes great under garments such as chemises
              and shirts. A lot of the materials we use are not "period" for our
              personas but are used anyway. If you want to make a presentation
              piece for an A&S display, you will want to pay attention to such
              things but for everyday wear, so long as it isn't plastic and
              florescent pink you are fine!

              > 8. Is "edgeing" your sheidl required?

              As the others said, yes.
              > 9. Til a fighter is a knight may he not pledge himself to the
              kingdom and crown?

              Sure, just as any member of the populace may, at least here in the
              Midrealm. Some other places may work on the theory that squires owe
              their fealty through their knights.

              Kathryn
            • lelyadefoxfire
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2002
                > Hiya, Fox! My, but that new name of yours is a mouthful...can I
                > just keep calling you Fox? lol

                Absolutely, Grim! In fact, that's what Sionnach means. :)

                > That sounds suspiciously like what happened at Lilies War last
                > year, lol!

                Hmm... Wonder why... heehee Hopefully we'll have an even BIGGER turn-
                out this year and Her Majesty can parade us around even longer! Boy,
                those pillows are hard to step over--even in a Middle Eastern.

                TAYL,
                Fox~*

                Cerridwen Mag Fhinnonain de Sionnach
                ...of Tribe of the Screaming Spoons
                Barony of Namron, Kingdom of Ansteorra
              • Holly
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 26, 2002
                  Greetings from warm & sunny Trimaris..

                  > > 3. How does local law enforcement view heavy weapons fighting? IF I
                  > > break a guys leg on accident am I going to go to jail?
                  >
                  > This is the very reason EVERYONE needs to be sure to sign their
                  > waivers at every chance they get. Also, while being a paid member is
                  > not required, one of the things that pays for is the insurance
                  > against the Society being sued (which, regretfully, has happened a
                  > few times.) We all play "at our own risk" which includes the guy
                  > whose leg you might accidentally break.

                  One thing that no one else has mentioned yet, so I will: Both heavy & light
                  weapons blows are supposed to be calibrated. We do NOT hit as hard as
                  possible. Never, ever. If any fighter tells you otherwise, he is an
                  ignorant fool and should be avoided as though s/he has the plague.

                  > > 6. I'm a big craftsmen, I like to work in leather wood steel horn
                  > > bone, etc. If I get asked to make something for someone in my group
                  > > am I required or in anyway obligated to do so for free?
                  >
                  > Nope!! But consider trading services, it was period. Need garb? Find
                  > someone who sews and bargain for your needs.

                  I cannot even imagine someone being asked to make something for someone and
                  not be paid or otherwise given something in return for it, with the possible
                  exception of the scribal college, who labors long behind the scenes to
                  create scrolls... :-\ Anyway, barter is a Very Good Thing. I know
                  several folks who set up as merchants at most events and they are often to
                  be found trading with one another when business is slow. :)

                  Hope it helps.. don't be afraid to ask questions!

                  Holly Sullivan Grimmett * Shire of the Storm, Trimaris * Safiya al-Khayyata
                  Duc, Sequere, aut de via decede. http://profiles.yahoo.com/hollygrimmett