Children in the SCA

  • Denise R
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2002
      My son and I just got into the SCA in August. My working name (currently,
      until I research Henline for English background during period) is Mary Faa.
      I decided the name my son would use would be the same as his real name to
      prevent confusion, until he's old enough to have one he chose. His real
      name is Ian. His persona is Eoan (Scottish spelling--think that's
      right)--close enough to have the same spelling.

      He adores this. He's 4, 5 in June, and can't wait until he's old enough to
      enter the lists. He wants to get involved in archery (our Mistress has a
      nine-pound pull), and Youth Boffer. I've got it from Ser Nick (MidRealm)
      that he is allowed to learn how to handle a boffer-sword, just not
      officially fight, so we'll be making the sword out of the copper-pipe
      insulation and duct tape (just those two soft materials) during a meeting of
      April or May. :) That means that he and another boy in the group named
      Stephen who is the almost the same age (he's older, but not by much) can
      spar together under the watchful eyes of Mothers and our MIT-Youth who I'd
      trust with my life (he's also Chiro). :)

      Ian finds this all interesting after I started watching DVDs of Excalibur
      and Robin Hood. He also has loved swords for ages now. :) (Disney movies
      have swords in them!)

      I love my child....me, I haven't a clue where I'll be heading in the SCA,
      but I'm enjoying the journey, and the learning!

      :)

      Mary Faa
      Dee