Re: Heraldic Name/Shield emblem

  • mavros_akropolites
    Message 1 of 2565 , Jun 20, 2000
      Greetings,<br><br>Its actually fairly simple.
      Especially if you have access to the internet(since you're
      here I assume you have such access). The best jumping
      off point I have found is the Laurel Education Page,
      found off of the SCA's Laurel Sovereign of Arm's Home
      Page. The web address is
      know about choosing an SCA name as well as information
      on Heraldry. Lots of good articles. If you scroll to
      the bottom of the page there is an extensive list of
      period names from various cultures. As far as I know,
      these naming articles are accurate. The only thing that
      may be of concern is names sometimes accuire a modern
      spelling rather than the original spelling. Some of the
      naming articles note this if it is the case while others
      do not. So, be careful and perhaps try to find
      choose a name you like and then to find it in another
      source.<br><br>For finding a device, a great source is a book by
      Fox-Davies entitled I believe "A Complete Guide to
      Heraldry." This should be available at your local library.
      If you are from Jararvellir, I know it is at your
      local library because I have checked it out before.
      This book has tons and tons of pictures. It also gives
      you a brief description of each charge, such as
      origination, who used it, when it was used, etc. If you
      desire, you can get very period with your device by
      finding something from your chosen culture and time
      period. And you shouldn't have to go beyond this one book
      to do it.<br><br>Well, I think I have rambled on
      long enough. Hope you find this
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003