History Of St. Valentines Day

  • njal_tjorkilsson
    Message 1 of 2565 , Feb 8, 2002
      Original article
      Valentines, all of them martyrs, are mentioned in the early
      martyrologies under date of 14 February. One is described as a
      priest at Rome, another as bishop of Interamna (modern
      Terni), and these two seem both to have suffered in the
      second half of the third century and to have been buried
      on the Flaminian Way, but at different distances
      from the city. In William of Malmesbury's time what
      was known to the ancients as the Flaminian Gate of
      Rome and is now the Porta del Popolo, was called the
      Gate of St. Valentine. The name seems to have been
      taken from a small church dedicated to the saint which
      was in the immediate neighborhood. Of both these St.
      Valentines some sort of Acta are preserved but they are of
      relatively late date and of no historical value. Of the
      third Saint Valentine, who suffered in Africa with a
      number of companions, nothing further is known.
      associated with Saint Valentine's Day undoubtedly had their
      origin in a conventional belief generally received in
      England and France during the Middle Ages, that on 14
      February, i.e. half way through the second month of the
      year, the birds began to pair. Thus in Chaucer's
      Parliament of Foules we read: <br><br>For this was sent on
      Seynt Valentyne's day <br>Whan every foul cometh ther
      to choose his mate. <br><br>For this reason the day
      was looked upon as specially consecrated to lovers
      and as a proper occasion for writing love letters and
      sending lovers' tokens. Both the French and English
      literatures of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries contain
      allusions to the practice. Perhaps the earliest to be found
      is in the 34th and 35th Ballades of the bilingual
      poet, John Gower, written in French; but Lydgate and
      Clauvowe supply other examples. Those who chose each other
      under these circumstances seem to have been called by
      each other their Valentines.<br><br>Excerpted by Njal.
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003