Board of Directors comments request pt 2

  • katfletcher
    Message 1 of 2565 , Feb 5, 2002
      Despite the budget shortfalls over three of the
      past five years, this is not an emergency situation.
      At present there is enough money to cover our
      subscription liability and the Society's immediate expenses.
      But, looking into the future, clearly that situation
      will not continue forever. The Board is strongly of
      the opinion that an adjustment is needed to cover
      increases in operating expenses that will inevitably occur
      in the coming years. It is our feeling that a single
      increase designed to last several years is preferable to
      smaller, more frequent increases, though we are open to
      argument on that point. As Directors, we have a fiduciary
      responsibility to ensure that the corporation has resources
      adequate to continue its operations. To that end, the
      Board of several years ago instituted the Non-Member
      Surcharge (NMS), which allowed the accumulation of an
      operating reserve. Once that reserve was established, the
      Board repealed the NMS. That operating reserve, which
      was fueled by the NMS, has been funding budget
      shortfalls at the Corporate level for some years now. It
      would not be financially prudent to spend all of the
      operating reserve with no plan to replace those funds. We
      ask that members consider the following suggestions
      on how to increase revenues so that expenses can be
      met into the future. We realize that these
      suggestions are by no means the only options available.
      Please send us your comments on these options and your
      alternative suggestions. The Board is seeking a consensus
      from the membership on how to proceed. At present no
      decisions have been made except that something must be
      done. We request and highly encourage your suggestions
      and assistance. Note that<br>International
      memberships are not specifically addressed here. Those rates
      may need to increase proportionately to any other
      rate increases that occur.
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003