Newcomer to Ansteorra/Stargate

  • saragalley
    Message 1 of 2565 , Nov 6, 2001
      My husband and I are trying, after several years
      of dithering about the fringes of the activities of
      our SCA friends, to get involved in the SCA locally.
      We live, in mundane terms, in near-north Houston,
      and I work in The Woodlands, while he's a theatre
      major at U of H, so while Gate's Edge is probably the
      canton closest to us, we can easily foresee being
      involved in Westgate activities also, as well as
      activities involving the Barony of the Stargate as a
      whole.<br><br>What I'm wondering is, what's the best way to go about
      becoming involved? Our friends already in the Society,
      unfortunately, are further afield (in Mooneschadowe in northern
      Ansteorra, and in the Shire of Caer Galen in the Kingdom of
      the Outlands), so we can't simply tag along. We're
      pretty much planning to go to the newcomer's meeting on
      Thursday, the 8th, which seemed like the obvious first
      step, but then we'd like to know where to take it from
      there. I think initially I'm most interested in textile
      arts, particularly weaving, to begin with, and I
      _believe_ my husband is interested in fighting, although
      I'm not sure if he wants to do light weapons (meshes
      well with the stagecraft swordwork he's doing for
      school) or heavy weapons (more closely akin to the IFGS
      boffer-style fighting he did in college); I don't think he's
      made up his mind yet, and we'd probably like to at
      least sample a variety of activities, rather than
      committing heavily to something at the outset,
      anyway.<br><br>Is there anyone here who's involved with the Barony
      and either or both cantons? If so, I'd love to chat a
      little bit about what they're like, and begin getting a
      feel for where we might fit in. One thing I'm
      particularly interested in is meeting other parents; we have a
      4-year-old boy, who we'd like to interest in the Society if
      we're going to participate, and having him meet other
      children of roughly the same age sounds like a good way to
      get that started. Also, it'd be nice to know there's
      at least one person whose name we already know and
      who's prepared to talk to us when we show up.
      :)<br><br>Thoughts, insights, and greetings of all types well be
      Bob) Galley
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003