Re: Need Help! Argh!

  • njal_tjorkilsson
    Message 1 of 2565 , Oct 10, 2001
      The reason for using rattan is that it
      approximates the weight of a steel weapon without killing your
      buddy and without snapping and leaving a sharp pokey
      end.<br><br>Other types of substituted have been tried over the
      years, but rattan is still the only acceptable material
      for weapons.<br><br>Shovel handles, broom handles
      etc, all will break pretty easily.<br><br>As far as
      fighting pre-18: LEGALLY you can't play at any SCA event
      or practice at all till you are 18 and have a signed
      waiver on file. It's an insurance thing (I'm
      other non-sca places. A buddy of mine started when he
      was 15-16 (His dad is Duke Gunnar Brunwulf of AnTir).
      He became legal to fight at 18. Got knighted at 18,
      Crowned King of AnTir at 19. Has been king 3 more time
      since.<br>Same goes with the Bellatrix boys down in the West.
      They started early (dunno about Stephen, but Brian
      did).<br><br>The key is to get your armor together and find people
      to train you. Also you'll need to get with your
      folks and square it away. You are still a minor.
      Getting struck my a non-minor makes it a higher form of
      assault. You will come home with some whelps and bruises
      and the parental-units will begin to wonder about
      at practice tonight. Look for the big bald norse
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003