Re: Just Wondering

  • katfletcher
    Message 1 of 2565 , Sep 29, 2001
      Hmmm.<br>Well, I have been in 20 years and I will
      have to agree with you and with T. Many people are
      cliquish in the SCA. By both the book definition and by
      what I think you may mean.<br>A lot of it seems to
      vary based on WHERE you are. Small groups either don't
      have this problem or they only really have one and you
      are in or out of the whole group! (Bad thing but does
      happen.) Larger groups seem to frequently have several
      sub-sets. Sometimes this seems to be interest based, heavy
      weapons fighters hang with other heavy weapons fighters,
      rapier with other rapier, artisans with other artisans,
      etc. I think the part about royalty has an added
      dimension. It takes a fair about of work and a decent sized
      support group to first make it to that "level" and then
      to successfully survive the reign. And it is even
      more so for the repeaters. It takes a certain type of
      personality to get that far. It tends to be somewhat
      centralist and magnetic. And some people like to bask in the
      reflected glory. (Usually to succeed they end up having to
      work pretty hard, don't get me wrong. In fact, basker
      rather than baskee is my favorite place in life.)And
      then there is the political side of things. Any group
      of three or more seems to begin to divide in to
      sub-groups. And when there are questions to decide, most
      people have some kind of opinion and want to get others
      to see things their way. Toss money into the fray
      and boy, those opinions start to heat up! <br>That
      and there is the authentic aspect of what we create
      that there were households and feudal allegiances. To
      survive you had to cluster together. Nothing new in what
      we do!<br>Some aspects of what we do actually work
      to encourage this. Apprenticeships and squiring
      encourage alliances and partnering. And since the big three
      orders, the peerages, Knighhood, Laurels, and Pelicans,
      all are polling orders, requiring voting to get
      admitted, there will natually be an advantage to "knowing
      the right people".<br>Some of all of this just seems
      to be a natural reflection of every other aspect of
      our lives. Some of it we hope we can overcome. And if
      you happen to live in an area that is not willing to
      encourage outsiders, isn't open and welcoming, it may be
      very difficult. I can only encourage you to keep
      trying, that most groups eventually recognize the value
      of a quiet, hard-working, polite person, and suck
      you in to take advantage of those attributes! Then
      you are in a position to set the example for your
      group and encourage new people!!<br>In the short run,
      travel, travel, travel. Enjoy as many events as you can.
      Meet as many people as you can. You're bound to find
      some nice people out there somewhere.<br>I
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003