Re: where are all the friendly folks?

  • njal_tjorkilsson
    Message 1 of 2565 , Sep 1, 2001
      An explaination (of sorts) <not intentionally
      inflamitory><br><br>The way I see the SCA and it's
      participants:<br><br>SCAdians in general come from al walks of life. There is
      however a disproportionate shift towards "geeks" (for
      lack of a better word).<br><br>We tend to be either
      bookish or at the very least interested in history. We
      also tend to have a much more esoteric way of
      playing.<br><br>Lets face it. The grey mass of humanity in america
      spends their evenings and weekends watching TV. We try
      learning history, fighting with sticks, wearing funny
      clothes, and making stuff the hard way.<br><br>There are a
      high number of people in the SCA who are into escapist
      fiction: comics, RPG's, fantasy.<br>We also have a huge
      number of computer geek types.<br><br>Essentially we
      tend to be more imaginative and as a result excercise
      our brains considerably. Almost by definition we are
      geeks.<br><br>Geeks have generally always been to a certain degree
      social outcasts. This results in either quiet/ shy
      people or obnoxious people.<br><br>So far this has all
      been about generalities. The SCA is comprised of
      thousands of people. Say about half are straight geeks (I
      am one too). The other half are people who are at
      least a little different from the typical american
      family: Mom, Dad, 1.5 kids (how does THAT work?), 1.5
      pets, watching TV (turning their brains to mush) on a
      Saturday night.<br><br>We as a society do not discriminate
      against anyone for any reason. All are welcome to come
      and play with us. Geeks, weirdos, gamers, gay or
      straight, Wiccan or Roman Catholic, all are welcome. This
      is DEFINATELY not standard.<br><br>I guess in a way
      we are creating our own little utopia. (Ok it's a
      come and see the SCA for the first time it can be
      overwhelming. It is strange. <br>People can also be a little
      standoffish. Please, be patient with them. Once you introduce
      yourself as a newcomer they will generally be
      overwhelmingly helpful.<br><br>These are simply my opinions, and
      as such are completely worthless.<br><br>In Service
      to the Black Lion of An Tir<br><br>In Omnia
      Veritas<br>Njal Tjorkilsson<br>(mka: Jeff= geek)
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003