feast gear (was feast gear venders)

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013
      Brian asked:
      <<< Hey all, I've been attending fighter practice for the last 6
      months and I'm finally getting around to going to my first event.
      Garb is ready, arms/armor, registered at the SCA.
      The one thing I can't seem to find is good online vendors for
      feast gear. Especially pertaining to plates and bowls. Could
      someone be so kind to recommend an online vendor for either
      wooden or pewter plates I could purchase from? >>>

      Since pottery tends to have a very short lifetime with me, I tend to use pewter ware.

      I recommend that you not buy pewter ware from a retail place. The going rate is about $26 for a dinner plate. However, if you keep an eye out at the thrift stores and flea markets in your area and some SCA venders selling the used stuff, you can get the plates for about $6. I've paid about $4 for the small salad plates and $4-6 for pewter mugs.

      This is all the Armatel imitation pewter which is lead-free.

      It can take several years to build up several sets of matching pewter ware this way, but it can be done. In the meantime, get some wooden or pottery or other stuff to use as you build up your set.

      Here is a general file on feast gear in the FEASTS section of the Florilegium:
      feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the SCA. cleaning wooden feast gear.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html

      In the FOOD-UTENSILS section is some useful info on cleaning different types of feast gear. Remember to bring along a plastic bag to put your dirty utensils in, to bring them home. Many sites do not have facilities that you can use to clean your personal utensils.

      bone-utn-care-msg (6K) 2/ 4/08 Caring for bone and bone-handled utensils.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/bone-utn-care-msg.html

      cppr-utn-care-msg (10K) 8/21/09 Care and cleaning of copper utensils.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/cppr-utn-care-msg.html

      Personally, I stopped using brass or copper eating utensils. Because the sequence often went like this:
      1) buy utensil.
      2) clean utensil and get it shiny.
      3) wait for event.
      4) polish utensil.
      5) take to event, and almost watch the brass discolor as you ate off of it.
      6) take home and clean and polish.

      wood-utn-care-msg (16K) 5/15/08 Care of utensils made of wood.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/wood-utn-care-msg.html

      Some more files on making good use of thrift stores:
      Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The Handbook" by Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift stores for inexpensive SCA clothing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html

      How-2-Fnd-Fab-art (16K) 12/18/11 "How to find Great Historic type Fabric for Garb cheaply, at Thrift Stores." by Lady
      Catherine Rose FitzEdmunds.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/How-2-Fnd-Fab-art.html

      Since you said this was your first event, here is another article which might be of help:
      Your-1st-Evnt-art (16K) 7/15/12 "Going to your 1st Event" by Lady Alison Wodehalle.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Your-1st-Evnt-art.html

      I hope this helps,
      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Brian Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2013
        Thank you everyone so much for the help, you've been so welcoming!

        Cheers,
        Brian

      • D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2013
          On 2 Oct 2013, at 8:45 AM, Brian Carlson <bcarlson78@...> wrote:

          > > I recommend that you not buy pewter ware from a retail place. The going rate is about $26 for a dinner plate. However, if you keep an eye out at the thrift stores and flea markets in your area and some SCA venders selling the used stuff, you can get the plates for about $6. I've paid about $4 for the small salad plates and $4-6 for pewter mugs.

          Real pewter contains lead; the modern stuff for $26 has manufacturers and sellers who are accountable and must tell the truth when you ask if their pewter wares contain lead (modern stuff, termed 'imitation' pewter, is lead-free and made with aluminum instead). Buying in secondhand shops, you have no way of knowing, unless the shop will let you bring in and use a lead testing kit on each item.
          D'vorah bint Da'ud
          Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
          Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
          dvorah@...
          Twitter: @DvorahSCA
          Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

          "Purpure, in chief three bees Or marked purpure and on a point pointed Or a bee purpure marked Or."