Re: [SCA Newcomers] Feast Gear Vendors?

  • Reyna Thorne
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2013
      I have some really nice metal plates and bowls that I picked up here and there at Goodwill and yard sales. The only pieces of my feast gear I didn't buy from Goodwill or yard sales are the utensils, which I got from a merchant at an event.

      -Reyna Thorne
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 30, 2013, at 10:09 PM, slith <slithcloudchaser@...> wrote:

      goodwill  or  salvation army

      On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Norana Cantrell <noranac@...> wrote:

      I always find wooden plates and bowls at my local home goods store.

      On Sep 30, 2013 6:56 PM, <bcarlson78@...> wrote:

      Hey all, I've been attending fighter practice for the last 6 months and I'm finally getting around to going to my first event.  Garb is ready, arms/armor, registered at the SCA.

      The one thing I can't seem to find is good online vendors for feast gear.  Especially pertaining to plates and bowls. Could someone be so kind to recommend an online vendor for either wooden or pewter plates I could purchase from?

      Thanks,
      Brian

    • Gavin Kinkade
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
        As has been said in one of the posts, goodwill, thrift store, even garage sales can be places to find feast gear.

        Honorable Lord Gavin Kyncade

        Marcaster Archery and Thrown weapons Ranger
        Squire to Sir Takamatsu
        Apprentice to Maitresse Aspasia Moonwind
        Cadet to Don Tomas Mac Coran

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013

          Hi!

          As everyone else is saying, your best bet is to run out to your local second stores or yard sales, flea markets etc. They will often have something acceptable. Wooden plates can be hard to keep properly clean, and pewter plates can leave a metal taste in your food, but if you can get them inexpensively enough, can still serve as starter gear. Try looking on Etsy, a quick search shows a few items. Another SCA merchant that I like is Historic Enterprises http://historicenterprises.com/ though they can be a bit pricey. There are variety of potters in the SCA that sell accurate replicas, I like Eadric's stuff, he does good research. http://www.ironwoodpotterystudio.com/.

          Here is a link to an article I wrote about attending your first feast.  http://chatelaine.eastkingdom.org/firstfeast.html

          Most importantly, have fun! :)

          Alison Wodehalle

          East Kingdom

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
            Have you checked out the 2nd hand stores? there's often wooden bowls and metal plates. Also, depending on where you live, visit a Cost Plus World Market.
            Our Shire has auctions at feasts that generally include candle sticks or holders and plates, utensils, table coverings, etc - lot's of fun for the newcomers. We also try to have extra settings of our own fo so that we can help newcomers feel a part of the festivities by lending them and inviting them to sit with us.

            YIS
            Lady Tzipah
            Bestwode Shire