Berber culture

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25 12:25 PM
      Zid said:
      <<< Damn! I've practically written a book! >>>

      <<< The Berbers wear similar clothes, but they don't have too much else in common with the Greeks, though for a woman choosing a Middle Eastern type of persona, I'd strongly recommend the Berbers - they were quite egalitarian and equal-minded for the day, when compared to other Middle Eastern cultures around them. But many of the Berber tribes are nomadic tent dwellers. Other Berber groups live in mud-brick villages that also bear some resemblance to the adobe works of the American desert southwest - not related, but interesting parallel evolution.

      I deliberately positioned my persona just prior to the Muslim invasion, just to be sure, but apparently the Berber Muslims had the custom of including older women of the tribe in tribal councils, as late as the 19th century - of course, it varies from tribe to tribe, depending on how rigidly they cleave to Islam.

      And the Berber garb is SO COOL in the summertime!!! >>>

      Ohhh. I, for one, had little knowledge of this culture or how they fit into the cultures around them or the historic timeline.

      In the CULTURES section of the Florilegium, I've tried to collect various bits of commentary on different cultures within our time period. This includes recommended references and tidbits of useful info such as you gave. I also have various articles that I have permission from their authors to add.

      My hope is that it gives folks a starting place for doing research on their personas.

      Anyway, if you'd be willing to write up what you've researched, I would be glad to add that info, either as a message file, or better as an article.

      My standard policy is that the copyright remains with the author and you can publish it elsewhere. I also accept updates or additions at any time. This means as you find out more, you can update your article. People can still be learning from an "imperfect" article, so don't wait until it is "perfect".

      I also have sections on FOOD-BY-REGION and CLOTHING. If an article is more specific to those, then it can always go there.

      Thanks for listening.
      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • sadiradarkstar
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27 11:37 PM

        Argh!  You mean I have to go back to WORK??

        I'll try to get to that, but it may be some months before I can even start, with the holidays coming up - I love the holidays & go all in on decorating and cooking and so on.

        Thanks for your encouragement!