re: Can't get ahold of Chatelaine

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
      <<< I'm totally new, have been hanging around this group a lot and am finally able to join. I've found my closest group but I emailed the Chatelaine a month ago and nobody has responded. They don't have any other information on how to contact the group other than listing people's home phone numbers. Where do I go from here?

      Thanks, Sarah (no SCA name yet) >>>

      Although it is often best to become a regular member by paying dues to the national organization, it isn't required. I usually recommend that new folks play for a few months before paying the annual dues. So "join" by starting to play with your chosen group. And you are not required to play with or only with your local group. Some people do find that other groups fit in better with what they want to do. For instance, if your local group is mostly into fighting, but you wish to do more Arts and Sciences stuff, and another nearby group is more into Service or the Arts, then you might consider them.

      Shires are often small groups and sometimes don't have a lot of extra manpower, so it is possible that the website hasn't been updated to show that a new Chatelaine has taken over. Everyone is welcome at meetings and events, so you might also look at their website and see where their next activities are and try to visit with them there.

      If you have a home phone number, start with that. Even if it is for someone other than the Chatelaine. It gives you a starting point, and if they can't help you directly, they can probably tell you who to talk to. Years ago, a year or two after joining the SCA, I was up in my hometown for the Yule holidays. I wanted to see if I could attend the Yule Revel going on on the other side of the Metroplex (Dallas and Ft. Worth). I couldn't get a hold of the Hospitalier (what some kingdoms call the Chatelaine), so I started calling some of the officers. The first one I called, Lord Gunthar (now Duke Gunthar) not only was able to fill me in on details, but was willing to pick me up and take me to that event.

      So, if you aren't getting a response, try calling other people. That individual may not be ignoring or avoiding you. Although it might seem that way. :-(

      <<< PS Its the Shire of Isenfir in Atlantia if that is any help. >>>

      That is a good start and it sounds like they may make contact with you.

      What interests you in the SCA? Are there particular activities that are of interest to you?

      You might want to glance at the files in the NEWCOMERS section of my Florilegium site, given in my address block below. After the NEWCOMERS section, there are a lot of other sections depending upon where your interests lie.

      Here are a few files about your home kingdom from the SCA-STORIES section:
      Atlantia-hist-msg (48K) 2/ 5/12 Histories of the Kingdom of Atlantia.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/Atlantia-hist-msg.html

      Atlant-rapier-msg (13K) 7/23/05 History of rapier combat in the SCA Kingdom of Atlantia.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/Atlant-rapier-msg.html

      Please email me if I can help you further.

      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Bill Toscano