A quick question about Swedish surnames

  • rogue_mouser
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2013
      Hi, all.

      I'm putting together a Swedish persona, but I know very little about Swedish surname construction. I know that many surnames in pre-1600s Sweden were descriptive, and after some digging, I'm leaning toward the surname Skaldsvard, where Skald might mean poet and svard means sword.

      Is there anyone here who can tell me whether this is a proper construction of a Swedish surname, and also, can anyone point me toward a good resource for Swedish surname construction that isn't in Swedish?
    • Alison Choyce
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2013
        Hi,

        Great question. Here is an answer for anyone trying to put together an
        accurate and also registerable name. http://www.s-gabriel.org/

        That said, if you go here on the St Gabe's website
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/scandinavian.shtml , there is a section on
        Swedish names. If you read through some of the Swedish articles and the
        general Norse articles, you will find good information on forming a byname.

        You said you are looking at a name meaning something like [poet]-[sword].
        Have you seen any names that have two elements that are descriptive like
        this? I have not done research on Swedish names myself, but in most of the
        work I have done on researching names (I have served as a herald), I have
        not seen that type of construction. Descriptive names are often a type of
        nickname, and they choose one element that describes you, such as [John the
        poet] or [John the sword-bearer].

        What you want to look for is the pattern. Is it *patronimic,* meaning does
        it have the first name of one parent, followed by *son, sen, ssen,
        dottir?*Is it
        *locative, *meaning does say you are from a certain place, such as a town
        or hill, or forest or such (think Lancelot du Lac=Lancelot of the Lake)? Or
        is it *descriptive*? And if it is descriptive, are there any instances
        where it describes more than one quality? Descriptive bynames were most
        often given people around the person who bears the name, so they were often
        not complimentary, such as [John the tall]. Or for the same larger man,
        [John the short] meaning 'we are making fun of him by calling him short,
        when he is clearly not at all short.' There was a French king known as
        Phillip the Fair, who was supposed to be good looking. But that same name
        could imply that he is not a fighter. Does that make sense?

        You can email St Gabe's for more help (the website has always said they are
        on vacation..., and it takes a little while for someone to do the research,
        but you should hear back from them after a little while). Do you have any
        heralds in your area that could of any help?

        Alison Wodehalle
        East Kingdom

        --
        ~Alison

      • rogue_mouser
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21, 2013
          Thanks for that information! I'll be sure to email the Academy as soon as their web site stops saying they're on vacation. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for a suitable surname. Maybe I'd be better learning a bit more about the history and geography of Sweden and Finland before I pick a surname.

          I'm sure there's a herald about somewhere locally, but I haven't been to a local meeting or practice yet. My understanding is that everyone's off at war at the moment. I'm not actually new to the SCA, just a decade or more out of it, and getting back into it because my wife and daughter won't let me rest until I do. :)
        • Nikki
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21, 2013
            You'll be waiting for quite some time. The Academy is really only active
            behind the scenes at this point. You're better off going to your local
            herald. If you can't make it too a local meeting, you can check your
            local/kingdom website and see if electronic consultations are available.

            On 8/21/2013 7:31 PM, rogue_mouser wrote:

            > Thanks for that information! I'll be sure to email the Academy as soon
            > as their web site stops saying they're on vacation. In the meantime,
            > I'll keep looking for a suitable surname. Maybe I'd be better learning
            > a bit more about the history and geography of Sweden and Finland
            > before I pick a surname.
            >
            > I'm sure there's a herald about somewhere locally, but I haven't been
            > to a local meeting or practice yet. My understanding is that
            > everyone's off at war at the moment. I'm not actually new to the SCA,
            > just a decade or more out of it, and getting back into it because my
            > wife and daughter won't let me rest until I do. :)

          • greenfaere1
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 22, 2013
              Firstly, Welcome Back!

              Pennsic War was a week early this year, ending Aug 3rd, so most of us who attended are pretty well recovered at this point. :) I would go ahead and email your local herald. Which kingdom are you in? There may be some of us who could point you to help in your area if we know where you are.

              I know a one or two of the people who do some of the research on St Gabe's. It's never quick, but when someone has time they do try to answer questions, and help with research. A simple question like "how do I construct a Swedish Descriptive byname, within this time frame [give a range of years, no more than about a century]?" is more likely to get an answer more quickly than asking them to research specific meanings or names. And, as I said the message about vacation is perpetually there, it never comes down after years of looking at the website.

              Your answer about construction (particularly about whether you can use 2 descriptors in a descriptive byname) may already be in the articles that are posted as well, so read through those first.

              If you are in the East, I can put you in touch with good heralds. If you are in another kingdom, I can ask the people I know who to put you in touch with.

              ~Alison Wodehalle
              East Kingdom