Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Names

  • Sevika Balachandra
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 24, 2013
      Stefan, only one person aside from me uses "Lalleshwari." My persona is
      named after a 15th century Kashmiri poetess. The Muslims called her
      "Lalla." I was not originally aware that this was a Muslim name and not
      simply a nickname, so when people began to give up (immediately) on
      pronouncing "Lalleshwari," I told them "Lalla" was fine. One of my friends
      picked it up, started pronouncing it "Lahl-lah" (it's supposed to be
      pronounced more like "Lull" as in "lullaby,") it made the rounds, and now
      it's what most people call me. I don't have the power to change it at this
      point and even if I did, they're my friends, and I don't want to argue
      every time they call my name. Also, as a woman told me at my last event,
      "sometimes the nickname chooses you."

      However, I have not registered my persona's name in any form yet. I plan to
      bring documentation and look into doing so at Pennsic. I've been playing
      since February this year and I've been an official member since earlier
      this month.

      Locally, we have a Lady who has been a member for many years, and she had
      some difficulty registering her name at first, but it happened after a few
      years. Sometimes heralds disagree.

      "There is at least one document where the same person's name is spelled
      three different ways, on the same document."

      HA ^ :) this makes me happy.

      Sincerely,

      Lalleshwari Sah, called Lalla

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...

    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
        Just a note, registering names and devices at Pennsic while very convenient
        and you get excellent advice, does have a much longer processing time than
        if you do it through your own Kingdom's heraldic channels.

        Yours in Service,

        Ian the Green

        Yours In Service,

        THLord Ian the Green

        "Resistit simplicitati veritas"

      • Bill Toscano
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
          Is that still true with electronic submissions?