Newcomer checking in

  • alienor_dharcourt
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2013
      Well met, all.

      I wanted to introduce myself. I am called Alienor and currently reside in the fabulous Barony of Stargate in the lovely kingdom of Ansteorra. I had some slight experience with the SCA about a decade ago when a very ex-boyfriend introduced me. I only went to a couple of events, but it stayed with me. Due to mundane life getting in the way, I haven't had the opportunity to participate though I've continued to pine away. Now that my daughter is a little bit older (and we have some more disposable income...daycare expenses are crazy!) I finally will be able to join in the way I've wanted to for years. I'm excited to be able to join all you fine people in Society. Thank you all for having me.

      Alienor d'Harcourt
    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2013
        Here is your contact for the newcomer person -- ciarnat@...

        The baron, Master Robert McPharland, bandb@... , is a
        dear friend and one fo the coolest people in the SCA.

        Tell him Liam sent you.

        On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM, alienor_dharcourt <
        alienordharcourt@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Well met, all.
        >
        > I wanted to introduce myself. I am called Alienor and currently reside in
        > the fabulous Barony of Stargate in the lovely kingdom of Ansteorra. I had
        > some slight experience with the SCA about a decade ago when a very
        > ex-boyfriend introduced me. I only went to a couple of events, but it
        > stayed with me. Due to mundane life getting in the way, I haven't had the
        > opportunity to participate though I've continued to pine away. Now that my
        > daughter is a little bit older (and we have some more disposable
        > income...daycare expenses are crazy!) I finally will be able to join in the
        > way I've wanted to for years. I'm excited to be able to join all you fine
        > people in Society. Thank you all for having me.
        >
        > Alienor d'Harcourt

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2013
          Alienor d'Harcourt said:
          <<< I wanted to introduce myself. I am called Alienor and currently reside in the fabulous Barony of Stargate in the lovely kingdom of Ansteorra. I had some slight experience with the SCA about a decade ago when a very ex-boyfriend introduced me. I only went to a couple of events, but it stayed with me. Due to mundane life getting in the way, I haven't had the opportunity to participate though I've continued to pine away. Now that my daughter is a little bit older (and we have some more disposable income...daycare expenses are crazy!) I finally will be able to join in the way I've wanted to for years. I'm excited to be able to join all you fine people in Society. Thank you all for having me. >>>

          What were the activities that you enjoyed the most in the SCA previously?

          As the folks in the SCA have gotten older, it has become a more child-friendly place.

          SCA-children-msg (16K) 3/ 6/11 Are SCA children different from other children?
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-children-msg.html

          This is from the SCA-SPCIOLOGY section of my Florilegium files. You didn't say how old your daughter is, but you might find some of the files in the CHILDREN section to be of interest such as:

          p-cook-child-art (8K) 1/25/06 "Bored? Period Cooking For the Next Generation!" by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/p-cook-child-art.html

          chd-actvites-msg (64K) 7/ 3/11 Children's activities for SCA events.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/chd-actvites-msg.html

          teenagers-msg (34K) 12/ 1/08 Period and SCA teenagers. SCA activities.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/teenagers-msg.html

          toys-msg (70K) 1/22/11 Period and SCA toys.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/toys-msg.html

          Toys-in-th-MA-art (26K) 8/30/99 "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady Margritte of Ravenscroft.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Toys-in-th-MA-art.html

          Although you've been in the SCA before, you might also want to glance through the NEWCOMERS section. For instance, there has been a new edition of the Known World Handbook published.

          KW-Handbook-msg (12K) 11/25/10 Comments about the Known World Handbook.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/KW-Handbook-msg.html

          I hope this helps. If you make it up to the Barony of Bryn Gwlad (Austin, TX), try to look me up. It's difficult for me to travel due to health reasons right now, but there is a local event, BG Baronial Championship, coming up here in October.

          Stefan

          --------
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
        • alienor.leblanc
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2013
            While I was much younger, I would think I have outgrown the activities in which I had participated. Nowadays I'm more more content with needlework and such. My daughter is five and is excited to "dress up like a princess and go camping." I look forward to using this as a bonding experience between the two of us and hope to foster a love of history with her.

            Despite my previous experience, I'm treating this as though I'm a newcomer, simply because it's been so long and the experience I did have was rather limited. I'm determined to do this right and have been researching tirelessly.

            Thank you for all your help and I'll most certainly try to come up in October. :-)

            > Alienor said:
            > <<< I wanted to introduce myself. I am called Alienor and currently reside in the fabulous Barony of Stargate in the lovely kingdom of Ansteorra. I had some slight experience with the SCA about a decade ago when a very ex-boyfriend introduced me. I only went to a couple of events, but it stayed with me. Due to mundane life getting in the way, I haven't had the opportunity to participate though I've continued to pine away. Now that my daughter is a little bit older (and we have some more disposable income...daycare expenses are crazy!) I finally will be able to join in the way I've wanted to for years. I'm excited to be able to join all you fine people in Society. Thank you all for having me. >>>
            >
            > What were the activities that you enjoyed the most in the SCA previously?
            >
            > As the folks in the SCA have gotten older, it has become a more child-friendly place.
            >
            > SCA-children-msg (16K) 3/ 6/11 Are SCA children different from other children?
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-children-msg.html
            >
            > This is from the SCA-SPCIOLOGY section of my Florilegium files. You didn't say how old your daughter is, but you might find some of the files in the CHILDREN section to be of interest such as:
            >
            > p-cook-child-art (8K) 1/25/06 "Bored? Period Cooking For the Next Generation!" by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/p-cook-child-art.html
            >
            > chd-actvites-msg (64K) 7/ 3/11 Children's activities for SCA events.
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/chd-actvites-msg.html
            >
            > teenagers-msg (34K) 12/ 1/08 Period and SCA teenagers. SCA activities.
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/teenagers-msg.html
            >
            > toys-msg (70K) 1/22/11 Period and SCA toys.
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/toys-msg.html
            >
            > Toys-in-th-MA-art (26K) 8/30/99 "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady Margritte of Ravenscroft.
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Toys-in-th-MA-art.html
            >
            > Although you've been in the SCA before, you might also want to glance through the NEWCOMERS section. For instance, there has been a new edition of the Known World Handbook published.
            >
            > KW-Handbook-msg (12K) 11/25/10 Comments about the Known World Handbook.
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/KW-Handbook-msg.html
            >
            > I hope this helps. If you make it up to the Barony of Bryn Gwlad (Austin, TX), try to look me up. It's difficult for me to travel due to health reasons right now, but there is a local event, BG Baronial Championship, coming up here in October.
            >
            > Stefan
            >
            > --------

          • alienor.leblanc
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2013
              Thank you so very much. I'll send an email closer to our next populace meeting. :-)