Re: [SCA Newcomers] newcomers meetings in vancouver bc

  • Dan Miner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2013
      I'm in the lionsgate area, and I was introduced to
      Tamsyn leRous <tamsynlerous@...>

      She has a mailing list, and may know people who would be interested in the
      meet up. My wife and I are still quite new ourselves and although both of
      us would likely not be able to make it due to a small child, one of us may
      be interested in attending.

      Cheers,
      Dan

      --
      Cheers,
      Dan

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2013
        Dan commented:
        <<< I'm in the lionsgate area, and I was introduced to
        Tamsyn leRous <tamsynlerous@...> >>>

        The An Tir website should be locatable with a simple google search. It will have a list of the local groups in An Tir and that will tell you and the other poster which groups might be near you.

        <<< She has a mailing list, and may know people who would be interested in the
        meet up. >>>

        You don't need to organize a local group in order to create a local support group to carpool together to other group's events and help you do things locally. In fact, I generally recommend forming a household (an informal SCA group) rather than burden yourself with the formalities of a creating a local official group.
        Houses-Guilds-art (8K) 6/19/12 "On Households, Guilds etc in the SCA" by Lord Ian the Green.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Houses-Guilds-art.html

        SCA-Housholds-art (10K) 8/31/09 "Introduction to SCA Households" by Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-Housholds-art.html

        <<< My wife and I are still quite new ourselves and although both of
        us would likely not be able to make it due to a small child, one of us may
        be interested in attending. >>>

        Are you talking about one specific event? The SCA can be a great learning environment for children and you can make it easier on yourself by banding together with other parents to share childcare/watching work.

        Take a look at some of the files in the Florilegium CHILDREN section to see if some of them might help you.
        babies-msg (124K) 12/ 1/11 Camping with babies.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/babies-msg.html

        children-SCA-msg (20K) 5/20/12 Comments about children in the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/children-SCA-msg.html

        child-clothes-msg (40K) 5/12/11 Period and SCA children's clothing.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-clothes-msg.html

        child-gam-msg (30K) 8/25/00 Period and SCA children's games.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-gam-msg.html

        child-tags-msg (24K) 5/20/12 Identity tags for children at SCA events.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-tags-msg.html

        child-wagons-msg (12K) 8/21/07 Wagons for hauling children at events.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-wagons-msg.html

        toddlr-tethrs-msg (14K) 4/29/09 Use of tethers/"leading strings" to control toddlers in period and the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/toddlr-tethrs-msg.html

        Stefan
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris