Re: [SCA Newcomers] need help with practice armor for foster son

  • Norana Cantrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2013
      There's always carpet and duct tape!

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Jen <knightsmount@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > We have two foster children who came to us eighteen months ago with zero
      > formal education beyond basic reading and even less life experience.
      > In an attempt to get them engaged in SOMETHING, a visit to a local SCA
      > group sparked some interest in the 16 yr old boy in regard to becoming a
      > heavy fighter.
      >
      > Our issue, he needs protective gear in order to begin the learning
      > process, however, our budget is limited and it remains to be seen if he
      > will stick with this once he experiences the pain factor of real practice
      > against a partner. So far he has not remained engaged in any new endeavor,
      > especially if it requires physical exertion.
      >
      > Can you suggest something which we can use that will protect him
      > appropriately for fighter practice that won't be a huge financial
      > commitment?
      >
      > This boy is so far behind his peers in basic physical development and
      > athletic ability and we are hopeful that fighter practice and competition
      > will give him some drive to learn that physical exertion is a good thing
      > with long-term benefits!
      >
      > I have found the "make it yourself" protective gear descriptions using
      > plastic barrels etc, I just don't have the time right now to make
      > protective gear.
      >
      > Is there some protective gear from some other mundane sport that can be
      > adapted for fighter practice?
      >
      > Hope someone can offer guidance and suggestions...
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Jenna
      > central Oklahoma

    • Mack Cothran
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2013
        Jen, talk to your local chapter.  Most of the time, they have loaner gear that he can use until he decides it is what he wants to do and can get his own.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2013
          Have a chat with the local group, a lot of them have "loaner gear" that can be borrowed at practices until he decides if he wants to stick with it. Then all you would need to provide him would be "personal groin protection" aka a cup.

          ~Shandra
          Calontir

          --------- Original Message --------- Subject: [SCA Newcomers] need help with practice armor for foster son