re: Names

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 22, 2013
      <<< I'm just getting started in the SCA and looking at names/personas. I was wanting to be irish/gaelic. Something in there. I was looking at the name Aoife. Does anyone know anything about this name? It's history. If it's expectable and the time period it came around. >>>

      I've known of at least two people using the name "Aoife" in the SCA, so I suspect it is okay. I don't know the details or their time period though. Also, just because someone got approval in the past doesn't mean a name is still valid as research is ongoing and the rules can change from time to time.

      I would look up the St. Gabriel site for name verification and proof. I stopped adding a lot of name information to the Florilegium when that site got developed. It is run by some of the SCA heraldry folks.

      As you are new, I would also recommend that you take a look at some of the files in the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium. Some that seem to meet your current inquiry include:

      Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers" by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and Malachias von Morgenstern.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

      names-FAQ (14K) 5/ 8/96 Choosing and registering names in the SCA.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/names-FAQ.html

      Persna-Devlop-art (12K) 1/26/11 "Some Thoughts on Persona Development" by Domna Liutgard of Luxeuil (O.L.)
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Persna-Devlop-art.html

      Persona-101-art (8K) 4/19/08 "Persona 101" by L. Kyleena of the Ansteorran Rom.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Persona-101-art.html

      Persona-4-NC-art (6K) 4/ 2/13 "Persona, do I need one?
" by Lady Alison Wodehalle.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Persona-4-NC-art.html

      Ireland-lnks (20K) 12/25/03 Web links to medieval Ireland by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      (notice the author's name. This is one of the "Aoife"s I know.)
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Ireland-lnks.html

      Ireland-msg (76K) 1/10/10 Irish culture, dress. Points of interest.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Ireland-msg.html

      In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
      fd-Ireland-msg (87K) 3/25/13 Medieval Irish food. references. recipes.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Iceland-msg.html

      I hope these give you a start. There are also lots of other files in the Florilegium that might be of interest to you as well, depending upon what draws you to the SCA.

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 23, 2013
        Lalleshwari Sah, called Lalla commented:
        <<< P.P.S. What I meant, by doing research and documentation and checking with
        the college of heralds, is that you should do that at some point if you
        wish to have your persona's name registered. It's not technically necessary
        to do all that to start using it. A lot of people never register their
        personas' names. >>>

        Yes, you can use a name that you haven't registered or isn't registerable.

        However, I would think carefully before you do such a thing.

        In fact, I would hold off using a name until you have a good idea it *can* be registered.

        Even more I would make sure that SOMEONE ELSE hasn't registered a name before you start to use it. With the registered names online this is a fairly easy thing to do these days. When I registered my name, checking it involved getting and checking through a half-dozen floppy disks to make sure that it wasn't already registered. :-)

        But don't wait too long. Folks in the Society have a way of making up their own name for you, if you wait too long. Ask John the Plain (who answered, "I'm just plain John") or Eve the Just (who had said "I'm just Eve"). She is now after a number of years trying change that to Astridr.

        One thing to keep in mind is that at first, you really only need a first name. You can get along with just that for a while. My AoA scroll says "Stephan of Bryn Gwlad", because at that time, a year into playing in the Society, I hadn't picked a last name yet. And as you can see, the spelling changed also, but spelling was often rather irregular in period. There is at least one document where the same person's name is spelled three different ways, on the same document.

        Some people will wish to use a nickname that they've already been using outside of the SCA. Even if you can't find that name used in your time period in your region, sometimes you can come up with formal name which is close, but still use the nickname for informal use. Sometimes folks have found their nickname used as a last name, but not as a first name, and will register the name that way. Lalla, is that what you did?

        This can mean that, even if it passes the heralds as being period, you have an odd name, in that while it was used in period, it would be rather odd to hear it in your chosen period. The same goes with mixing first and last names. Today it would be strange to be Kennedy John or Bush George.

        Also remember that if you choose a difficult to read and pronounce name, even if the heralds are good and try their best, you may hear many different pronunciations in Court. :-)

        While you can always change your persona name later, the longer and wider you are known by that name the harder it will be to change it later.

        Since you rarely write your name on a lot of objects in ways that can't be changed later, using a name and then having to register a different spelling or different name seldom causes real pain.

        However, I would definitely hold off painting or carving your heraldic device on items until after you have that officially registered!

        Stefan

        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      • Sevika Balachandra
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 24, 2013
          Stefan, only one person aside from me uses "Lalleshwari." My persona is
          named after a 15th century Kashmiri poetess. The Muslims called her
          "Lalla." I was not originally aware that this was a Muslim name and not
          simply a nickname, so when people began to give up (immediately) on
          pronouncing "Lalleshwari," I told them "Lalla" was fine. One of my friends
          picked it up, started pronouncing it "Lahl-lah" (it's supposed to be
          pronounced more like "Lull" as in "lullaby,") it made the rounds, and now
          it's what most people call me. I don't have the power to change it at this
          point and even if I did, they're my friends, and I don't want to argue
          every time they call my name. Also, as a woman told me at my last event,
          "sometimes the nickname chooses you."

          However, I have not registered my persona's name in any form yet. I plan to
          bring documentation and look into doing so at Pennsic. I've been playing
          since February this year and I've been an official member since earlier
          this month.

          Locally, we have a Lady who has been a member for many years, and she had
          some difficulty registering her name at first, but it happened after a few
          years. Sometimes heralds disagree.

          "There is at least one document where the same person's name is spelled
          three different ways, on the same document."

          HA ^ :) this makes me happy.

          Sincerely,

          Lalleshwari Sah, called Lalla

          On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...
> [...]

          > have an odd name, in that while it was used in period, it would be rather
          > odd to hear it in your chosen period. The same goes with mixing first and
          > last names. Today it would be strange to be Kennedy John or Bush George.
          >
          > Also remember that if you choose a difficult to read and pronounce name,
          > even if the heralds are good and try their best, you may hear many
          > different pronunciations in Court. :-)
          >
          > While you can always change your persona name later, the longer and wider
          > you are known by that name the harder it will be to change it later.
          >
          > Since you rarely write your name on a lot of objects in ways that can't be
          > changed later, using a name and then having to register a different
          > spelling or different name seldom causes real pain.
          >
          > However, I would definitely hold off painting or carving your heraldic
          > device on items until after you have that officially registered!

        • Ian Green
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
            Just a note, registering names and devices at Pennsic while very convenient
            and you get excellent advice, does have a much longer processing time than
            if you do it through your own Kingdom's heraldic channels.

            Yours in Service,

            Ian the Green

            Yours In Service,

            THLord Ian the Green

            "Resistit simplicitati veritas"

          • Bill Toscano
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
              Is that still true with electronic submissions?