"Viking" chairs

  • Honour Horne-Jaruk
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 2:46 PM

      Respected friends:

      D'vorah bint Da'ud replied to Stefan li Rous with:
      <<< On 29 May 2013, at 8:10 PM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...> wrote:

      >> The so-called "Viking Chair", made out of two wide two inch planks, appears to be only as old as the '60s. the 1960s.

      >Ahem.
      Not exactly. Its design is at least a millennium old, in Africa.
      Somewhere, I had the documentation -- a photograph from an extant chair
      >QUITE old and well within period, if not before, from some museum
      somewhere -- but the link doesn't work anymore. >>>
      Actually, it's even more complicated than that; the African version is/was made
      out of small, thin planks of tropical woods that are immensely strong
      even when only 3/4 to 1 inch thick. They were the possessions of Kings
      and tribal chiefs, thus both rare and protected, and certainly didn't
      end up anywhere near Europe within our time period. The SCA's "Viking
      Chair" was swiped from a design promoted by the Boy Scouts, and bears- at best- only a tenuous relationship to the African Kingseats.

      Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
      (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
      Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

      "If you're a normal human, the inside of your head is not a pretty
      place. Venting it unfiltered to the internet may feel therapeutic,
      but it's unlikely to end well."
      --Goedjn

    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
        My only comment is that they *look* a heck of a lot more period.

        You mileage may vary on that.

        Liam