Re: [SCA Newcomers] Digest Number 2793

  • Honour Horne-Jaruk
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 2:02 PM

      Respected friends:
      D'vorah bint Da'ud replied to Stefan li Rous with:
      <<< On 29 May 2013, at 8:10 PM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...> wrote:

      > The so-called "Viking Chair", made out of two wide two inch planks, appears to be only as old as the '60s. the 1960s.

      Ahem.
      Not exactly. Its design is at least a millennium old, in Africa.
      Somewhere, I had the documentation -- a photograph from an extant chair
      QUITE old and well within period, if not before, from some museum
      somewhere -- but the link doesn't work anymore. >>>

      Actually, it's even more complicated than that; the African version is/was made out of small, thin planks of tropical woods that are immensely strong even when only 3/4 to 1 inch thick. They were the possessions of Kings and tribal chiefs, thus both rare and protected, and certainly didn't end up anywhere near Europe within our time period. The SCA's "Viking Chair" was swiped from a design promoted by the Boy Scouts, and bears-at best- only a tenuous relationship to the African Kingseats.

      Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
      (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
      Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

      "If you're a normal human, the inside of your head is not a pretty
      place. Venting it unfiltered to the internet may feel therapeutic,
      but it's unlikely to end well."
      --Goedjn

      ________________________________

      D'vorah bint Da'ud replied to me with:
      <<< On 29 May 2013, at 8:10 PM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...> wrote:

      > The so-called "Viking Chair", made out of two wide two inch planks, appears to be only as old as the '60s. the 1960s.

      Ahem. Not exactly. Its design is at least a millennium old, in Africa. Somewhere, I had the documentation -- a photograph from an extant chair QUITE old and well within period, if not before, from some museum somewhere -- but the link doesn't work anymore. >>>

    • D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31 2:17 PM
        On 31 May 2013, at 2:02 PM, Honour Horne-Jaruk <jarukcomp@...> wrote:

        > Respected friends:
        > D'vorah bint Da'ud replied to Stefan li Rous with:
        > <<< On 29 May 2013, at 8:10 PM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...> wrote:
        >
        >> The so-called "Viking Chair", made out of two wide two inch planks, appears to be only as old as the '60s. the 1960s.
        >
        > Its design is at least a millennium old, in Africa.
        >
        > Actually, it's even more complicated than that […]certainly didn't end up anywhere near Europe within our time period. The SCA's "Viking Chair" was swiped from a design promoted by the Boy Scouts, and bears-at best- only a tenuous relationship to the African Kingseats.

        1. Glad, again, not to be from the cold cold North. *hugs beloved Yemen, where a brand-new woodworker might be able to make something she could sit in*
        2. Other than being made of thinner and stronger would, do you know the differences in basic design? I'd be interested to learn more, because the one picture I did see was very similar to the bog chairs that are so common at SCA events, barring the styles of carving/decoration.
        D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
        Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
        dvorah@...
        http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
        Twitter: @DvorahSCA
        Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

        "Purpure, in chief three bees Or marked purpure and on a point pointed Or a bee purpure marked Or."