Re: Tents, horses, too bright (modern color) garb and shoes for peop

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2013
      <<< Thank you so much for the links and the info. >>>

      I hope others here found it useful as well.

      <<< When I said "pop" it was the color not my horse herself… >>>

      Sometimes I've heard of cloth or clothing "popping" in the wind. This is one possibility I had in mind. Since horses can be skittish, "popping' banners or cloths could be a problem.

      <<< She is a very understanding if neurotic horse. >>>

      Work on training her to the unusual items and noises of SCA events. We have had several episodes at our local events through the years. Particularly when using horses in royal processions and such. At one, the queen, Alisha, was riding into court. I don't remember whether she was directing the horse or the horse was lead. Something spooked the horse and it reared up, she slid off the horse to the back and then the horse fell on her. Luckily she was trussed up in an Elizabethan outfit, boning and all, so she wasn't as hurt as she could have been. She was up and doing Queenly things a couple of hours later.

      <<< I have a wooden chair I can hide under cloth and a folding one, a camp cot, a sleeping bag... and will start on either buying or slightly fixing a dome tent that a friend wants to lend me. >>>

      The wooden chair might be fine without covering it. It depends upon how modern looking it is. I started out with an aluminum and nylon webbed lawn chair. That one I did cover with something until I bought a wooden "director's" chair. Not exactly medieval, but generally used uncovered.

      <<< so back to clothing, looking at the garb I have pulled from storage (thank goodness for plastic totes)
      I have what would be a nice over dress with bell sleeves.. but for the color.....
      It is BRIGHT.. BRIGHT.. turquoise blue/green muslin looking like this
      http://owlandpussycat.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_5034.jpg
      but brighter..really not kidding..
      I want to wear it, I bought it at the last SCA event in CA I went to.

      Is there a way like tea or coffee grounds or a dye?? anything?? I really like the look and the flow but really just cannot wear it with that color.. LOL >>>

      If *you* don't like the color then you can change it. However, as Ian the Green pointed out, there seems to be a widespread myth about colors in the Middle Ages. Some colors and styles are seen as particularly garish today.

      Furniture and woodworking is another area of this. We are surrounded by artificial environments, and go to large efforts "to get back to nature". Our fine furniture and cabinets are often in stained and polished wood. Because they were surrounded by nature, they tended to move in the other direction, painting wooden items in bright colors. Again, the remaining items have often had the paint worn off or dirtied over the years.

      I remember choosing a rather, rough, open-weave fabric for one of the first outfits that I had made, so that it would be more authentic. After all, medieval fabric was hand spun and woven. NOT. Yes, it was hand spun and woven, but actually the general quality of fabric has gone down with mechanization. Hand made fabrics can be much finer than what you find in the fabric stores today. At least here in the south, I've found this to be particularly true of linen. :-(

      <<< And I know I will wear boots when up on or around my horse, but I know that there will be quite a bit of time where I won't be and want a shoe that I can wear with my garb. >>>

      Boots are surprisingly late in period. As are heels. But the reason for both was probably horse riding.
      boots-msg (47K) 9/13/00 Period boots and SCA imitations.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/boots-msg.html

      shoes-msg (124K) 5/24/11 Medieval footwear and SCA imitations.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/shoes-msg.html

      pattens-chpns-msg (12K) 3/ 6/09 Medieval pattens and chopines.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/pattens-chpns-msg.html

      For those who want to do things more accurately, rather then just getting by:
      p-shoes-msg (68K) 9/ 4/11 Medieval footwear.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/p-shoes-msg.html

      For those who wish to make their own:
      shoemaking-msg (36K) 3/24/12 Making shoes. More detailed than shoes-msg.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/shoemaking-msg.html

      Some simple to make shoes:
      2Shod-a-Shire-art (8K) 7/ 4/02 "To Shod A Shire" by Lady Eowyn "Eo" Swiftler.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/2Shod-a-Shire-art.html

      Caligae-Boots-art (16K) 4/ 4/10 "Caligae – Roman Army Boots" by Viscount Sir Corin Anderson (KSCA, OP).
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Caligae-Boots-art.html

      <<< I know I know ...I need to keep it simple but I don't want to show up in tennis shoes and a paper cone hat with a scarf on the end of it, I think I wore that for halloween as a 3 or 4 yr old… LOL >>>

      Actually tennis shoes can work. I would choose a pair in black or non-obtrusive plain, single color. You will find in the Florilegium comments by Don Tivar Moondragon, the individual who really started rapier combat in the SCA and who was the Society Rapier Marshall for years, that this is what he commonly wears. With a very nice red and black Elizabethan doublet and trunk hose. See his article on making simple trunk hose in the Florilegium. :-)

      Children are often given a bit more slack on their clothing since they outgrow things so quickly. You didn't mention having any children, but there are several articles on making children's clothing in the Florilegium CHILDREN section.

      If you are unattached, the SCA can be a good place to find a partner. Many folks, including myself, have.
      SCA-romance-msg (40K) 2/13/06 SCA romances and meeting SOs in the SCA.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/SCA-romance-msg.html

      romance-today-msg (16K) 9/ 5/10 Romantic ideas from period to use today.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/romance-today-msg.html

      Stefan

      PS: Hmmm. "people" shoes. I really don't have much on period horseshoes. If someone knows of a paper written by an SCA person or is willing to write one, please contact me. :-)
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2013
        On 28 May 2013, at 10:51 AM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...> wrote:

        > I started out with an aluminum and nylon webbed lawn chair. That one I did cover with something until I bought a wooden "director's" chair. Not exactly medieval, but generally used uncovered.

        I can't document this myself, but I've heard from multiple sources that a "director's" chair actually IS medieval. It just doesn't seem medieval to people who only think of it in terms of a movie set. I hope some furniture mavens will chime in on this and confirm. Canvas or leather would both be appropriate, if so.
        D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
        Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
        dvorah@...
        http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
        Twitter: @DvorahSCA
        Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

        "Purpure, in chief three bees Or marked purpure and on a point pointed Or a bee purpure marked Or."
      • Justinos Tekton
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2013
          On May 28, 2013, at 14:12 , D'vorah bint Da'ud <dvorah@...> wrote:

          > I can't document this myself, but I've heard from multiple sources that a "director's" chair actually IS medieval. It just doesn't seem medieval to people who only think of it in terms of a movie set. I hope some furniture mavens will chime in on this and confirm. Canvas or leather would both be appropriate, if so.

          There is certainly a close wood analog, the "X chair", that I believe can be documented back to Tudor England at least. (Don't quote me on that, as I'm working from memory and didn't specifially look it up just now.)