Re: Greetings, Sort of a Newbie... LOL

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 12 , May 24, 2013
      Carol asked:
      <<< As I mentioned I have a bit of barding although it is a darker blue and doesn't "pop" against my mares bay coat.>>>

      You said "pop". Do you mean an action, as you are riding? Or do you mean you want it to stand out more color wise?

      Again, what you have now will do and you can always change it later.

      <<< I just want to re-use that headstall and breast collar since I have it.
      I actually plan to bring two horses, and have the perfect saddle blanket type barding for the other horse. >>>

      A bit more on horse items (accessories?):
      p-saddle-bags-msg (12K) 8/ 6/11 Period saddle bags. The ways items were
      carried on horses.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/p-saddle-bags-msg.html

      saddles-msg (12K) 11/26/04 Period saddles. Saddles for SCA use.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/saddles-msg.html

      Sadle-Blankts-art (20K) 11/ 8/08 "Treasures Under the Saddle (16th Century
      Persian Saddle Blanket)" by The Honorable Lady Maria de Andalusia.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/Sadle-Blankts-art.html

      Stirrups-Hist-art (30K) 4/ 8/08 "A Short History Of Equestrian Stirrups" by
      The Honorable Lady Maria de Andalusia.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/Stirrups-Hist-art.html

      <<< And I don't have a tent of my own yet. not even a "ground pimple" as they are referred to at times.
      Which is why I thought to make one out of "household" ingredients. LOL >>>
      16thC-pavilon-art (16K) 5/30/10 "Constructing a 16th Century European
      Pavilion" by Seamus O'Cearbhaill
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/16thC-pavilon-art.html

      If you are just looking for something to set up alongside the tournament field this is a good alternative to one you might need for overnight camping. If you are looking to do overnight camping, not all kingdoms have such events, I recommend taking a look at the SCA-CAMPING section in the Florilegium.
      MaMSP-art (9K) 9/23/98 article: Making a Medieval Shade Pavilion.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/MaMSP-art.html

      If your sewing machine is one of the older ones, with metal gears, making your own tent is possible, although a lot of work. Here is a starting point. See other files in this section as well.
      tent-making-msg (11K) 4/13/99 Useful ideas when making tents.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-making-msg.html

      <<< And I need something for my head AND to cover my helmet. >>>
      Are you taking about your equestrian helmet? I'm not sure what our local equestrians are using. Those doing jousting are using metal helmets that, i think, meet the SCA combat rules. On a horse you'll need something which will stay on your head. A simple veil may work.
      In the Florilegium ACCESSORIES section:
      veils-msg (20K) 1/31/12 Period veils. How to wear them.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/veils-msg.html

      headgear-msg (114K) 2/ 5/08 Hats, veils and other headgear.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/headgear-msg.html

      <<< I have most of my stuff to eat off of and with, and just the fiddly bits to put together… LOL >>>
      feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the SCA.
      cleaning wooden feast gear.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • C
      Message 2 of 12 , May 25, 2013
        Stefen,

        Thank you so much for the links and the info.
        When I said "pop" it was the color not my horse herself...
        I rode her fir the second time since winter, 2nd time in a week too...
        She is so used to me doing weird stuff to her, I saddled her up and was trotting up and down the driveway with a broom handle, stabbing at a milk jug on the ground and getting her used to me carrying a stick near her head... from up on her back...
        She is a very understanding if neurotic horse.

        I have a wooden chair I can hide under cloth and a folding one, a camp cot, a sleeping bag... and will start on either buying or slightly fixing a dome tent that a friend wants to lend me.

        so back to clothing, looking at the garb I have pulled from storage (thank goodness for plastic totes)
        I have what would be a nice over dress with bell sleeves.. but for the color.....
        It is BRIGHT.. BRIGHT.. turquoise blue/green muslin looking like this
        http://owlandpussycat.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_5034.jpg
        but brighter..really not kidding..
        I want to wear it, I bought it at the last SCA event in CA I went to.

        Is there a way like tea or coffee grounds or a dye?? anything?? I really like the look and the flow but really just cannot wear it with that color.. LOL

        And I know I will wear boots when up on or around my horse, but I know that there will be quite a bit of time where I won't be and want a shoe that I can wear with my garb.
        I found a nice closed toe slipper type shoe I know I can wear but it has only a strap for around the heel.

        Is there a simple pattern to create a "DYI" slipper?
        I have been thinking of doing a moccasin type or english medieval type slipper/shoe made from suede laces and an old leather coat I can pick up at a thrift store, a simple pattern...
        Again just a thought...

        I know I know ...I need to keep it simple but I don't want to show up in tennis shoes and a paper cone hat with a scarf on the end of it, I think I wore that for halloween as a 3 or 4 yr old... LOL
      • Ian Green
        Message 3 of 12 , May 27, 2013
          Hi, I do scribal stuff and in part we scribes deal in color. I make dyes
          that I then turn into ink. I'm certain that there are people here who are
          far more knowledgeable than I am about using dyes for fabrics.

          There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding about color in the middle
          ages. Colors in the middle ages were to the modern eye, vibrant, garish
          and clashing. Their taste in what went together is not always what we
          think of as going well together. Bright colors were perfectly normal.

          Black, there is a color that wasn't seen much. When you did see a good
          flat black that wasn't grey or mottled, it was a declaration of how wealthy
          the person wearing it was (or how wealthy their patron was.) Black is a
          very difficult color to dye fabrics in an even and complete manner.

          Why do we think of colors, especially fabric colors, as being so dull?
          Well, see how faded your clothes are in 600 to 1600 years. :-)

          Well preserved extant pieces are rare. Painting in pristine unfaded
          condition and such of those clothes are also not exactly common.

          Yet we know from making the stuff they made, and from what does survive,
          their colors were very often vibrant. Don't shy away from bright colors,
          they didn't in period.

          Yours in Service,

          Ian the Green

          --
          Yours In Service,

          THLord Ian the Green

          "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

        • Bambi Riggsbee Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , May 27, 2013
            A lot of people wear things that look like the Thoms canvas slipon. This is a mundanely available shoe available in a nuber ove different colors and fabrics. I would avoid thr sequins;~}. People also use karate shoes or chinese slippers. This ate light weight, easy to come by and inexspensive enogh to throw in your bag ad back up shoes should you find the just right pair down the road. I buy them a soze to large when i can so o can outfit them with orthodics.
            As far as tpning down ybe turquoise gown, a lot has to do with the fober content. If it is cotton linen or rayon, or any combination of those celulose fibers, any rit or tintex product could help. I would go for a larg e ammount of blak, or navy dye which would grey out the color some what .

            If the fiber content has a high synthetic content, its kind of a crap shoot but your tea or coffee idea is not a bad one. Ever try to get a coffee or tea stain out of anything? And although not turning stuff brown, it does always darken it.  So i would say yes but in order to havr good results, make yourself a about 2 gallons of black tea concentrated. Use three times the ammont of tea and simmer the teabags in the water for a whle . Then let the sit in it for the afternoon an when you pull them out squeeze em  to get every last drop of brown out. Get a big bucket pour the concentrate in and dilute with enough water to cover the dress. Mix well . Then put the dress in an swirl the whole thi.g under the liquid ao it will stain fairly even ly. Hope thos helps

            Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch