Re: Greetings, Sort of a Newbie... LOL

  • C
    Message 1 of 12 , May 23, 2013
      Thank you all for the encouragement and ideas.

      As I mentioned I have a bit of barding although it is a darker blue and doesn't "pop" against my mares bay coat. I just want to re-use that headstall and breast collar since I have it.
      I actually plan to bring two horses, and have the perfect saddle blanket type barding for the other horse.

      And I don't have a tent of my own yet. not even a "ground pimple" as they are referred to at times.
      Which is why I thought to make one out of "household" ingredients. LOL
      And I need something for my head AND to cover my helmet.
      I have most of my stuff to eat off of and with, and just the fiddly bits to put together... LOL

      Carol
    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 12 , May 24, 2013
        Border Skirmish is a "war" between Northshield and the Middle Kingdom that
        is a whole lot of fun at a great site. Takes place June 7-9.

        http://www.ravenslake.org/BorderSkirmish.html

        I won't be there as I live about an 8 hour drive away and have an 11 month
        old baby. Though you'll be seeing a bunch of people there I know from both
        Kingdoms take some of the classes! I know each of the instructors and they
        are all good and fun people!. Congratulations on your new heirs up in
        Northshield btw, I have heard nothing but good things about your Crown
        Prince and Princess.

        Understand that the only person you need to worry about at the event is
        you. :-) Perfection is not expected by anyone. THL Phillippa who is
        teaching fingerloop braiding made my fencing armor. She refused to do it
        from anything less than a picture of period clothing and she made the
        pattern herself. She sewed it on a machine using non-period materials.
        BTW she is an amazing person and a whiz with fabric arts. She also MADE
        the huge tent that she and her three children camp in at events.

        If you're looking for advice on how to make garb more period you could do
        worse than to talk to Philippa. Of course there is Isbel Mounsdoghter who
        is also an awesome person. I'll be spending the night at her family's place
        this weekend for the Midrealm Kingdom A&S and crown. You can hit her up
        for period sewing information as well. After all it is what she got her
        Laurel in and is one of the most approachable people in the SCA I have ever
        met. If you mention that I sent you, she'll probably ask you how you "met"
        me.

        Me? No, I don't do fiber arts at all and haven't been around horses in a
        long time. I wish you the best and hope the information I gave you will be
        of use to you at the event.

        THL Ian the Green

        --
        Yours In Service,

        THLord Ian the Green

        "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

      • Justinos Tekton
        Message 3 of 12 , May 24, 2013
          On May 23, 2013, at 12:55 , shandra@... wrote:

          > Your horse doesn't need garb... (barding), it's something awesome to have, but if you're just starting out, you don't need it... All the equestrians I know are just thrilled that they have more friends to play with. :)

          It turns out that animals, even without clothing, existed in period. :-)

          Justin

          (Running for cover before the other members of the list pummel me with heavy objects...)
        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 12 , May 24, 2013
            <<< My name is Carol, I live in WI, and did renn faire many years ago in my slightly mispent youth as a volunteer, and my husband and I did a few SCA events with friends in CA, about 13-14 yrs ago. >>>

            Okay, it sounds like you have a bit more information than many new SCA folks start with. There are always local differences between different groups and between different kingdoms. Keep this in mind when looking at the local groups near you in WI. Try to avoid saying things like "But in California they did it this way. It seemed so much better…"

            <<< Luckily i kept most of my garb, and can make some from stuff I see on the internets. I have made costumes on short notice for myself and my horse for parades around halloween. >>>

            Use what you have for now. It will be fine. You can make better or more impressive clothes as you do more. In fact, sometimes it is better as a newcomer to not show up too well dressed. Folks might not realize you are new and be tipped off to help you out as a newcomer.

            I would suggest taking a look at some of the files in the NEWCOMERS section of my Florilegium files.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html

            <<< So... here is my dilema, the garb may not be quite period, or the way it should be.
            And I need to create some barding for my horses, we are going to a border skirmish, and from what I have read online they say "keep it simple"...
            I have a headstall(thing that goes on the horse's head) and breast collar (thing that goes across the horse's chest and helps keep the saddle from slipping if need be). They are more "western/parade" type of thing you might see in the olde tyme westerns Like the Lone Ranger's horse....
            http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/Wnnahrse/Horses/DSCF2295.jpg >>>

            What I see in the photo will work just fine. If you want to change it later, you certainly can. You might be interested in looking at some of the files in the Florilegium EQUESTRIAN section. It will give you an idea of some of the horse-related activities done in the SCA and some of the training that you should do with your horse before attending an event with them. One thing not covered there, because I've yet to get someone to write me an article, is the jousting from horseback. It is a growing activity in central Ansteorra (Texas).

            Only a minority of SCA events have equestrian activities. Some event halls, particularly in big cities, seem to have a problem with allowing horses inside. :-)

            Here are some files in the EQUESTRIAN section:
            Desen-Y-Horse-art (12K) 2/14/10 "Equestrian Games - desensitizing your horse,
            an intro" by Lady Isabell Winter.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/Desen-Y-Horse-art.html

            Horse-Barding-art (14K) 6/29/09 "Introduction to Horse Barding"
            by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/Horse-Barding-art.html

            Int-Equestran-art (10K) 6/29/09 "Introduction to Equestrian Activities in
            the SCA" by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/Int-Equestran-art.html

            <<< AND I need a way to either hide a normal tent OR a way to adapt
            this interior support http://www.welldressedtent.com/index.php
            (look at the pic of the man setting the tent up, it looks like an umbrella) to a tent or pavilion that I could use a supported patio umbrella for a tent…. >>>

            I'm not sure what you are referring to in the picture. It looks like a reasonable attempt at a medieval pavilion. There are people who have made SCA tents from umbrellas. Also, increasingly popular, are the garage shelters. Sometimes used with their plastic covers, sometimes they have these replaced with canvas.

            Round pavilions may or may not have a center pole. Without a center pole it will require longer guy wires, and/or a interior support structure, but it can be done.

            See the STRUCTURES section in the Florilegium for a lot of info on making or buying a pavilion. There is also this file on disguising a tent, although there are still a lot of modern, nylon tents used in the SCA.

            tent-dsguises-msg (23K) 8/16/05 Ideas for disguising modern tents.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-dsguises-msg.html

            dometents-pic (3K) 9/21/94 German Landsknecht camp, painted 1500-1550.
            featuring dome tents.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/dometents-pic.rtf

            Okay, this doesn't seem to be working. I'll look and see what I can do.

            <<< I know it seems odd, but I am trying to use what I have, and being on a budget.....
            You can see my vague dilema... I know I know.. not really a dilema... but I know I will be going to more events and will be joining the SCA as a member. >>>

            If you can sew, you can often barter or sell this skill for other things you want.

            Perhaps these files might be of interest to you, and others.
            Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The Handbook" by
            Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift stores for inexpensive SCA clothing.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html

            SCA-Upcycling-art (16K) 6/ 3/10 "SCA Upcycling: Costuming on a Budget"
            by Lady Jeanne-Marie la Verriere.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/SCA-Upcycling-art.html

            frecyclng-SCA-msg (8K) 5/ 2/11 Freecyling within the SCA. Putting out items
            to give away.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/frecyclng-SCA-msg.html

            I hope this helps get you started.
            Stefan
            --------
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
          • Stefan li Rous
            Message 5 of 12 , May 24, 2013
              Carol asked:
              <<< As I mentioned I have a bit of barding although it is a darker blue and doesn't "pop" against my mares bay coat.>>>

              You said "pop". Do you mean an action, as you are riding? Or do you mean you want it to stand out more color wise?

              Again, what you have now will do and you can always change it later.

              <<< I just want to re-use that headstall and breast collar since I have it.
              I actually plan to bring two horses, and have the perfect saddle blanket type barding for the other horse. >>>

              A bit more on horse items (accessories?):
              p-saddle-bags-msg (12K) 8/ 6/11 Period saddle bags. The ways items were
              carried on horses.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/p-saddle-bags-msg.html

              saddles-msg (12K) 11/26/04 Period saddles. Saddles for SCA use.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/saddles-msg.html

              Sadle-Blankts-art (20K) 11/ 8/08 "Treasures Under the Saddle (16th Century
              Persian Saddle Blanket)" by The Honorable Lady Maria de Andalusia.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/Sadle-Blankts-art.html

              Stirrups-Hist-art (30K) 4/ 8/08 "A Short History Of Equestrian Stirrups" by
              The Honorable Lady Maria de Andalusia.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/EQUESTRIAN/Stirrups-Hist-art.html

              <<< And I don't have a tent of my own yet. not even a "ground pimple" as they are referred to at times.
              Which is why I thought to make one out of "household" ingredients. LOL >>>
              16thC-pavilon-art (16K) 5/30/10 "Constructing a 16th Century European
              Pavilion" by Seamus O'Cearbhaill
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/16thC-pavilon-art.html

              If you are just looking for something to set up alongside the tournament field this is a good alternative to one you might need for overnight camping. If you are looking to do overnight camping, not all kingdoms have such events, I recommend taking a look at the SCA-CAMPING section in the Florilegium.
              MaMSP-art (9K) 9/23/98 article: Making a Medieval Shade Pavilion.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/MaMSP-art.html

              If your sewing machine is one of the older ones, with metal gears, making your own tent is possible, although a lot of work. Here is a starting point. See other files in this section as well.
              tent-making-msg (11K) 4/13/99 Useful ideas when making tents.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-making-msg.html

              <<< And I need something for my head AND to cover my helmet. >>>
              Are you taking about your equestrian helmet? I'm not sure what our local equestrians are using. Those doing jousting are using metal helmets that, i think, meet the SCA combat rules. On a horse you'll need something which will stay on your head. A simple veil may work.
              In the Florilegium ACCESSORIES section:
              veils-msg (20K) 1/31/12 Period veils. How to wear them.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/veils-msg.html

              headgear-msg (114K) 2/ 5/08 Hats, veils and other headgear.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/headgear-msg.html

              <<< I have most of my stuff to eat off of and with, and just the fiddly bits to put together… LOL >>>
              feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the SCA.
              cleaning wooden feast gear.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html

              Stefan
              --------
              Message 6 of 12 , May 25, 2013
                Stefen,

                Thank you so much for the links and the info.
                When I said "pop" it was the color not my horse herself...
                I rode her fir the second time since winter, 2nd time in a week too...
                She is so used to me doing weird stuff to her, I saddled her up and was trotting up and down the driveway with a broom handle, stabbing at a milk jug on the ground and getting her used to me carrying a stick near her head... from up on her back...
                She is a very understanding if neurotic horse.

                I have a wooden chair I can hide under cloth and a folding one, a camp cot, a sleeping bag... and will start on either buying or slightly fixing a dome tent that a friend wants to lend me.

                so back to clothing, looking at the garb I have pulled from storage (thank goodness for plastic totes)
                I have what would be a nice over dress with bell sleeves.. but for the color.....
                It is BRIGHT.. BRIGHT.. turquoise blue/green muslin looking like this
                http://owlandpussycat.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc_5034.jpg
                but brighter..really not kidding..
                I want to wear it, I bought it at the last SCA event in CA I went to.

                Is there a way like tea or coffee grounds or a dye?? anything?? I really like the look and the flow but really just cannot wear it with that color.. LOL

                And I know I will wear boots when up on or around my horse, but I know that there will be quite a bit of time where I won't be and want a shoe that I can wear with my garb.
                I found a nice closed toe slipper type shoe I know I can wear but it has only a strap for around the heel.

                Is there a simple pattern to create a "DYI" slipper?
                I have been thinking of doing a moccasin type or english medieval type slipper/shoe made from suede laces and an old leather coat I can pick up at a thrift store, a simple pattern...
                Again just a thought...

                I know I know ...I need to keep it simple but I don't want to show up in tennis shoes and a paper cone hat with a scarf on the end of it, I think I wore that for halloween as a 3 or 4 yr old... LOL
              • Ian Green
                Message 7 of 12 , May 27, 2013
                  Hi, I do scribal stuff and in part we scribes deal in color. I make dyes
                  that I then turn into ink. I'm certain that there are people here who are
                  far more knowledgeable than I am about using dyes for fabrics.

                  There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding about color in the middle
                  ages. Colors in the middle ages were to the modern eye, vibrant, garish
                  and clashing. Their taste in what went together is not always what we
                  think of as going well together. Bright colors were perfectly normal.

                  Black, there is a color that wasn't seen much. When you did see a good
                  flat black that wasn't grey or mottled, it was a declaration of how wealthy
                  the person wearing it was (or how wealthy their patron was.) Black is a
                  very difficult color to dye fabrics in an even and complete manner.

                  Why do we think of colors, especially fabric colors, as being so dull?
                  Well, see how faded your clothes are in 600 to 1600 years. :-)

                  Well preserved extant pieces are rare. Painting in pristine unfaded
                  condition and such of those clothes are also not exactly common.

                  Yet we know from making the stuff they made, and from what does survive,
                  their colors were very often vibrant. Don't shy away from bright colors,
                  they didn't in period.

                  Yours in Service,

                  Ian the Green

                • Bambi Riggsbee Smith
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 27, 2013
                    A lot of people wear things that look like the Thoms canvas slipon. This is a mundanely available shoe available in a nuber ove different colors and fabrics. I would avoid thr sequins;~}. People also use karate shoes or chinese slippers. This ate light weight, easy to come by and inexspensive enogh to throw in your bag ad back up shoes should you find the just right pair down the road. I buy them a soze to large when i can so o can outfit them with orthodics.
                    As far as tpning down ybe turquoise gown, a lot has to do with the fober content. If it is cotton linen or rayon, or any combination of those celulose fibers, any rit or tintex product could help. I would go for a larg e ammount of blak, or navy dye which would grey out the color some what .

                    If the fiber content has a high synthetic content, its kind of a crap shoot but your tea or coffee idea is not a bad one. Ever try to get a coffee or tea stain out of anything? And although not turning stuff brown, it does always darken it.  So i would say yes but in order to havr good results, make yourself a about 2 gallons of black tea concentrated. Use three times the ammont of tea and simmer the teabags in the water for a whle . Then let the sit in it for the afternoon an when you pull them out squeeze em  to get every last drop of brown out. Get a big bucket pour the concentrate in and dilute with enough water to cover the dress. Mix well . Then put the dress in an swirl the whole thi.g under the liquid ao it will stain fairly even ly. Hope thos helps

                    Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch