Re: [SCA Newcomers] Frustrated

  • Mack Cothran
    Message 1 of 30 , May 16, 2013
      Skoog, I am new to Meridies myself.  I am currently making my own clothing, and would be glad to help if I can.   Where do you live?  I am in Baileyton, but maybe we can get together and come up with something.  I wont make any events this month, but do hope to attend The Boar Hunt in June.  Email me directly at ordcaptain@... and lets exchange contact information and see what we can work out.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 30 , May 16, 2013
        My mother in law may be able to help you. Try contacting her. Her name is THE Catrin Skynith and her number is listed in the popular chivalry under houndsmistress of Meridies. Best of luck.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

        > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
        > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
        > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
        > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
        > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
        > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
        > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
        > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
        > it.

      • loricopland
        Message 3 of 30 , May 17, 2013
          The Chatelaine from your area should have what is called Gold Key which is loaner garb for newcomers. Mack knows the Chatelaine so I am sure he can hook you up and he does know how to sew really well!. The only requirement for an SCA event is an attempt at period garb. If your a male, plain dark sweatpants and either boots or dark sneakers works and a plain long T-shirt. For a female, if you have any long broomstick skirts with a pain top, can pass. Hopefully, at the event you attend they should have loaner garb there as well. Here is a link to making a T-tunic which is basically a long t-shirt. This works for both men and women: http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html don't worry about headgear, not important for beginners. Again, only an attempt is required.

          If you have any other questions, Mack and I will try to help.

          Yours in Service,
          Assistant Seneschal Ostgardr
          Lady Eilionora inghean ui Ruairc
          (mundanely known as Lori O'Rourke Copland)