Re: [SCA Newcomers] Frustrated

  • Mack Cothran
    Message 1 of 30 , May 16, 2013
      Skoog, I am new to Meridies myself.  I am currently making my own clothing, and would be glad to help if I can.   Where do you live?  I am in Baileyton, but maybe we can get together and come up with something.  I wont make any events this month, but do hope to attend The Boar Hunt in June.  Email me directly at ordcaptain@... and lets exchange contact information and see what we can work out.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 30 , May 16, 2013
        On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
        > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
        > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
        > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
        > anything.

        I just posted a generic "there's a gentle trying to get in touch with
        y'all via yahoo" on the Baronial Page ....." We'll see what happens.

        Jerusha
        --
        Susan B. Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Message 3 of 30 , May 16, 2013
          Go here and write to the baron, seneschal and chatelaine.

          http://atlantasca.org/?page_id=25

          On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
          > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
          > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
          > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
          > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
          > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
          > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
          > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
          > it.

        • Jo
          Message 4 of 30 , May 16, 2013
            I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request

            From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

            > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
            > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
            > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
            > anything.

            I just posted a generic "there's a gentle trying to get in touch with
            y'all via yahoo" on the Baronial Page ....." We'll see what happens.

            Jerusha
            --
            Susan B. Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
            College of Science and Math
            http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
            http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer

          • Susan B. Farmer
            Message 5 of 30 , May 16, 2013
              On 5/16/2013 8:41 PM, Jo wrote:
              > I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request

              Thanks! Clearly this good gentle was just hollering in the wrong place!

              Jerusha
              Message 6 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                On 5/16/2013 9:29 PM, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
                > On 5/16/2013 8:41 PM, Jo wrote:
                >> I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request
                >>

                > Thanks! Clearly this good gentle was just hollering in the wrong place!
                >
                > Jerusha

                And that's a pity -- we're so fragmented. Somebody needs to keep an
                eye/ear on all the places!

                Jerusha
                Message 7 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                  On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                  > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                  > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                  > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                  > anything.

                  Danielle, we're getting some nibbles. If you want to PM me here or on
                  Facebook (the middle initial is BAKER) I'll see what we can do.

                  Jerusha
                  --
                  Susan B. Farmer
                  sfarmer@...
                  Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                  College of Science and Math
                  http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
                  http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer
                • Christey
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                    My mother in law may be able to help you. Try contacting her. Her name is THE Catrin Skynith and her number is listed in the popular chivalry under houndsmistress of Meridies. Best of luck.

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

                    > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                    > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                    > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                    > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                    > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                    > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                    > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                    > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                    > it.

                  • loricopland
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 17, 2013
                      The Chatelaine from your area should have what is called Gold Key which is loaner garb for newcomers. Mack knows the Chatelaine so I am sure he can hook you up and he does know how to sew really well!. The only requirement for an SCA event is an attempt at period garb. If your a male, plain dark sweatpants and either boots or dark sneakers works and a plain long T-shirt. For a female, if you have any long broomstick skirts with a pain top, can pass. Hopefully, at the event you attend they should have loaner garb there as well. Here is a link to making a T-tunic which is basically a long t-shirt. This works for both men and women: http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html don't worry about headgear, not important for beginners. Again, only an attempt is required.

                      If you have any other questions, Mack and I will try to help.

                      Yours in Service,
                      Assistant Seneschal Ostgardr
                      Lady Eilionora inghean ui Ruairc
                      (mundanely known as Lori O'Rourke Copland)