Re: [SCA Newcomers] Frustrated

  • Mack Cothran
    Message 1 of 30 , May 16 4:51 PM
      Skoog, I am new to Meridies myself.  I am currently making my own clothing, and would be glad to help if I can.   Where do you live?  I am in Baileyton, but maybe we can get together and come up with something.  I wont make any events this month, but do hope to attend The Boar Hunt in June.  Email me directly at ordcaptain@... and lets exchange contact information and see what we can work out.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 30 , May 16 5:06 PM
        On 5/16/2013 7:38 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
        > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
        > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
        > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
        > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
        > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
        > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
        > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
        > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
        > it.

        Unfortunately there's not a lot of traffic on yahoo these days. Have
        you tried the Facebook group? There's generally loaner garb at most
        Meridian events. I don't know which Barony that you're talking about
        but most of them are quite good about that sort of thing. Feel free to
        email off-list if you want. I'm in way south Georgia, but .....

        Jerusha
        --
        Susan B. Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Message 3 of 30 , May 16 5:10 PM
          I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
          name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
          I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
          anything.

          On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Susan B. Farmer <sfarmer@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On 5/16/2013 7:38 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
          > > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
          > > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for
          > either
          > > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic
          > or
          > > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
          > > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want
          > > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
          > > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
          > > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
          > > it.
          > >

          > Unfortunately there's not a lot of traffic on yahoo these days. Have
          > you tried the Facebook group? There's generally loaner garb at most
          > Meridian events. I don't know which Barony that you're talking about
          > but most of them are quite good about that sort of thing. Feel free to
          > email off-list if you want. I'm in way south Georgia, but .....
          >
          > Jerusha
          > --
          > Susan B. Farmer
          > sfarmer@...
          > Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
          > College of Science and Math
          > http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
          > http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer

        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 30 , May 16 5:12 PM
            On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
            > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
            > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
            > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
            > anything.

            ok. That's them. Most of the other groups actually have *groups*

            And I will say that South Downs is usually much better than that.

            Here's the event page
            https://www.facebook.com/events/157153071117370/?ref=ts&fref=ts -- might
            also be a good place to ask!

            Jerusha
            Message 5 of 30 , May 16 5:17 PM
              On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
              > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
              > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
              > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
              > anything.

              I just posted a generic "there's a gentle trying to get in touch with
              y'all via yahoo" on the Baronial Page ....." We'll see what happens.

              Jerusha
              --
              Susan B. Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
              College of Science and Math
              http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
              http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer
            • Bill Toscano
              Message 6 of 30 , May 16 5:18 PM
                Go here and write to the baron, seneschal and chatelaine.

                http://atlantasca.org/?page_id=25

                On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                > it.

              • Jo
                Message 7 of 30 , May 16 5:41 PM
                  I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request

                  From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 16 6:29 PM
                    On 5/16/2013 8:41 PM, Jo wrote:
                    > I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request

                    Thanks! Clearly this good gentle was just hollering in the wrong place!

                    Jerusha
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 16 6:30 PM
                      On 5/16/2013 9:29 PM, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
                      > On 5/16/2013 8:41 PM, Jo wrote:
                      >> I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request
                      >>

                      > Thanks! Clearly this good gentle was just hollering in the wrong place!
                      >
                      > Jerusha

                      And that's a pity -- we're so fragmented. Somebody needs to keep an
                      eye/ear on all the places!

                      Jerusha
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 16 6:35 PM
                        On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                        > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                        > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                        > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                        > anything.

                        Danielle, we're getting some nibbles. If you want to PM me here or on
                        Facebook (the middle initial is BAKER) I'll see what we can do.

                        Jerusha
                        --
                        Susan B. Farmer
                        sfarmer@...
                        Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                        College of Science and Math
                        http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
                        http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer
                      • Christey
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 16 9:08 PM
                          My mother in law may be able to help you. Try contacting her. Her name is THE Catrin Skynith and her number is listed in the popular chivalry under houndsmistress of Meridies. Best of luck.

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

                          > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                          > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                          > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                          > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                          > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                          > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                          > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                          > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                          > it.

                        • loricopland
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 17 2:36 PM
                            The Chatelaine from your area should have what is called Gold Key which is loaner garb for newcomers. Mack knows the Chatelaine so I am sure he can hook you up and he does know how to sew really well!. The only requirement for an SCA event is an attempt at period garb. If your a male, plain dark sweatpants and either boots or dark sneakers works and a plain long T-shirt. For a female, if you have any long broomstick skirts with a pain top, can pass. Hopefully, at the event you attend they should have loaner garb there as well. Here is a link to making a T-tunic which is basically a long t-shirt. This works for both men and women: http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html don't worry about headgear, not important for beginners. Again, only an attempt is required.

                            If you have any other questions, Mack and I will try to help.

                            Yours in Service,
                            Assistant Seneschal Ostgardr
                            Lady Eilionora inghean ui Ruairc
                            (mundanely known as Lori O'Rourke Copland)