Re: [SCA Newcomers] Another newbie

  • Ian Green
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2013
      Greetings,

      It is good that you are being considerate of such things and it speaks well
      of your person. The rules that govern the entire SCA say that garb can
      only be required at official events. That said, there are many kingdoms
      and baronies and other sub groups that encourage the wearing of garb to
      weekly activities and/or meetings.

      For your first one, show up in regular clothes and talk to the people there
      about what is normal for your area. Nobody should be offended by a
      newcomer being intimately aware of all the local customs and preferences.
      You could contact The Baronial Seneschal. According to the An Tir Crier
      the Kingdom's monthly newsletter that contact information is:

      Aquaterra, barony (Snohomish County, WA):
      Seneschal HL Symonne la Merciere (Pasha
      Logerstedt) / 2430 191st St SE, Bothell, WA
      98012 /

      Phone: 425-446-9283

      E-mail: symonne1561@...

      I hope that helps.

      Yours in Service

      THL Ian the Green

      --
      Yours In Service,

      THLord Ian the Green

      "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

    • Elizabeth Nance
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2013
        In my barony, in An Tir (Vulkanfeldt), no one shows up to weekly
        practices/events in period garb, aside from the armor parts used by
        heavy fighters and rapier for those practices. Social gatherings
        crafting times, etc are all done in mundane clothing, particular if it's
        something that could ruin good garb, like scroll painting and other
        forms of crafting.

        Besides, we're always happy to have newcomers show up, dressed or
        undressed! Newcomers are always welcome!

        -Elizabeth

        On 04-May-13 22:44, travelin99 wrote:
        > Greetings,
        > I live in the Barony of Aquaterra in An Tir, am trying to actually start going to events. I didn't see anyone in the members database listed from Aquaterra, but I want to attend the monthly social this Tuesday in Snohomish, and I'd just like reassurance that people show up in mundane clothing. My period garb is not ready yet and I can't seem to connect with anyone who can direct me in this kind of situation.
        >
        > Can anyone give me a general answer?
        >
        > Thanks.

      • travelin99
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2013
          Thank you all for the replies! I'm reassured.

          *snipped by moderator*