Another newbie

  • travelin99
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2013
      Greetings,
      I live in the Barony of Aquaterra in An Tir, am trying to actually start going to events. I didn't see anyone in the members database listed from Aquaterra, but I want to attend the monthly social this Tuesday in Snohomish, and I'd just like reassurance that people show up in mundane clothing. My period garb is not ready yet and I can't seem to connect with anyone who can direct me in this kind of situation.

      Can anyone give me a general answer?

      Thanks.
    • jm
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2013
        I am in Atlantia, but my Barony does not meet in garb for weekday events.

        FWIW,

        Gwenhwyvar

        On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM, travelin99 <patriciarowe@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I live in the Barony of Aquaterra in An Tir, am trying to actually start
        > going to events. I didn't see anyone in the members database listed from
        > Aquaterra, but I want to attend the monthly social this Tuesday in
        > Snohomish, and I'd just like reassurance that people show up in mundane
        > clothing. My period garb is not ready yet and I can't seem to connect with
        > anyone who can direct me in this kind of situation.
        >
        > Can anyone give me a general answer?
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Ian Green
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2013
          Greetings,

          It is good that you are being considerate of such things and it speaks well
          of your person. The rules that govern the entire SCA say that garb can
          only be required at official events. That said, there are many kingdoms
          and baronies and other sub groups that encourage the wearing of garb to
          weekly activities and/or meetings.

          For your first one, show up in regular clothes and talk to the people there
          about what is normal for your area. Nobody should be offended by a
          newcomer being intimately aware of all the local customs and preferences.
          You could contact The Baronial Seneschal. According to the An Tir Crier
          the Kingdom's monthly newsletter that contact information is:

          Aquaterra, barony (Snohomish County, WA):
          Seneschal HL Symonne la Merciere (Pasha
          Logerstedt) / 2430 191st St SE, Bothell, WA
          98012 /

          Phone: 425-446-9283

          E-mail: symonne1561@...

          I hope that helps.

          Yours in Service

          THL Ian the Green

          --
          Yours In Service,

          THLord Ian the Green

          "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"

        • Elizabeth Nance
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2013
            In my barony, in An Tir (Vulkanfeldt), no one shows up to weekly
            practices/events in period garb, aside from the armor parts used by
            heavy fighters and rapier for those practices. Social gatherings
            crafting times, etc are all done in mundane clothing, particular if it's
            something that could ruin good garb, like scroll painting and other
            forms of crafting.

            Besides, we're always happy to have newcomers show up, dressed or
            undressed! Newcomers are always welcome!

            -Elizabeth

            On 04-May-13 22:44, travelin99 wrote:
            > Greetings,
            > I live in the Barony of Aquaterra in An Tir, am trying to actually start going to events. I didn't see anyone in the members database listed from Aquaterra, but I want to attend the monthly social this Tuesday in Snohomish, and I'd just like reassurance that people show up in mundane clothing. My period garb is not ready yet and I can't seem to connect with anyone who can direct me in this kind of situation.
            >
            > Can anyone give me a general answer?
            >
            > Thanks.

          • travelin99
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2013
              Thank you all for the replies! I'm reassured.

              *snipped by moderator*